5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, inexpensive starter setup.
Pros:
-Very inexpensive
-Comes with all you need to get started (4 cameras, you can add up to another 4)
-flexibly programmable for each channel: Framerate, motion alarms, privacy areas, schedules,more...
-Can be accessed on your local network or via internet if you have the network chops to config that.
-The DVR is the latest relase from the...
Published on March 1, 2012 by Larry Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific Customer Service Bad Quality.
Published 23 months ago by Lexus9977

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, inexpensive starter setup., March 1, 2012
This review is from: Zmodo Surveillance System with 4 Weatherproof IR Cameras PKD-DK0863-NHD (Hard Drive Not Included) (Electronics)
Pros:
-Very inexpensive
-The DVR is the latest relase from the manufacturer, as of 2/2012
-Support is great, was willing to talk me through a few setup questions and workaround one bug I found in their firmware (see below)

Cons:
-Wires seem to be lacking a bit in shielding, they pick up a little intereference when run at full length through attic where other A/C wires are.
-Included cameras are not the sharpest image. Considering they are practically thrown in for free...
-Total supported framerate a bit on the low side, buy forgiveable at the current price point.
-Shipping from the manufacturer took a month. I noticed that after I put the order in, so shame on me, I'm spoiled.

For reference, I paid One Hundred and Thirty dollars in January '12. If you're handy enough to install your own hard drive, this might be one to get. Recommend a 500gb at least. Manufacturer told me not to go all the way to 2TB, they've run into problems with stability with that big a drive. Don't forget to make it an AV rated hard drive. I used a Western Digital Green Power 500gb, which worked fine!

Also, ran into one problem: you must use IE to view the box over the network. And, IE 9 has a glitch with setting up alarm areas per each channel. IE 8 works fine, or just go to the console to set it up there. Support is now aware of the problem.

So now its set up and running... I already used it to identify who masking-taped a flyer to the front of my house, just for fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific Customer Service Bad Quality., September 10, 2012
The DVR is not of the best quality and mine broke after about 6 month. The hold time for customer service representative is very long and when you get them they are not paying attention to what you are saying. The company is not cognizant of customers time. I would rather pay a bit more and get better quality product from a company that provides better customer service. T

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, March 8, 2013
I bought this and it did not work. Will be sending back. Appeared to be made very cheap. Connectors on back of dvr were loose and it affected the picture. The cameras were jummpy and kept trying to come through on channels that weren't even hooked up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, July 23, 2012
Horrible system. Broken right out of the box. Customer service can't keep story straight and doesn't seem to want to work with customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent system, February 22, 2013
I installed camera systems for over 25 years in banks, saving and loans, etc. Both in the U.S. and for the Mexican government. Reading some of the reviews made me a bit nervous on this system, but I ordered it anyway. Here's the deal. For this price you are getting three of the cameras for free. Someone said there were no screws included for the sun shade on the cameras. That is not a screw hole. It is there in case you want to mount the camera UNDER something. That way the swivel mount can screw into the top. The iris shade is on a well designed pressure slide. It will not move by itself. Someone else said the colors are off. Maybe they had some adjustment issues. I installed mine and the colors are pretty much true to life, at least in my application. If you are new to this, first do what they tell you to do, set it all up and TEST it BEFORE you run all the cables! Second, mark with tape the end of the cable that goes into the dvr, or the camera if you want. DO NOT run the cables and then discover you ran them backwards! I dropped a 2T HD in and of course it has to format. Someone complained it wanted to format the drive. It takes about two minutes and you are ready to record. A sweet little system for this price is hard to find. A huge bonus is you can always add four more cameras later if you want.

2.0 out of 5 stars Chinese product has just hit whole new low, December 13, 2012
I gave two stars because this is truly a miracle come true. However the miracle lies in how far the Chinese mfg are willing to go in the name of cost saving. For example, in order to save cost they skip screw to fasten the little "hood" that goes over the camera.

