1,089
Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker, Black
Color: BlackChange
Price:$222.58 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 6, 2011
I purchased this machine about five months ago and have made 2-3 loaves/week, so that's at least 45-50 loaves, each without any serious problem. I've used bread machines for the last 20 years and overall, this is the best.

I do use prepared bread machine mixes most of the time but even the ones from my recipe books came out fine.

Before I purchased this machine, I researched every machine here and every machine had it's share of 1 star ratings and negative comments. Sometimes, reading between the lines helps to understand what the problems really were. Anyway, this machine had tons of rave reviews as well and since I am in love with my Zojirushi rice cooker, I decided to go with this one and haven't been disappointed.

Once in awhile, the lighter breads are a bit hard to remove from the pan because the paddles have penetrated and the bread doesn't have enough weight to pull away when you turn the pan upside down. But that's a minor problem and a few shakes and it's out.

Lets put it this way. If I had to purchase another machine today, I would purchase the same one.

UPDATE 11/18
This machine continues to perform perfectly. I have now branched out from prepared bread mixes to bread from scratch and the machine continues to bake great loaves even though my measurements aren;t always exact. Just couldn't be happier!
on July 29, 2010
After researching bread machines for months, I finally broke down and bought the Zoji. I was concerned about the price but the positive reviews swayed me to spend the extra money. I am really pleased that I did. I make 4-5 loaves a week and have not bought store bought bread for months. The recipes that come with the machine are fine but I listened to a few other reviewers and bought The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and couldn't be happier. I have been trying out different recipes and my kids love it. Our favorite is Honey Whole Wheat but I make at least one new bread every week. One point I would make to people new to breadmaking, make sure you measure accurately and use fresh ingredients. I used some older wheat flour my first try and it was a disaster! I keep my flours in the freezer and the gluten and yeast in the fridge and have not had any problems since.
on December 20, 2010
About a year ago we bought a Breadman Pro breadmaker, which was OK. But it has started to have the spindle for the paddle fall out, which can be a bit awkward if it happens at the wrong time. Parts are hard to find, so I decided to get another breadmaker. When I was looking last year, I was very taken by this Zojirushi, but we got the Breadman Pro locally for about $50, so we went with that.

The Zojirushi arrived very quickly and in good order. I washed the pan and paddles, set it up, and decided to try the Basic White loaf. Result: a really good loaf of bread. The best I've ever tasted? No, but very, very good!

Comparisons. The Zojirushi is much, much quieter in operation. Very quiet, in fact, which is much appreciated. I am careful with my measurements for bread, but I got this loaf as a far better 2 lb. loaf than the Breadman Pro could do. The shape was better, it had a nice crust (I think it was the butter), and was more even within in terms of texture and form. The two smaller paddles came out of the loaf very cleanly and left far less disturbance than in the Breadman Pro (which has one larger paddle). And the indentations were crusted, rather than torn bread.

The larger pan of the Zojirushi allows a 2 lb. loaf that is longer (about 1.5 inches) and so not as high as the Breadman Pro. It doesn't spill over the sides of the pan. The shape fits nicely into the bread cutting form we have, so we can slice it nicely. At present, sandwiches for all 5 of us for lunch consumes a whole loaf, less a couple of slices, so this longer loaf will allow us more slices per loaf. I had cut back to 1.5 lb loaves with the Breadman Pro, as the shape of the top of the 2 lb. loaves wasn't good for cutting and using for sandwiches, but these 2 lb. loaves will do us very nicely.

Still to be tested is whole wheat bread and various specialty recipes. But this good start is very promising. Will report back later.

June, 2011, Update. This machine is still amazing. It produces excellent raisin loaf, and the recipe for the custom Crusty French Bread can be run through the ordinary cycle with excellent results: it's my more common loaf. We've produced a load a day for most of the time we've had it, and it has worked very, very well. Loaves are a good shape for sandwiches. It produces very good bread with some wholemeal flour, but fully wholemeal loaves are still a bit heavy, but the family still eat them: I need to experiment more! Various other loaves from the recipe book have been great.

Points to watch. As noted in other reviews, you do need to get the paddles out when washing the pan, but the non-stick surface makes this easy. The non-stick material on the 6 rivet heads on the base of the pan seems a little less effective, and a little material may adhere to the spindles, but these are simple checks you washed it properly. I don't think I've had a time where a paddle has stayed in a loaf, as they seem to bake a crust around themselves.

The fact that there is a supporting website and spare parts is very comforting after the vacuum of support for our old Breadman Pro when it failed. I'd rather pay more and get longer life and support, as well as better bread. I don't think that the Zojirushi has produced a loaf one could call 'below average.' I am not sure why the people who couldn't get it to work had problems, but a little fine tuning can make a difference, e.g., I use a tiny fraction less yeast than the recipe for a better loaf.

In summary, an excellent piece of equipment that is a fixture in our kitchen. It works well and without drama. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for here: a quality product which does what it's supposed to.
on April 7, 2010
After two carpal tunnel surgeries the pain in my hands won't allow me to knead the dough. So, I bought a machine to do it for me. I really like this bread maker. I have used both prepackaged mixes and recipes from "Bread Winners" by Mel London 1979. All have come out well. The smell and taste of freshly baked bread can not be equaled by store bought.
on January 22, 2011
I bought the Zojirushi BB-CEC20 to replace a single blade Zoji bread machine I've had for at least a decade and which still works but the non-stick coating is no longer effective preventing easy release of the loaf from the pan. Instead of investing in a new pan and blade for an old machine I opted to buy the BB-CEC20 which has been reviewed extensively so I'll stick to what I like and don't like. I have no comments about other functions such as cake, jam or meat loaf courses or modes because my only interest is bread.

