4.0 out of 5 stars Zippo Pipe Lighter gets the job done.
Pros: Does what it's supposed to do:
- Lights my pipe without going out/acting funny.
- Lets the flame burn freely when held at 90 degrees.
- Makes it VERY hard to burn the rim, and very easy to light the pipe - the flame simply gets drawn down to the 'baccy, where it belongs.
- Fits ANY Zippo lighter body. Drop in replacement for the standard...
Published on October 11, 2008 by The Common Man

3.0 out of 5 stars less than usual quality
I have owned other Zippo lighters and always been pleased with their performance and workmanship. This is an attractive lighter which works well. Unfortunately, the cap doesnt fit exactly right, leaving a small gap when it is closed. I have tried making some adjustments to make it close tightly, but was unsuccessful.
Published on June 11, 2011 by George Aubrey

4.0 out of 5 stars Zippo Pipe Lighter gets the job done., October 11, 2008
Pros: Does what it's supposed to do:
- Lights my pipe without going out/acting funny.
- Lets the flame burn freely when held at 90 degrees.
- Fits ANY Zippo lighter body. Drop in replacement for the standard cage-style 'windproof' lighter.

Con: Just something to be aware of:
- The top of the flame cage is a little bit loose at first, and may come off (just a bit of stamped metal over the wick (removable for wick maintenance). After 10 or so pipe fulls, it had tempered enough from the heat to become firmly seated.

Works VERY well, a quality product that is easy to use. Unlike torch lighters that require careful aim, the zippo flame follows the draught of air as you puff. It's just foolproof!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lighter for casual pipe smokers, July 24, 2009
Kane Cheung "xy1981ca" (pomona, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
The Zippo pipe lighter is a reliable budget lighter for pipe smokers. Its pipe insert works well for pipes up to 3" deep. Because the flame doesn't touch the tobacco until it is drawn in, the result is a very soft flame. It seems that it is even softer than a match flame. This produced a very sweet smoke, just like when using matches. The Zippo makes it much more convenient to light a pipe than using matches. It is also much easier to use than lighters that you have to spin the lighter wheel (like Bic). Sometimes I'd knock my pipe when I spin the wheel too close to the pipe, I don't like that at all. The zippo rests on top of the pipe rim without scorching it and it makes aiming the flame very easy.

The problem with the zippo is that it doesn't hold the fluid in very well. I think I was supposed to fluff up the raydon cotton balls first before filling it, because I shook it a bit and fluid began flying out. This did not happen with my generic zippo lighters and the difference was that the raydon balls were filled to the brim. Zippos are also known to have its fluid evaporate too quickly, requiring refills. This seems to be true, I had to refill within less than 20 lights. But again, this could be due to my not fluffing out the raydon balls first. This is also why I say that this lighter is good for casual pipe smokers, as it may require more refills than decent a butane lighter. The new black can zippo fluid didn't seem to add taste to the smoke, there were instances where I tasted a hint of fluid but was gone after the lighter was removed. The new fluid still smells just as bad as the normal kind but I have not done a taste comparison.

Overall, the zippo pipe lighter seems to have a lot of good advantages over butane lighters. Unless you have a much more expensive lighter that can produce a nice soft flame, I don't think you can really beat the zippo for the price & reliability. Zippos are also very reliable and all parts can be replaced. I have a Maruman lighter from my dad, it's a beautiful lighter and supposedly works great. But it leaks butane, it needs a new gasket and the filling hole is not standard, it also needs a new coin battery and I think the lighter needs a thorough cleaning. With a zippo, I can easily repair whatever is wrong with it, and even if I had to replace the lighter, it's not very expensive at all. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the last lighter you will ever buy, September 27, 2013
Kelli "D." (Kentwood, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
Zippo lighters are the best out there, period. I have been smoking a pipe for a long time, and my trusty zippo pipe lighter has always (and continues to) work reliably. I have had a chrome Zippo pipe lighter for over 8 years (matches before that) and it still, to this day, works like the day I got it. The ony reason I got this particular one (same one, different color) is that I wanted to treat myself to a different color. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING has ever gone wrong with my Zippo, and the only things nI have ever had to do to it have been: refuel, change flint, change wick. I have dropped it, sat on it, and it still works.

There are a lot of pipe lighters out there, many will cost you several times more than this and will not last you. Go ahead and research the fancier pipe lighters out there, you will find that something always goes wrong with them. Zippo has, for generations, made a quality product at a low price, and it continues to do so. They stand behind their product 100% and, in the unlikely event that something does break they will send you a replacement part FREE.

Butane lighters are cool looking, but do not last without costly repairs. If you want consistent performance, year after year, either get matches or a Zippo, a fancy and expensive lighter with electric ignition will not last you. Go ahead, search the "main players" out there and see waht people are saying.

A few things to keep in mind:

- People complain that the lighter spills fluid, but this only happens if you over fill it. Add fluid until you see the wick gets moist (without dripping) and you will be fine.
- People out there complain that they can taste the lighter fluid. Well, I never had this issue.
- People complain they have to re-fill the lighter (DUH! it's a re-fillable lighter). A fill will last you about a week, I'd say that's reasonable.
- One thin I heard that it is absolutely and utterly ridiculuous is that you have to such the flame down too hard to get it to the tobacco. If you have to suck like a vacuum cleaner to light your tobacco, you simply do not know how to pack your pipe, period.