Just to be fair, DVR does work, and so does the cameras. Do they work well, no. One of the camera IR emitter promptly burn out half of its LEDs after only 3 hours of on time. Now, let's go over a few things.

- Camera resolution. It's so bad that you won't be able to see facial feature of a person standing 15 feet away. So, for the purpose of security camera to ID the bad guy, this camera will most certainly fail the task.
- Camera color. Brown looks purple. Green looks gray. But, it is able to tell colors apart. Since I only spend $120 for the whole set, I think I can live with it.
- DVR resolution and frame rate. Grossly over estimated on Zmodo's web site. 240fps in CIF mode. with 60fps in D1 mode. Keep in mind this frame rate is share by all channels. But when I tried to set 30FPS for channel one and two, the software knock me back to 18fps max. What gives?!?!

For comparison, I also own Foscam FI8918W IP cam. Although both cameras have similar spec. This unit makes the Foscam FI8918W unit look like HD cam.

All in all, this set is good enough if you just want to know if some is snooping around house, or check to see if UPS/Fedex left package at your front door. For true security camera usage, the resolution of the camera and usable frame rate will need to be much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why I don't like this DVR, May 22, 2013
This DVR does not have adequate ventilation, nor does it have a fan. I ran this overnight, opened it, touched the hard drive and almost burned my fingers. For sure any hard drive won't last long.

Also, if you set your system up to do motion detect and record at the same time, this DVR does not break the files up, meaning you cannot view the motion detect files. The only way to see them is to look in the log file and they are buried deep inside there. absolutely you cannot possibly view the motion detect files on the pc client software. The only way to view the motion detect files is to set the schedule to not record continuous and record motion only, then they are available.

I have the 4 channel version and I can list both motion and continuous at the same time.
I removed this unit and bought their 16 channel and it works great, 2 fans and can record continuous and motion at the same time and review each as I like.

I do however love the cameras, big bang for the buck. Color is great and the 24 IR LEDs work good at night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, May 23, 2012
UPDATE 5-26-2012 For Mac users with OS X. I just found on the app store "vMEye+" that allows you to view this model on Mac! The app is just ok but does work. For iPad read my notes below!

I just got this today. I don't think you can beat it for the price. Here is what you need to know.

1. It doesn't come with a hard drive. Thats one reason why the lower price. But I bought a 1T for $100 and put it in myself. It was simple. Or they have an option on here to buy this same system with a 500g drive around $250. More than I paid with a 1T drive.

2. The cameras are not good in low light. Compared to some other cameras I had these are poor. Especially poor for outdoor use. You could however use them in a small room or position them to be right on a door. With the money you save buy a higher end night camera and you'll be set.

3. Customer service for me was awesome! Seriously, I'm still shocked it was so good. I called twice and had hardly any wait. Both times they were great to help out. My previous experience with another security DVR company was not the same...

4. I did get my remote viewing to work on iPad 2 and iPod touch using the "APlayer" app. It was free in the app store. Someone else said it didn't work but seems to be fine for me. The viewable window on the iPad is formatted to the size of my iPod but you can hit the 2x and stretch it. It works at a low quality. It would be nice to see an update for the iPad. Still ok though.

The instructions are not so easy. Most DVR security companies seem to have this problem but I would recommend this to a friend without a doubt. It's by far the biggest bang for the buck!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad system...., June 20, 2012
Originally bought it and I was unaware that it had no hdd...a dvr quality sata hdd....so instead of sending it back...because it was already installed, I called Amazon...Luckily they were upfront with the fact that until a few days ago it was unadvertised that the hdd was missing, they sent me a hq primo dvr hdd.....

easy setup, easy ui...happy now...

always check for reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price., January 22, 2013
Joseph Palmer (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
They should support linux outside the box if they are going to implement it inside. I use Ubuntu and it is very difficult to control the device using their software via WINE.

Rate and Discover Movies