LIKE: large loaf, whole wheat course, opening lid doesn't cause machine to stop operation(nor did it in the one it replaces), standard loaf shape, excellent manual with good recipes, programmable, timer allows delay in starting cycle, preheat can be disabled, non-stick pan and blades, brief power interruptions don't interfere with operation, can mix dough for baking in conventional oven. DON'T LIKE: it's hard to see the loaf without raising the lid(no interior light), cleaning around the blade drive shafts is still a pain, limitations on programming, holes made by blades(just have to accept that bread baked in a bread machine will have bottom holes).

Since purchasing the machine I have made at least seven loaves of bread without a failure despite creating my own recipes. I have used only whole grain flour. I started with the manual's 100% whole wheat loaf using active dry yeast(3h 45 min whole wheat course) for my first loaf and was delighted with the result. Since then I have experimented with combinations of whole wheat flour and oat flour without a failure. Yesterday I was out of oat flour and used whole wheat flour and cornmeal which produced another tasty loaf. I have added vital wheat gluten in the recommended amount for 100% whole grain wheat and oat or cornmeal loaves. A loaf with 100% whole grain spelt flour and no vital wheat gluten was another success. Some who are wheat intolerant might be able to enjoy spelt bread. The spelt bread was good but spelt flour is very expensive. Since I am not wheat intolerant and the spelt flavor isn't any better than whole wheat, I won't be making any more very expensive spelt bread.

I love making bread and the Zoji turns out an excellent loaf. My only regret is having to wait until a loaf is eaten before making another!! Otherwise I would make a lot more loaves.
on April 4, 2011
I posted pictures, see it yourself. Everything is working perfect, but cooking is horrible. I ordered another unit to see if it's going to cooke more even. If no, I'll say sorry to my cuisinart 100 and returt both Zo.

Updating 04/05/2011
I'm adding 1 more star for second unit. Second one baked the same crust on medium setting, as the first baked on dark crust setting. Returning first machine.

I made plum jam, it came out really good, but I set the jam program twice (3LB plums).

I'll keep experimenting for the next 30 days to see if the second unit is a keeper.

Updating 4/19

Love it. I made 100 proc whole wheat, sweet breads, italian bread, jam, dough. It's working the way I expected it to work. I make 2-5 breads a week for my family and friends. 5 stars.

Updating 5/4

Second unit never let me down. All breads came out perfect. I bake lot's of sourdough and it bakes much better then my Cuisinart machine. I use both machines at the same time and Zo bread always fluffier and more prettier. Tonight I'm starting my grand baking for the weekend. I need to bring enough bread for 18 people and 3 days stay in vacation house !
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2010
This is the best bread machine I've ever owned. The loaves come out lighter and fluffier than the ones I've made in other machines. In addition, this machine is super quiet. My last machine was as loud as a washing machine with an unbalanced load! With this machine, I've actually had to look in the window to see that it is kneading the bread...it is that quiet.

I highly recommend it.
on August 2, 2010
I had been shopping for a bread machine for quite some time and after much research decided on the Zojirushi. It makes a normal looking loaf and one that can easily fit in the toaster, The recipe book was great and even has a recipe for meatloaf that you can make in the machine, No more messy hands from mixing meatloaf. I opted for the stainless stel since it was on sale for less than the price of the white one. Thanks Amazon.
on October 25, 2010
First, read and follow the directions. Anyone reading a bad review of this product should question whether the reviewer read the manual and followed all directions on the use of the machine. Then, whether he/she properly measured all ingredients and put them in the exact order shown in the recipe.

Not getting high and mighty on you -- 'cause I didn't fully read the directions and made 2 mistakes. 1) Make a depression in the dry ingredients and pour the yeast into the hole. 2) Only put in the amount of add-ins specified in the recipe.

For my first loaf, I added a bunch of raisins and pecans when the machine beeped to indicate it was time to do this. I didn't measure them. I woke up to a hard, lop-sided loaf. Operator error! I admit it. :-)

I'm one of those "a pinch here, a pinch there" cooks who likes to wing it and experiment. But for now, I follow the directions EXACTLY. And, the loaf comes out the way it's supposed to. What's worth the money on this machine is the loaf pan shape and 2 paddles that make a normal shaped loaf that's easy to slice.

Another lesson: Make sure the paddles are pushed down completely (they should click into position). I neglected to do this on one paddle and it didn't mix the ingredients prior to the rise cycle. Rather than log into Amazon and post a scathing review of the product, I recognized that it was, again, operator error. Mixed it by hand in the pan then took the dough out and finished it by hand (ultimately baked in the oven not the bread maker).

Finally, be sure to grasp the pan and tilt it toward you before pulling it up. The directions tell you to do this, but I didn't fully read them before trying to pull the pan straight up.

A great bread maker, totally worth the extra dough. :-) (I can hear y'all moaning at that pun...)
on August 14, 2010
I have used bread machines since they were first introduced and make 2-3 loaves a week. My first machine cost close to $600 and was made by Hitachi. This Zo is a workhorse and handles all dough including 100% whole wheat with ease. My last 2 machines were Panasonic SD-YD250's and in my opinion that is the only competition other than the other Zo models. I love the yeast dispenser the Panasonic had and miss it but the shape of the loaf in the Zo is usable while the Panasonic is a bit more challenging since the slices are so large.

In short you do get what you pay for in bread machines and this one is very heavy duty will last for many many years. BUY IT!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations