Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zippo Armor High Polish Brass Lighter
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: High Polish Brass|Change

on February 16, 2008
Armor models have a thicker metal case and lid than all other Zippos. It's advertised as "1.5 times thicker". I measured and that's exactly right, the walls of the Armor case are .030" thick , regular Zippos are .020" thick. The insert, the removable guts of Armor, is the same as in all Zippos. The hinge is also the standard sized 5 barrel hinge, which is made from metal about .025 thick on both the Armor and regular models.
The extra weight is noticeable in the hand, I like the heft of it. Fully fuelled, it's 10 or 11 grams heavier than a regular Zippo, and it makes a solid, lower pitched click when opened and closed. I measured a fueled regular brass Zippo at 60 grams, a bit over 2 ounces, and the Armor at 70 grams, about 1/3 ounce heavier.
I happen to love the "High Polish Brass" finish, because other Zippos are made of brass then plated or "painted", but with brass there's no finish to wear off. If you use it all the time like I do, it can start looking dull, but it cleans right up in 10 mins with a few cotton balls and some brass polish.
I ordered this from Hat Shark via Amazon and had no problems. This is a very nice Zippo
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
This is a fantastic zippo. It's my first plain brass model, and I don't regret the puchase. It's color is a bit 'gaudy' at first, but the protective layer supposedly wears off and it tarnishes naturally (which I find appealing). If you've ever used a zippo, you know what to expect, but if you've never seen or held an Armor series, you're in for a huge surprise. This thing.... I don't know quite how to put this, but any zippo that I've bought in the past feels like a cheap low quality sheet metal garbage compared to this fine piece of art. This thing is SUPER solid and very very heavy (but not noticeably so in your pocket). The "click" is about an octave lower and definitely makes people look twice because it's the familiar sound, but a more "in your face" sound than a standard zippo. The edges are rounded off (you can see it in the photos), where as normal zippos are kind of on the sharper side in comparison. The butt of the casing doesn't have the familiar crimped bezel that you're used to, but rather it almost rounds out a bit because of the thickness. I was a bit worried about the extra weight for tricks, but it handles perfectly once you play with it for a few minutes.

If you're looking for a tougher than normal zippo, then Armor is for you. If you're looking for a higher quality zippo, then Armor is for you. If you're into tricks, then, again, the Armor is for you.
on November 22, 2011
Decades before the iPod, George G. Blaisdell realized that a small device that fits neatly in the hand, activated by a wheel, could capture the hearts and minds of millions of people seeking a convenient ignition source. Nearly eighty years later, these little talismans of anti-technology continue to fullfill their functional purpose, while providing comfort and joy to their owners. If you own a Zippo, you understand. If not, you don't know what you are missing.
on July 12, 2015
The brand speaks for itself, the best wicked lighters in the world.
However, the armor casing is a leg up on the standard, just has a heftier feel and a better octave (click) when using it.
Lost my first so ordered another, then found the lost one :-).
Have no problem owning two of these.
The shiny coat will dull out and looks really good.
I've attached a photo of my one year old next to my new one that I have used for a few week.
Must buy for the discerning smoker :-)
review image
on August 18, 2014
After reading the reviews of others who received fake Zippos, I checked this lighter carefully. Happily, it is the Real McCoy. Proper date on both box and lighter. Easy to tell it's an armor Zippo even without the armor bottom stamp. It's noticeably heavier than a standard Zippo. A beautiful, true Zippo. Very happy with it. I have purchased 6 Zippos from Amazon, and every single one was a true Zippo, in perfect working order. No complaints with any of them.
on October 1, 2012
perfectly adequate for the task of creating a flame where none presently exists. May be used for "lighting a smoke" or for throwing fire for a short distance as if lighting a bonfire. The reflective surface can be used for signaling.

After two years, a custom engraving and using the original wick, it still lights on the first flick. Never blown out. My durable and classic example of U.S.A. engineering and manufacturing excellence is still in my pocket while I have literally seen friends toss imports and cheap imitations out the window after a month or two. The timeless look of brass with patina wins out over piezo and cheap chrome every time. Buy two and give one to a friend.
on October 23, 2011
What is there to say that hasn't already been said? Classic, rugged, manly.

If you buy this, I give you this advice: do not polish this lighter. It will develop scratches and discolorations, but that is the beauty of brass. It will take on its own character and end up looking very antique and weathered very soon riding in your pocket next to your keys. Just let it happen; the results are pretty cool, actually.
on March 14, 2012
Brass is a fantastic metal and truly timeless. I remember inheriting my great grandpa's war lighter, the brass on it wore beautifully, full of character and stories of places I'll never see. I hope to use this new one every day and if I'm lucky it will wear with as much character as the old, old, old mans and I'll pass both of them on to my children.
on January 25, 2014
This is my second lighter, I had the exact same one except I scribbled all over it and tarnished the finish and lost it, and I still think it's the best all around lighter you can possess. I plan on keeping the finish intact on this one, and I must say it is an exquisite one, pictures don't so it justice. But what's most important to me is the construction, this thing is solid. I can have it cruise around in my pocket, jacket, backpack or whatever else and know this thing will hold up like a champ, I feel like it could take plenty of falls as well. You can really tell the difference with Armor lighters, they are a bit heftier and feel so sturdy. Works like a champ while looking great too, easily my favorite lighter. Would highly recommend.
on January 15, 2010
This high polish brass heavy armor lighter, by Zippo, was a great bargain on amazon. The recommended retail price was US$29.95, whereas this price (US$19.91) was an absolute bargain! Even though I'm in New Zealand, the seller, HatShark, was very prompt and sent it down to me within 8 days, so imagine how fast it would ship within the USA. The armor case is a lot heavier than the regular Zippos, and I like the feel of it in my hand, with the extra weight and all. The case is also 1.5 times thicker than a standard Zippo making it extra durable. But the hinge remains the same as those on the regular Zippos, meaning that the hinge on this lighter must take some extra weight and is more prone to break. It makes a more sturdy and lower pitched click when opened, but still with a rich and full tone. At first I was skeptical about whether this was a fake (rippo) or not as I couldn't see the bottom of it in the pictures, where the information to tell whether it's a genuine Zippo is, but it turned out to be as genuine as can be! I thought it was a bit careless of the seller to mention in the Product Description, that "The Zippo High Polish Brass Armor Heavy lighter is just a plain gold zippo. It includes a black case with the logo Zippo on the low front center with gray dots right above it". This made me think twice about buying it. Of course the title said all there was to say about the lighter, but it would have been wise to include more detail in the Product Description. Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase. The box it came in was an added bonus which is very handy to keep it in.
review image review image review image review image review image review image