Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon October 31, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Don Roff and Chris Lane have given all us zombiephiles a beautifully illustrated and chilling account of the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Dr. Richard Twombly, a hematology-oncology specialist at a Seattle blood treatment facility, uses his birding journal to write down his daily observations of a mysterious virus that at first seems to only make people violently ill. When humans begin to viciously attack and eat each other, Dr. Twombly and the few other survivors try to barricade themselves from the attackers until Twombly finds himself alone and running out of food. Luckily for us, the good doc has his ink with him, and he's able to include detailed illustrations of the decay process, methods of killing the hungry undead, other survivors, etc. He also leaves little clues about what might have caused the virus (surprise, surprise...we do it to ourselves), as well as the frightening possibility of evolution of the undead.

Given the subject matter, it might sound odd to say this is a beautiful book, but it truly is. The illustrations are so detailed, and a lot of the pages look like pieces of art. I know some have complained that there is "nothing new" here, but there actually are some unique bits added to the zombie genre. This is a good, solid story with amazing illustrations, and it's a fun read to find out what happens to dear Dr. Twombly. My only complaint is that this is an oversized paperback. If this were hardcover, it would make the perfect gift/coffee table book for a diehard zombie fanatic. I'm glad I took a chance on this one, and if Roff and Lane want to continue the saga of this apocalypse, I'll gladly line up to read it!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is another twist in the zombie genre. Unlike the survivor's journal Day by Day Armageddon, this is more like a research journal complete with statistical research, illustrations, and personal experiences. In this documentated book, the survival information is more sporadic than The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead.

People fell ill, died, and reanimated. No scientific explanation. In some cases, infection spread without bites or any other obvious contact. Mobility/strength depends on the original physical fitness of the person and bodily damage, but variables like rigor mortis are unknown. While some of the personal accounts may remind you of other zombie-apocalypse stories (ex: pharmecutical company may have had a hand in it), there are a few sick surprises that I haven't come across in my zombie obsession.

i totally loved that it takes place in the year 2012. I really felt like I was reading someone's notebook with drawings, rather than a graphic novel. There is no lack of gore, for those of you who prefer the gut-ripping undead. Even though the book is written from the doctor's point-of-view, the other characters were believable, as far as their decisions, reactions, and so forth.

If you truly believe yourself to be a zombie fanatic (or your friends tell you to "shut up about zombies, already"), you definitely need to add this to your collection.

Other unusual zombie-literature include Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry For Your...Brains,Z.E.O.: How to Get A(Head) in Business, and Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead.
on May 10, 2016
It read like a "The Walking Dead" episode. Not only that for the price I expected more. Better character development, and lengthier. Some pages just had a picture with a caption. The story was not badly written it just lacked that "wow" factor. The sketches were quite good which is why I gave the book three stars instead of two.
on January 26, 2013
Think of this book as a personal journal of a person living through a zombie plague that has spread through the world and decides to document everything that this person encounters. Great use of imagination and descriptive narration will awesome drawings throughout the book. Two thumbs up!!!
on January 9, 2015
Awesome artwork accompanies this journal type book. It is a good take on a zombie book as it really does feel as if you are flipping through someone's journal. The only reason I took away a star is because I think this book would be amazing if reprinted on distressed paper and had a weathered journal cover.
on August 23, 2011
Its is an oversize book, which makes the drawing all the more better. It is a journal type book, which is an interesting way of looking at the invasion, and the drawings are pretty good. I'm glad I got it!!
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We seem to be obsessed with the undead these days. That being said, the same stories seem to be told over and over again. Watch ten Zombie movies and you'll be able to pick out similar themes and characters in all of them. Someone in the group of survivors under scrutiny is always hiding an infected bite. Characters are going to be killed just when you started to like them. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong. I could go on, but you get the point. ZOMBIES doesn't do a whole lot to deviate from the formula, but it excels at changing how the formula is presented.

ZOMBIES isn't your typical novel offering a narrative concerning a group of survivors and their misadventures after the Zombie apocalypse. ZOMBIES is presented as an illustrated journal (kept by a doctor) that was found in an abandoned cabin in Canada. It is not known what happened to the author and it is reproduced, unedited, just as it was found. Think of it as a relic from an alternate reality.

It is printed like handwriting complete with words scratched out. Most entries are accompanied by fantastic illustrations of things that the author has seen. The illustrations are very creepy, very well done and varied in style and color pallette. This book does an amazing job of drawing you in to every nail biting encounter and each glimmer of hope felt by the author. I honestly don't think I've been as engrossed in a Zombie book before. This book is brilliantly put together and wonderfully paced. If you're a fan of Zombies or just of the macabre in general, this is a MUST read.
on December 28, 2013
I saw this book inside a store and it look interesting and it had great art. My mistake was that I forgot the title and when I came back to buy the book I had a really hard time finding it. To my surprise the book was always sold out. When I got my kindle I was able to buy it and when I did I couldn't out it down. From beginning to end the book kept you wanting to read because you didn't know what was going to happen next. The art kept your creative mind working and the tone of the book kept you wanting more. Great read... I wish there was more of this one.

Michael
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's not often that you come across a unique Zombie novel - the popularity of the subject has flooded the market with many zombie books that simply clone one another. 'Zombies: A Record Of The Year Of Infection' is a breath of fresh, fetid air on the theme. Written as a journal and beautifully illustrated by fantastic artist Chris Lane, 'Zombies' is a novel not to be missed by those who are fans of the genre. (while the book cover says "written by Dr. Robert Twombly - the recorder of the journal - the actual writing was done by Dan Roff)

Dr. Robert Twombly, age 32, a specialist in hemotology-oncology at Northwest Blood Treatment Center in Seattle, WA, is trapped in his lab when the dead begin to rise - and they're hungry. Robert occupies himself by doing pre and post mortem studies, as his associate Dr. Carla Wilkins and assistance Paul Jenkins succumb to the "disease". He manages to break free with two other live humans, Ryan Frances and Jeri. They make it to a boat and begin to head north. After Ryan and Jeri are gone, Dr. Twombly continues his journal, and his journey, until a chance encounter with a lone traveler tells him there are radio broadcasts coming from Canada near Saskatchewan.

'Zombies' is a short novel, and interesting enough to read in a single sitting. I don't want to give away too much in the review, but assure you it's a worthwhile purchase and encourage you to pick it up and enjoy it as much as I did. Almost every page is illustrated, making it a fast, fun read. The setting is in Seattle WA, traveling through Snohomish County and on up to Bellingham WA, all places I have lived, so I loved knowing the familiar surroundings of Twombly's journey. He continues to study the walking dead, making note of their habits, limitations, and advantages. An interesting note was of a fisherman zombie standing in the river and eating it's own tore off arm. There's lots of gory surprises like that, "food for thought" for the zombie genre lover like myself. I highly recommend this book for your zombie collection; it won't be complete without it. Enjoy!
on August 7, 2014
I enjoyed this. It was realistically what I think would happen if a zombie apocalypse did happen. I thought that the way the infection spread was original. You don't see a lot of zombie stories use that. Also, I know the ending made some people mad, but I thought it added something to the story. It was quite a twist.