5.0 out of 5 stars Zippo's always good

Published 11 months ago by Randall E Kemp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Zippo's always good, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
I loved the look of this solid orange one soon as I spotted it, and I bought it right away, thinking how much I'll save in not having to buy a Bic every week. The only weak part of a Zippo that can go bad is the cover hinge. Long as that's okay, fluid won't evaporate. So far, so good, and I got a case for it, which can help with not screwing up that hinge--when the lighter gets stuck in one's overstuffed pocket. Course just dropping a Zippo can result in that hinge bending so that cover isn't straight or tight.

The best thing about Zippo is that they'll light in the wind, and stay lit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camp lighter--windproof, reliable (needs mod to save fuel), February 25, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter
I bought the Zippo Orange Matte Lighter for lighting fires and stoves when I'm out hiking/camping. The oil-fed windproof Zippo flame is ideal for that purpose because it stays lit even in fairly strong breezes, produces a very tall flame (the flame is about 2" tall), and can be held at fairly steep angles to reach awkward lighting positions without extinguishing itself or burning your fingers. Best of all, you don't have to hold down a button to keep the flame alive as you do with most other lighters (Bic, butane, etc.). In a pinch, you can also use it as an effective candle.

The orange color is excellent for ensuring you can find the lighter again if you drop it in tall grass or a pile of leaves.

The top opens and closes with that distinctive and satisfying Zippo click. The lighter is pretty rugged, as long as you don't torque on the lid while open, which can stress the hinges.

FUEL EVAPORATES QUICKLY; REQUIRES MODIFICATION
My only gripe--the reason for deducting one star--is that after all these years, Zippo still hasn't seriously addressed the known issue of fairly rapid fuel evaporation. That means that if you prefer to use a Zippo as your back up ignition source for wilderness camping, you will need to top off the lighter with fuel right before you go, and should not expect it to last more than three days (sometimes it will go a week before it's all gone, but it can dry out in as little as three days). So, to alleviate that problem, you need to mod the lighter slightly by covering the seam between the lid and body with a rubber loop.

Most people use a 3/4" or 1" wide piece cut from a small inner tube. You can also use broccoli bands (the fat rubber bands some supermarkets wrap around broccoli stems). In my case, I cut a piece off the glow-in-the-dark rubber coating of a small cheap LED flashlight, which works great and also helps me find my lighter in the dark. Whatever you use, it should stretch tightly around the seam between the lid and body, significantly reducing the rate of fuel evaporation.

After this simple fix, my lighter will now go about two weeks between refills--plenty for my purposes. When you want to use the lighter, roll the upper half of the rubber loop down to reveal the seam, open the cap, and flick. After you extinguish the flame, close the cap and roll the rubber loop back up to seal the seam again. Those who use their lighter all the time will be annoyed at the slower process this involves, but if you're using it for less frequent use over an extended period of time, such as camping, then you'll definitely want to wrap your Zippo to save the fuel, and possibly purchase a small fuel-refill canister as well (Zippo makes one that attaches to a keychain).

[UPDATE 11/6/2014: After a lot of use, I still love this lighter, but I've decided to give it up in favor of a simple mini-bic lighter, which is really a far better way to go for my camping purposes. Although the modification I described to reduce the Zippo's fuel evaporation is fairly effective, it only slows (it doesn't stop) the evaporation effect. As a result, if you forget to refill the lighter right before a camping trip, or if you put the lighter in storage for more than two weeks, it will be empty when you go to use it again. I haven't forgotten to refill it yet, but I have had to re-fill it virtually every time I've gone camping this season. Each time, I use it only a few times to light a few fires, then return from camping, stow it away, and then have to re-fill it again the next time I go camping. It's easy enough to re-fill, but the point is that I'm wasting a lot of fuel, and over time, that adds up to wasted money. So I've gone back to the trusty mini-bic lighter which lacks the Zippo's style, but can be packed away for months (years, actually) without losing fuel, and still works on the first flick or two when I need it (and is also lighter in weight). It's a shame because this Zippo is such a nice lighter, but I can't justify wasting fuel and money for no good reason.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Zippo Lighter, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
Bought this for a friend. Seemed to be of very good quality. It is in perfect condition. I believe it is worth more than the price paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected., May 4, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
It's a zippo and when I drop it in the woods, it should be easier to find. It is just what I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 15, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
Works great! Just as expected from what I hear about zippo

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as pictured, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
It looks thinner and brighter in the picture. In actuality its the same width as most Zippos and the color is duller (more like a coral). Still it stands out and is a great Zippo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall great product, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
You need to buy the lighter fluid off course but it works and is a great buy. Sometimes flint can get stuck but if you push the wheel in the opposite direction really fast it should work. It will unjam and that onl happens from overusing in a small perio of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
Zippos are a tool and like a gun need to be maintained all the time from replacing flint to adding lighter fluid and changing wicks. This product is aswell the quality of the zippos as is I'm buy this because I've owned a black zippo and lost it at night and its never been found again. Now I''m getting this orange one so I can find it in my drunken stooper trying to light a cigarettte and being in the woods in the middle of knowwhere at night it kinda helps to have your source of fire easily spotted.

5.0 out of 5 stars zippo, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
Great finish looks like powder coating not shiny. Dropped it a couple times and still not scratched or chipped as of yet. Would recommend it .

3.0 out of 5 stars wrong photo, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Orange Matte Lighter (Sports)
this is probably a small detail to most people, but I am picky, so: In some photos I've seen of this orange lighter, it looks as though the paint was sprayed onto the lighter including the hinge. In others, (as with the photo used in this listing) it appears that the hinge has been masked off and a higher quality, thicker orange coating is used. I bought based on these factors and was a bit disappointed when I got the cheaper-looking one with the paint sprayed over the hinge.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›