5.0 out of 5 stars fine product but small, not for a large family
I've had this product for a couple of weeks and have used it with several different types of rice. All came out perfectly in the sticky style. The liquid volume of the bowl is about 1,200 ML. The 3 cups description are the smaller in size Japanese cups. If you eat more rice at one meal, have a large family, this is not the product for you.

There are several...
Published on April 25, 2007 by Ellen

3.0 out of 5 stars cute little rice cooker
Published on September 18, 2011 by Sharon W. Binette

5.0 out of 5 stars fine product but small, not for a large family, April 25, 2007
Ellen (North Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zojirushi NS-XBC05YR Rizo Micom 3-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer, Yellow (Kitchen)

There are several things that you can't cook in this appliance including soups, sauces and a full 3 cup quantity of rice (it will boil over and make a terrible mess).

You can use it to steam foods with a very good result on vegetables.

The instruction book is confusing and took some figuring out.

This machine is extremely well insulated and does not heat up my kitchen as my very old rice cooker does. Also it doesn't put gobs of steam into the air.

I look forward to seeing reviews from folks who are more technical than I am, but I am pleased with this machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars So cute!, January 9, 2008
Seriously, this is the cutest rice cooker that I have ever seen.

Having HAD to have this I am glad that I begged for it for Christmas.
It makes very good rice - although in portions suitable for a single person, or for a couple, for one or two meals.

1. Very little steam escapes as the rice is cooking and it does not heat up the kitchen like other rice cookers

2. VERY cute, small - does not take up a lot of room on the counter.

3. Rice warmer keeps rice moist with a just made taste. I like to pour a cup of rice in (skip the rinsing) and add the water to the line and set it to cook so that I have hot rice in the morning.

4. Button release on top of lid is nice as you don't have to manually lift it up.

5. Did I say this was cute? All components are very well designed and look very stylish. This isn't your ordinary clunky rice cooker.

6. It would be nice if there was an integrated timer - though it is not needed as it takes about an hour.

7. Although it says that it can make risottos, keep in mind that what it means is that you prep your rice and ingredients first in a frying pan and then add it to the rice cooker... It doesn't do it all!

Overall, very nice rice cooker and steamer... But don't expect too much more out of it, after all it is a rice cooker!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's worth it...at the bargain price*., August 11, 2007
I'm very happy with this appliance. My kitchen and living room are essentially one, and all my kitchen stuff is on some black Metro shelving. Appearance really matters to me and this thing looks great. I cook for one 95% of the time and this makes a wonderful little two-pot** meal. I've been using it with THE ULTIMATE RICE COOKER COOKBOOK and haven't had a failure yet. I cut the recipes in half if it's written for a 6-cup machine and in quarters if it's written for a 10-cup machine. The recipes all use wonderful fresh, and sometimes exotic, ingrediants.
The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook : 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker

* The price was too much for me, but I bought it from the Amazon Warehouse_Deals for $108. Look for them in the refurbished tab. There was nothing wrong with the item. It didn't even look like a return. The box was scuffed up a bit, but no worse that something off the shelf at Target.

** I find the bowl too small for sauteing veggies and chicken at the start, so I use a pan on the stove for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful gadget for one person meals, November 1, 2010
This is worth the money because it's reliable, versatile, and perfect for a one or two person meal, unlike most rice cookers. Plus it's just so cute! Makes great risotto and hot cereal too. Use the risotto setting for the best oatmeal (buy bulk organic oats or other whole grains, cooks fast and keeps warm). My favorite kitchen gadget by far, I use it every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it !!, January 2, 2011
I have had this rice cooker for two years and it is the best rice cooker I have had. I use the cooker for both white and brown rice and it turns out wonderful every time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for brown rice, but most everything else is perfect, November 13, 2011
Movie Maker "Rik" (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have one for myself (single) and another for senior parents- perfect size for a one or two person home. As you would expect, the results are close to perfect, as they should be at this price point. Super simple to use- great for college students up to seniors- it DOES produce amazing results.

While it is NOT a multi cooker, you CAN add things to the rice - I like to add sausage, peppers, and onions for example. The design of the unit is charming, and award-winning. "Fuzzy Logic" assures close to perfect results, each time you use it.

I am guessing that Zojirushi has discontinued this model, as it can be hard to find., at a variety of prices. The design reminds me of late 50's and 60's "Googie" space-age look. Of course, that is cosmetic- but still is Jetsons style fun.

If you have a big famly, or lots of friends and entertain a lot, this will not be ideal. But, for one or two? Just perfect!

3.0 out of 5 stars cute little rice cooker, September 18, 2011
I purchased this rice cooker to replace a less expensive one that I had owned for years. This rice cooker has style, and cooks rice perfect. It does take a good 40 minutes to cook rice. I like to cook oatmeal in the morning, but this is not ideal for cooking oatmeal. It does the job, but if you add to much liquid it really makes a mess. This rice cooker is not easy to clean either. It's cute and doesn't take up a lot of space, but I would not recommend it for oatmeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Product, June 26, 2010
This high-end Japanese rice maker not only has great style and design, but it makes the best rice and absolute perfect risotto with ease. Once you use it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Cooks great quinoa!, February 14, 2011
This little rice maker is our favorite new appliance. Bought on ebay for a bargain price, which perhaps is the only way I could justify the cost. In a two person, two dog household, the three cup size is perfect. Three cups makes plenty of rice for us. :) I usually make 2 to 2 1/2 cups. This rice maker also makes wonderful mixed rices, such as Lundberg's wild rice blend or boxed pilaf mixes.

Update April 2014

Well, officially, me and the rice maker have been feeding my little family for three years and it is going strong! I love it. Lately, I have been making quinoa in it too. Whether I make it plain with water, or in a broth, it comes out light and fluffy and I never have to worry about it burning on the stove.

Perfect way to get dinner started while napping! :D

Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cord problems, June 8, 2012
I was excited about this rice cooker--it is the right size for our small household, very cute and bright, and has received good reviews. When I received my cooker I inserted the plug into the receptacle in the cooker and saw that it was very loose. I tried several times, and it did eventually plug in, but if I moved the cooker at all on the counter, the cord easily fell out of the receptacle.

I emailed the company about this and they suggested that I try to push the cord in harder. After several more attempts, it still was loose, so I emailed them again. They suggested I have a "gentleman" help me. In fact, before their suggestion, I had asked my husband to try and he had the same result, so "manpower" is not the issue here.

I really did want to keep this cooker for the reasons listed above, so when I sent it back I asked that the company compare the fit of the plug to a newly opened cooker, and if the new cooker was a better fit, then I would like an exchange. If the fit was the same, I wanted a return. Apparently, the fit was the same, so I asked for a refund.

I am puzzled because I haven't read about this issue in any other reviews. Did I just get a lemon, and the company happened to compare it to another lemon?