on December 19, 2011
Verified Purchase
I own this particular model along with a couple CD-LCC models and other boilers. Hand down, Zojirushi is the best for having large amount of hot water ready at home or small coffee shops.

Please note that CV-DYC40 was mainly designed for holding water at 208F and 195F. The unit is designed to be plugged in 24/7 and refilled as needed. Note that a whole gallon of water is contained in an extremely well insulated container while the boiler heats to 212F every single time one adds water! It takes about 2hrs for the insulated units to cool to 175F, which is painfully slow. If you insist on holding water at 175F, I suggest getting a non-insulated CD-LCC model. A workaround for CV-DYC40 is to boil about 2/3 of the water and top off with cold water.

The battery function is very nice as you can take the boiler anywhere in the house, coffee shop, outdoors for parties, catering etc. If you own a small coffee shop and are looking for a boiler/kettle for americanos and hot chocolate consider that this boiler is very slow (30-40min to boil a 4 liters) and you may end up using this boiler as more of a 'fancy' carafe, still using a regular kettle to boil water.

Lastly, for those of you who are tea aficionados, part of the tea flavor comes from oxidation. As the water sits in the boiler at, say, 195F or 208F oxygen and other gases escape which may lead to some teas tasting slightly different. But, hey! If you can't tell a difference then who cares?
on February 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
My only complaint is: It is only stainless steel for the outside look, not for the container that actually holds the water. As a result, the water dispensed from it always tasted/smelled a little weird, not like from a real stainless steel kettle.
on February 7, 2013
Afraid one day I'd forget a pot on the stove, I spent a month researching electric water boilers. I've used electric kettles in the past and I love their fast operation: Push a button and come back later for a kettle of boiling water.

Features I initially wanted:
1. Boils water.

Throwing my hands up in indecisive frustration, I ordered the Aroma AWK-115S Electric Kettle. On the second day, it failed to shut-off, happily boiling away an entire 1.5 L of water and burning my house down if I hadn't intervened. The metal housing had no insulation, so I'd have had to re-heat it frequently. Additionally, it had a low capacity and required manually heating it several minutes before I wanted the water (I calculated that 2 minutes each morning and night waiting around for water to boil is over 24 hrs per year!)

Features I eventually wanted:
1. Boils water.
2. No reported errors with automatic shut-off.
3. Made somewhere other than China.
4. Doesn't rust/corrode.
5. Well insulated.
6. Portable.
7. At least 3L capacity.
8. Always hot.
9. Stainless steel exterior to match my other appliances.
10. Metal or glass interior.

Then I discovered the Zojirushi DYC-40 VE.

It checks off 8.5 of my 10 requirements in various amounts. Where it isn't a home-run:

There is a 1-2 second delay before getting relatively slow-running water. *Every* time you dispense water, you have to push an "UNLOCK" button before holding down the "DISPENSE" button! Every time. You get to push 2 buttons sequentially! Seriously? I scoured the manual and there is no way to disable this child safety feature. It's an absolutely terrible user experience considering the water already comes out at a very slow rate and requires *holding down* the "DISPENSE" button! How would you even cause an accident considering you have to hold the button down anyway? Bad design.

The interior is coated with a thin layer of polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) to prevent corrosion. According to studies, this non-stick coating begins to emit toxic, carcinogenic gasses when heated over 400 degrees. Since water boils at 212 degrees, you'd assume we would be safe. But what if the heating element heats the walls above 400 degrees in order to boil the water? I tested this with an infrared thermometer and determined that the non-stick coating is roughly the same temperature as the water because the heating element is located separately, below the insulated water reservoir!

The "stainless steel" exterior is really just a plastic veneer with a stainless steel appearance. Mine even had a deep scratch on it when it arrived.

Porting the pot around wirelessly requires 2 AA batteries. For some reason, my high-quality rechargeable Eneloop batteries fully charged are not recognized as having any charge.

Finally, it really does keep water hot all day long at a reasonable cost (~$70/year -- the unit paying for itself in about 5 years when compared with an uninsulated kettle): only 19 watts (the box says 17 watts, but my house is unheated so this is fairly accurate). Unfortunately, this is at 195 degrees, which is too cool for some of my uses. You may keep water on-demand at 205 degrees, but even the vacuum insulation is insufficient to keep that electricity usage below 39 watts.

Overall, this is a modern convenience, and I'm really happy to have it in my kitchen. It ultimately saves me about 90% of the time I spent heating (and re-heating) water with a stove or typical electric kettle (a net return of about 22 hours per year)!

So maybe in a couple years, I'll break even with the time I spent researching electric kettles.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have owned several different electric kettles, but this one is by far the best. The Zojirushi is easy to use and set up. The timer is the best feature of all, I set the timer in the evening and the water is at the perfect temperature when I wake in the morning. The whole family uses it, for tea, hot cocoa, coffee (french press), instant oatmeal, roman noodles and more! This is the best purchase I have made in a long time, and the Zojirushi is worth every cent.
on March 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
All in all, this electric pot is wonderful. Heats as stated in the manual (about 35 minutes for entire pot). Easy to use (plug and go). Keeps the water hot for a long time and the digital readout lets you know the current temp of the water.

