5.0 out of 5 stars Fanstastic Lighter
I don't smoke or do anything that really requires a lighter on a day to day basis, but I do go camping, and trying to light stoves with matches when the wind is blowing is an absolute pain. So after seeing my friend's Zippo I decided to purchase one of my own.

All my stuff is black, my keys, phone, wallet, etc., so I wanted a black lighter to go with it...
Published on November 29, 2010 by Revo

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy these again
Published 1 month ago by peace2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanstastic Lighter, November 29, 2010
This review is from: Zippo Classic Lighter - Green Matte (Sports)

I looked at the "black ice" Zippo but after reading the reviews it wasn't black but more of a dark gray chrome, and I didn't really want a polished/shiny Zippo either. So I found this one and it seemed to fit the bill perfectly. The finish is smooth but not at all reflective. It is so nice my friend decided to order a matte white one. (I'm not going to mention anything about the functionality of the lighter since it's been covered in all the other reviews - it works perfectly just as you would expect from a Zippo.)

I ordered it and picked up some Zippo fluid at a local smoke shop (while the lighter itself is cheaper on Amazon the fluid was about twice as much). When it arrived, it arrived just like any other genuine Zippo you read about - boxed with the warranty sheet, safety stickers and all.

The only thing I was worried about was the finish, but the finish has held up perfectly so far. I've over filled the lighter a couple times and lit the exterior finish on fire multiple times and my friend dropped it onto my driveway the day I got it (made me cringe, but it didn't do any damage) - the finish is still like new.

Now I'm already looking to purchase a second Zippo lighter.

I highly recommend any Zippo lighter if you are looking for one, and this one if you want a black one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not broke -- don't fix it., May 15, 2009
This review is from: Zippo Classic Lighter - Green Matte (Sports)
This lighter is the time-tested fluid lighter that has been used for the last half cenruty.
It works great, is durable and windproof (except in a full gale). As soon as I filled it with lighter fluid I was set.
I also placed a couple of extra flints inside the lighter (under the bottom felt pad) for replacement of the flint.
I prefer this over the butane lighters because lighter fluid stores easily, refills are quick and easy and the lighter works for quite a time before needing another fill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Zippo, July 24, 2010
Patrick R. Allard (Black Hills, SD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zippo Classic Lighter - Green Matte (Sports)
I purchased this zippo about 3 months ago just for fun. I got it mainly for my military job where matte black is standard regulation but also use it for camping, hiking, and everything else in my daily life (I do not smoke). You can't really go wrong for $15 especially when you have to pay $30+ in most other places.

The bottom has the usual zippo stamp but has a glazed coating over it so that it doesn't shine (very good, or else it would defeat the purpose of the matte black finish).
I have noticed on most zippos that the insert rides up after the top is opened and closed a few times and needs to be pushed back down into place so the lid can close. kind of annoying but nothing too bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit false advertisement, but it's okay., October 14, 2012
Colleen (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I don't smoke, and I am not a pyro-maniac. I ordered this lighter mostly out of my love for a good-quality, American-made Zippo. I really liked the look of the chrome hinge on the dark navy blue, so I thought, "This is the lighter for me." When it came in the mail, the hinge was just as blue as the rest of the lighter. It's a little thing, but it sure did make me sad. Other than that, the Zippo lights well, and has the classic "click" that you hear when you flip the top. Good product.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy these again, June 12, 2014
I bought three of these Zippo lighters in different colors after watching six seasons of Madmen. Thankfully, I am not using them to light cigarettes; I use them for lighting incense, which is placed throughout my home. Unfortunately, these lighters have to be filled so frequently, it's time-consuming . . . and a bit messy. If I had it to do over again, I would not purchase these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! :D, July 8, 2013
If you like the color, tgen dont question it, buy it! This is an American made classic that works perfectly! I highly reccomend this lighter.

Two hours later: I still love it ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars read the negitive reviews not the good ones., June 30, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Classic Lighter - Green Matte (Sports)
There are so many 5 star reviews. I wish I read the real ones before I bought. Leaks. Holds fluid for 2 weeks. Max. Take 10 turns to start. That kills the wick and the flint really fast btw. Not worth 16 $ this is either a fake zippo or they dont make hem like they used too. Smaller and cheaper looking then I expected

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly simple design since 1932 - it just works, June 7, 2012
I'm a nonsmoker and this is my first zippo purchase (that almost sounds like an AA confession). I grew up around smokers who had Zippo lighters and the smell of the fluid is nostalgic to me. I was surprised at how simple and low tech the insert was (I suppose it was the pinnacle of technology when they were originally rolled out). When I saw that the fuel chamber was basically soaked cotton I said "WOW - REALLY?!" HOWEVER - this is a great example of a simple design that just works. Why change it? It's darn cool.
I need to say a couple of things to address complaints and/or questions that others have posted:
*Of course these ship empty and without lighter fluid - it's against the law to ship this type of lighter prefilled - mainly because the fuel chamber is not airtight and that presents somewhat of a fire hazard to those hard working shipping folks that deliver our packages.
*I found from personal experience that it's a good idea to let the lighter sit for a few minutes after refilling to allow any excess fluid to evaporate (sorry, mom . . the wig looks great!)
*yes, the fluid evaporates over time if not used. . . see above about non-airtight chamber
This is a great little device to add to my camping gear for firestarting, and honestly, there's something about the "chick-clunk" sound that is just so COOL!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a Zippo... but don't expect it to stay black, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Zippo Classic Lighter - Green Matte (Sports)
So, as far as a pure and simple lighter goes, this works. It's a Zippo. As long as you've fueled it every day or so and you keep a spare flint in the bottom, it'll work.

I ordered *this* particular Zippo because I like matte black things, and I was hoping that their coating would hold up to moderate use and even occasional abuse... and it doesn't. I've had it for oh... maybe two months now, and the black coating on one entire edge has worn off and is brightly displaying the brass underneath... and this started maybe a week after receiving it. Within another two months, I expect it to be mostly brass-colored.

I keep the lighter either in my coin pocket (no coins in the pocket) if I'm wearing jeans or in my front right pocket (with nothing else in the pocket) if I'm wearing ACUs, so it hasn't been rubbing or scraping against anything that it shouldn't have been, so to my eyes there's no real bloody excuse for why the coating is wearing off so quickly, other than that it's simply a poor coating. Yes, it still lights my cigarette, and that's what really matters, but honestly I'd expected better quality in materials from Zippo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and reliable, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Zippo Classic Lighter - Green Matte (Sports)
I have owned one of these for 15 years, and it still works like a charm. I'm not a smoker, but needed a reliable lighter for camping and backpacking trips. I chose a Zippo based on the general reputation that Zippo has. I chose the black matte finish because at the time I thought it looked cool (and I still do). I have never regretted my choice. My Zippo has been all over with me: up mountain and down valley, in heat and in cold, and has never let me down, even in windy conditions.

Please note that wick lighters like this one require simple maintenance to keep working. The fuel gets used up and/or evaporates over time, so you do have to fill it up periodically. Wicks and flints will need replacing depending on how much you use it.

Price, reliability, and quality combine to make this lighter a good choice.

Rate and Discover Movies