4.0 out of 5 stars Which is better? Zojirushi SM-JA36BA vs. SM-KHE36AG
Published 11 months ago by Tennismama

3.0 out of 5 stars It's "OK"
So I bought this because I got tired of leaving my desk for 5 minutes & coming back to a tepid cup of coffee. And I must say that this thing is VERY WELL insulated. I can put hot coffee in it, put on the lid and it will still be piping hot an hour+ later.

Published 20 months ago by Jeffbx

4.0 out of 5 stars Which is better? Zojirushi SM-JA36BA vs. SM-KHE36AG, December 30, 2013
Tennismama (Westchester, NY) - See all my reviews
I first purchased the SM-JA36BA because it was cheaper. My husband purchased the SM-KHE48AG. We've now had them for over 2 months and he and I agree, that the SM-KHE model is much better. But you decide for yourself which one works for you. Just to be clear, there is no difference in terms of the technology. They both retain heat and keeps the drink hot for hours.

<SM-JA36(48)BVA>
[PROS] - price; it's cheaper than the SM-KHE model.
- top cap comes apart in pieces so I can clean every little grooves and ridges with a toothbrush for a thorough cleaning
- size; small and light

[CONS] - Top cap is screw top, so you have to have 2 hands.
- you have to make sure that you screw it back on tight, or the drink will drip out
- drips of your content will remain on the top so when you open it to drink, you have to be careful not to let it drip on you. (see my uploaded image)
- also, when you put the top back on, the same drips on the top sometimes seeps out as you screw back on the top.
- wide mouth is good, when you want to put in ice cubes or a wedge of lemon, but you have to drink it slowly or else you will have a gush of drink all over your face.
- for this reason, I don't recommend drinking out of this mug in a moving vehicle.

Bottom line - the only thing that got going for the SM-JA model is the price. At about $20, this is by FAR the better thermos mug you can buy.

<SM-KHE36(48)AG>
[PROS] You can open and close with a touch of a button.
- top cap stays open so you don't get hit by the top when you drink.
- Parts of the top comes apart for thorough cleaning
- with a one-touch lock button, you can be assured that the top stays closed and the content doesn't seep out.
- wide mouth, but controlled, small opening so you don't spill on you even in a moving vehicle **Though the label clearly warns you NOT to use it in a car**
[CONS] depending on the seller, it is usually about $5-$10 more expensive than the SM-JA model

Bottom line, SM-KHE model is worth extra $5-$10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps stuff very hot, compact size, February 1, 2012
This little container does what it claims -- keeps stuff hot in a convenient size! The price was a bit high, but it seems to be good quality which will last a long time.
When closed completely it does not leak at all, even when I shake it.

My only problem, if you could call it that, is that it keeps things TOO hot. Sometimes I have to let it breathe a bit so that I can actually drink the contents. I love it, it even fits most of the way in the pocket of my winter coat so I don't even have to put it in my bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars this product is high quality!, March 10, 2012
I love this mug! It doesn't spill and the fluid stays warm a long time! I find that the small 0.36L is perfect for me. It sounds/looks small but actually holds about 12oz which is a good size for warm drinks. It's a little tricky to wash all the parts but I find that they don't get smelly if I forget and are easy to clean. I usually soak them with a little soap and water and then rinse.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love you zojirushi, January 9, 2013
You make a great rice maker and, apparently, an impeccable thermos. This has really helped to slow my coffee drinking as even left open the coffee stays steamy hot and it fits just perfectly with my Keurig. It's also great for making mochas as once you close the lid you can shake it upside down and nothing leaks out and I feel safe throwing it in my bag with my MacBook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect thermo/tumbler to carry around!, February 19, 2012
I purchased 3 of these (rose, black, and silver) from Amazon and it's my best purchase this winter. I drink lots of tea during winter months and this makes it easy to carry around pre-steeped tea with me everywhere. It keeps drinks hot enough to last more than half a day and by disassembling the parts I can wash them cleanly and easily. It's perfect portion for 1.5 to 2 cups plus fits right into my purse/handbag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, December 18, 2011
T. Baker (Chula Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Extremely well made, keeps cold fluids cold most of a full day, and looks great. Easy to disassemble for cleaning. The capacity isn't huge, but this should be a non-issue if you're aware of it up front. My only criticism is that the frosted surface finish is somewhat fragile, and can get scratched if you aren't careful of what it rubs against.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 3, 2012
I lived and worked in Japan for a number of years and I wanted something to bring into my office everyday. I bought this at a store nearby my apartment (in silver) and mainly used it for tea, coffee and water. I was really impressed! Not only did it keep liquids hot, but in the summer, before taking the train home from work, I would fill it up with cold water from the office and it stayed chilled for 4-5 hours as well. Right before I left Japan, they came out with a size even smaller than this which may or may not also be sold on Amazon, allowing you to choose from 4 colors and 3 sizes!

I highly recommend this-just remember that the mug always and should be in an upright position, even if it is a screw top cap. The outside metallic/matte coating also does seem to get scratched easily, and I found this out the hard way. All I did was put a small spiral notebook in my bag together with the mug and it happened to scratch off the coating. Since then, I've been careful with it and it's been okay.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's "OK", March 22, 2013

However, the lid is where it loses points. I was hoping for more of a mug than a thermos experience with this, but you actually have to unscrew and remove the entire lid to drink from it. Then if you forget to put it back on, it of course loses heat quickly.

So great concept, and probably perfect if you have a need to transport a small cup of coffee, but I wouldn't recommend it as a desk mug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice!, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Zojirushi SM-JA36RA 0.36-Liter Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug, Red (Kitchen)
I use this thermos for my morning coffee. It has a cover that is leak proof and very tight. After my coffee is brewed and I have put my sugar substitute and cream in the coffee I put the top and shake the bottle. This is more effective that using a spoon. The coffee tastes better that way. It keeps the coffee hot along time. It has a 14 ounce capacity and it looks great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality..., March 19, 2013
This thermos was my companion for a long time, while my son was on formula! I had hot water everywhere I went and it was cute and just the right size. I still have it and use it whenever I need to keep something hot or cold!