Couple of drawbacks that maybe they'll fix in the next model: 1) Runs on 2 "AA" batteries for dispensing when not plugged in. Batteries only last about 7 hours. 2) When the batteries run out, you can't just replace the batteries and continue using the pot. It doesn't recognize the new batteries. For the new batteries to be recognized, you must plug the unit back into a wall outlet. That really defeats the purpose of going outlet free.

Seems a bit expensive for the 2 problems noted but otherwise I'm almost universally happy with all Zojirushi products I've ever purchased.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
Having a Zojirushi rice cooker, it is a trusted brand in my house. I am a frequent flyer and two problems arise from weekly flights: a weaker immune system and jet lag. Proper hydration reduces jet lag and any device that easily increases my water intake keeps me healthier.

I have a large collection of tea of coffee apparati. For tea, I enjoy the instant satisfaction of filling up a cup with more hot water, and have always relied on electric kettles. The Zojirushi has a very large reservoir, definitely enough to fill my 12-cup Bodum Assam teapot twice full for a tea party... No pun intended.

The stovetop method is what I've used the past few days. 7min and boiling water, viola! This method produces water too hot for coffee, and scalding hot for green tea. No control!

Previously, I used 2 Pino digital electric kettles ($70/ea) and found them to have much more flexibility for teas and coffee. They were far better at maintaining temperature to 2-3F, and had a smaller reservoir of 50oz. I found myself refilling the kettle on occasion, perhaps 2-4x daily during the winter months. Major issue is that I used them so much they ended up burning out after 1yr or so of use.

As previously mentioned, the Zojirushi has a massive reservoir. It is great for all sorts of kitchen uses and dare I say household uses. The toilet clogged and we used boiling water and soap to fix it. I'm told it would work well for gelatins, hot breakfast cereals and instant noodles, as well as hearing baby bottles.

For teas, I find the Zojirushi to lack the sensitivity I'm used to from a digital kettle. Rare teas are to be steeped as low as 160F and that's harder to hit that target for me now. I find myself mixing hot water with cold tap water to get exactly where I need to be.

For coffee, 203F is a good target to hit. This water boiler runs hot and the timer works well for waking up to hot water.

Overall, I like the larger reservoir but have sacrificed the control that my Pino kettle had. Hopefully this will at least last longer. It is very easy to make crappy green tea if your temperatures are too hot, less so for black teas.

This model in particular requires batteries. You can make your device portable. To be honest, you can do this with a Zojirushi thermos and save a few $$. The stupid thing is that the batteries literally allow you only to dispense water without being plugged in. For $30, this feature doesn't seem worth it, considering the boiler is insulated. I thought I'd use this for reheating on batteries but that isn't the case.

More updates after sustained usage to come...
on September 26, 2010
Verified Purchase
I've been doing research on good water boiler/warmer product. I began to look into Zojirushi products, because it's a brand I trust. This product seemed to have the extra portability that tilted my decision despite having only one product review. The product was much taller than I expected, but aside from that, I am very pleased with my purchase. It is made is Japan, rare to find in the U.S. these days, and the extra portability via battery-powered warmer function makes it very convenient as well as energy efficient. Boils fast and very easy to clean. I absolutely recommend it for big families or tea drinkers.
on February 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this for our office, to be used during a staff meeting in the Board Room. We already have a coffee machine that people can make their own coffee as needed, but we didn't have any hot water dispenser for the tea-drinkers. This pot is GREAT that it can be cordless - so I can refill/reboil in the kitchen and THEN bring it in the board room without the cord. This is a feature that not all models offer and you will like this.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2011
Verified Purchase
This my 3rd (over 20 years) pot from Zorijushi and I continue to be impressed by the level of quality and attention to detail they have. I can't speak highly enough of it. We love it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
Please be aware that if you live at a high altitude, this product may not work as expected. That is what I was told when I contacted the company due to repeated overheating/automatic shutoff when I attempted to use it. I had extremely high expectations for this product and read the manual and followed all directions. It seemed like such a great thing--the 10 hour timer was a plus for me and I really wanted to be able to use it. I live at approximately 7000 feet and thought that it might be due to the altitude and that is why I contacted the company. To test it, I brought the machine with me to my daughter's house, she lives at 1000 feet and tested the device there. I started the machine on the counter but pulled away from the cupboards so that the steam vent would not be blocked. That is how I used it at home. It overheated and automatically shut-off. I was very disappointed. So I thought about it a bit and tried again with the machine on the breakfast bar, no cupboards or cabinets in sight. I watched it very carefully. I noticed that as it boiled, a plume of steam at least 3 feet high was created. The plume was also very direct; it went straight into the air and was quite strong. I thought that it was possible that even though the machine was placed free of the cupboards, the steam may have been able to collect around the machine causing it to overheat and turn off. The machine worked as it should have that time. Over the course of the weekend, I tested it several times. It only overheated once. I brought the machine home and used it again in a place that was completely free of any potential obstruction. For a week, it has only overheated twice, and that is at 7000 feet. I am hoping that it will continue to work properly without overheating because it is a truly great machine. I love waking up and having my hot water all ready for my tea. I also enjoy coming home and having my hot water ready and waiting. It is so nice to have the constant supply of perfectly heated water for tea, cocoa, coffee, oatmeal and etc.. I think that making sure there is no obstruction or place for steam to collect is very important for this to work properly.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations