Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zircon StudSensor e40 Electronic Stud Finder
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon December 12, 2011
I ultimately had to end up drilling my wall like a big piece of Swiss cheese, to find the studs.
While this stud finder, did give a general good indication of where a couple of those studs were located, I could not get a consistent reading, at different vertical positions on the wall. (including electrical wiring warnings) If there is a more reliable tool, I'd pay extra for it. This unit, ultimately only served as a very broad guide for locating possible suitable areas for drilling.
on August 28, 2011
I tested this thing out in a well known hardware store and it worked great. Got home and it worked just as good. Very well for the price, can't go wrong at all. It comes with some tips as well. Good luck!
on January 17, 2012
I could not get a consistent reading with this. The edge of stud would come out different on several occasions.
on December 26, 2011
I picked this up to help with installing safety rails in a family members bathtub. It was horribly inaccurate through fiberglass and wall board. False negatives. False positives. It really turned my job and my day into a living hell.
on September 7, 2012
the only way this so-called stud finder is going to find a wall stud is if you show it where it is. took a sheet of 1/2 inch unfinished drywall and mounted it to the wall, and screwed in place. knew where the studs were (the top portions were exposed). slid the stud finder across the sheet of drywall. not only did it not locate the stud through the drywall, it started flashing indicating that there was electrical existing. the closest electrical hazard was the cord attached to my screw gun which was on ladder about 6 feet away. bottom line, this stud finder couldn't find a stud in a lumber yard.
on February 28, 2012
I cannot get this thing to give consistent readings most of the time. It seems all over the place no matter how slow I go or how careful I am to hold it to the wall. A few times it repeated readings enough to risk driving something into the wall, but after a year I chunked it in the trash angry.
on January 7, 2013
I have used this stud finder to locate about 15 studs so far. I used it to install upside down hangers in my garage ceiling for 3 bicycles, to install hangers for some ladders and other gardening equipment, and to install a wall mounted A/V unit. The process of finding the studs is quite painful. The device almost never shows the stud edge in the exact same place twice. So if you ever second guess yourself and scan again, you will be completely confused. What should take only a couple of minutes becomes a 30 to 60 minute exercise as you try over and over again to ensure you have correctly located the stud. I never felt confident with a single scan if I had located the edges of a stud and marked its center correctly. I had to take multiple readings, mark edges multiple times at multiple places along a stud and then draw a line through the center of many marks to ensure I had the center. The more scans I did the more vague my results were.

I recently purchased a magnetic stud finder - the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder. This one is very simple to use. I have not yet used it for an actual installation but I tested it with some of my previous installs and it seems to consistently find nails in the dry wall that hold the drywall to the studs behind it - and it always lines up with the holes I have drilled. I see myself using this in combination with the Zircon e40 on future installs. I am expecting my next install (another wall mounted A/V unit) to go much faster using both the devices.

As much as I want to get rid of this device now that I have the magnetic stud finder, I will continue to use this because it also scans for electrical wiring behind the drywall. I can't say how reliable this feature is - because, again, I can't be sure if it is right. The electrical wiring warning light seems to go off for no reason when scanning sometimes - but better safe than sorry is my motto. So if I get a 'hot' reading - I just stay away from the spot.

By itself, I won't say this is a reliable product. I had a friend bring a slightly older model of Zircon, and it gave readings similar to this one. I like that it shines an arrow shaped light when it finds the edge of a stud (the older model did not). I just wish I could be even 90% sure that it had actually found the edge of a stud.
on August 12, 2014
I was in Lowes looking for a stud finder and this seemed like a good deal (next one up was $50). So I bought it without looking at the reviews. Bad choice. It seems easy to use but is worthless. Found 12 different stud locations on the same 4'x4' space of wall. I would mark a stud location then measure again and the stud disappeared. I had no less then 12 "studs" marked all over the wall. After what seemed like a true stud finding (3 successful measures), I drilled. Nothing but air. Even after the non-stud drilling, the finder repeatedly measured it as a stud. Save the money and time and invest in a better stud finder before wasting your money on this one.
on August 2, 2014
It does the job I need it to do. I also like the fact that I can detect electrical wiring inside the walls. I haven't used it much yet to know how accurate the electrical detection really is, but I'm a general contractor and will update this review if I hack into some wires that it didn't detect.
on September 7, 2013
This tem arrived quicker then it said it would. I bought this for $15 including shipping. Then I went to Walmart and saw the same thing for only $10. It works as described. A little moody on rare occasions but it works well enough to do its job. Requires a 9 volt battery, (not included).