I will not spend 10 times as much for Chinese made garbage when I can get a good, quality product, at a fraction of the price, made in the U.S. and guaranteed for life. Trust me, you are unlikely to ever have to use the warranty.

Matches are great for lighting a pipe, but not as convenient. Bic lighters are good to have stuck in a drawer if you run out of fluid or matches. If you want a proper pipe lighter that will last you your entire life time and will be easy on the wallet, get a Zippo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pipe lighter. A few small complaints...nothing major., February 3, 2011
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
This is the first and only pipe lighter I've owned, so I can't compare it to something else like a butane torch pipe lighter. I like the Zippo pipe lighter because it's easy to keep lit in the wind because of Zippo's "wet wick" design where the wick is always in the lighter fluid and will always light (unless you drop it in the snow like I did the first time I used it...until it dries out). When matches won't work because of wind, as is the case in Indiana in windy winter, I rely on the pipe lighter. It gets the job done.

There are two things I don't like much about it. When it's windy out, sometimes it's a little more difficult to suck the flame down into the bowl and get a good light. Because the lighter is designed to have the flame shoot straight up so that when you put it over the bowl you suck it straight down in (to not burn the rim of the bowl), you sometimes have to suck pretty hard...especially if your tobacco is low in the bowl. However, last night I was smoking outside and it was a little windy, and I was still able to light my tobacco, which was 1/4 to 1/3 filling the bowl.

The second thing I don't like much, but isn't that big of a deal, is the smell of the lighter fluid. If you're inside and you open the lid of the lighter, you can smell the fluid. The good thing is, I haven't tasted it at all in the tobacco, or when I light the pipe and suck the flame down. So that's good. It's just a minor annoyance to smell fluid when you open the lighter. I read I was supposed to buy the black zippo can of lighter fluid, which is what I did. I think it's fine to use with the tobacco because you can't taste it.

For the price, I think the Zippo pipe lighter is a great purchase. Zippo's are known for reliability and durability, and it should last a long time. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case. If you're on a pretty tight budget like me but are looking for a good pipe lighter that won't cost you $75 or more, I'd recommend the zippo.

Also, make sure you buy lighter fluid because it doesn't come filled...a mistake I made.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fill up - good for the day . . ., January 17, 2013
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
I have had Zippo lighters for going on 45 years and few have been as disappointing as this particular article. Using Zippo brand fluid, I fill it up and within the waking day, it has gone dry. It is now relegated to stuff drawer and an older, battered and bruised Zippo has been called out of retirement. I do like the flat black finish and the itty-bitty pipe depicted on one side, and the special pipe-smoker's cowl over the wick would be nice if the damn thing didn't go dry so fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lighter!, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
Easy to use for a first time pipe smoker. Lights evenly and efficiently. It burns the wick quickly, but that should be expected when you are learning how much fluid to add. ALso, it didn't come with any extra wicks or any fluid at all. So, buyers should be aware of other purchases they will need to make.

3.0 out of 5 stars less than usual quality, June 11, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Outdoor Pipe Lighter, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
Like all zippo products I've ever owned this a is a quality lighter that works just as intended. Works great for lighting a pipe, and when using the "black" zippo lighter fluid, I have not noticed any undesired flavors from the lighter. The pipe "insert" is the same shape as every other standard insert (just the chimney is different) and can be swapped into any other zippo "case" which is a plus since I have a number of older cases I am rather fond of. Indoors I still use matches to light my pipe but outdoors this is an excellent tool to have and is a lot less work then matches. As a note this lighter is specifically designed for lighting a pipe, it must be held sideways for the flame to protrude from the chimney so unless you are intending to use this as a pipe lighter I would stick with a regular Zippo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great long lasting lighter for the pipe smoker..., June 19, 2010
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
This pipe lighter ia a great quality lighter that you know will last a long time because it is backed by the zippo name. It has a plate on top and two holes on the sides of the chimney to draw the flame directly into the pipe when put on top of the pipe bowl. I was worried that this lighter would leave the taste of lighter fluid in your mouth but nothing but the taste of the tobacco is present. Not to mention it hasn't burned any of the tobacco yet. It can handle a wide variety of diffrent size pipe bowls and it wont burn the wood on the outside of your pipe. Overall this is a great pipe lighter for the occasional pipe smoker to even the intermediate that should give you years of use.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay! Not more!, December 11, 2013
FA Cabs (Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter (Sports)
Clearly I have not become a Zippo aficionado. I grew tired of replacing regular- or torch lighters on what appeared to be a monthly basis (slight hyperbole.) The Zippo lighter functions okay, is a bit of a pain to keep filled, but more importantly I do not find it suited to light a pipe; even less under windy circumstances. Its lighting mechanism is undoubtedly more reliable than that of the regular lighters or torch lighters, which, for some inexplicable reason, appear to stop functioning after a while (no matter how expensive.) We put men on the moon, send vehicles to Mars, build gorgeous electric cars, but nobody can build a reliable, lasting lighter!

Zippo Pipe Black Matte Lighter