Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 1, 2010
I love Zombie books, I've read probably 20 or so, so I was very excited to check this anthology out. The cover art is great, and I recognized several of the authors. I hate to sound negative and blast out such a bad review, but here's my gripes: first off, it is 236 pages, but the last 20 were author bios, then another several pages of ads for other books. The text is double spaced, large font, so a little dialogue fills up the pages fast. This sounds petty, but it just seems like a trick to make the $5 paper back seem like it might be worth $15. It wasn't.
The meat of the book: It appears several of these stories were online submissions, written by amateur writers. And that's cool, I want to encourage that sort of thing. However, several of the stories were very juvenile, predictable, and poorly written. It's not a good sign when I have a hard time finishing a 10 page story. Several (if not most) of these should not have made the cut. Maybe the editor had only a small pool of submissions to choose from?
What I did like: (1)"Stop Requested" by Rhiannon Frater. A simple, short, interesting angle, from the perspective of a seeing-eye dog. It was fun and immersive. (2)"Undead Overpass" by Gregory Michaels. A post-apocalyptic, alcoholic truck driver makes runs though a zombie infested world, reminiscent of Mad Max. Very cool. (3)"Same as You" by R. Thomas Riley. A starving family is holed up in an abandoned farmhouse. While returning from an unsuccessful food gathering run, the father has apparently attracted the attention of unknown assailants. This one ends with a very good twist. (4)"Children of Landford's Towers" by Brad Zipprich. With only 12 pages this story had the feel of an epic. Very well written, and I wanted more.
Bottom line: this book should have been 40 pages long. Hardly worth $15 in paperback. While reading it I kept wondering "Who the heck gave this book FIVE stars?" (which is why I chose it). When looking back on Amazon I noticed that most 5-star reviews from this book came from the authors, who admittedly did not review their own contribution, but I feel that that is a poor practice, and falsely padded the book's star rating.
I see they made a part 2 to this anthology, but I am very hesitant to give it a shot.
on April 15, 2009
Zombology is a great edition bringing together a wide range of variations on the zombie theme. Each of the 22 stories is distinctive and unique, exploring the different aspects of life in a world where the dead walk. We see a number of familiar themes through the post-zompocalypse lens: lost love; betrayal; revenge; helplessness; hopelessness; and, believe it or not, hope.

Fans of the genre will appreciate the many different takes on the zombie plague itself. Sometimes it's a viral outbreak, sometimes the cause is unknown. Some zombies shamble, others sprint. Some are monsters to be despised, others are tragic characters worthy of sympathy if not affection.

Even if you're not a particular fan of the zombie-themed horror, you'll appreciate the different styles and points of view. Each author has contributed a unique voice to the anthology, and each has broadened the genre in small but significant ways.

I look forward to subsequent volumes in this anthology series. If Zombology is any indication, the zompocalypse is a dark and colorful world, and we've only just scratched the surface.

You'd better get that scratch cleaned, by the way, before you develop any weird and overpowering cravings...
on April 10, 2009
This is an great collection of stories, loads of fun, and what can I say, full of zombies!

I wasn't sure of it at first, but what the heck. I figured why not give some new authors a chance. I have been reading the same kinds of stories by the same people, and I needed to read something different. It was a welcome change and, although I won't spoil the enjoyment of the stories for you, I will say that its worth the money.

I have to admit, I am a bit biased, since I really enjoy zombie stories anyway. But if you are in the mood for a bit of the "Z", you won't go wrong with this book.
on September 3, 2009
The great collection of works here is a fine kick off to the Zombology series. While all of the stories are of the highest order, a few of the stand outs for me were Undead overpass, Halloween treats, Zombie Germs and...well all of the rest.

This is a great read for any fan of zombie and/or horror fiction. I can't wait to read the second volume.
on June 1, 2009
Zombology is a must have for fans of the zombie genre. The stories look at zombies from new and different angles. Some really get the reader thinking, "What would I do if there was zombie apocalypse?".

Thank goodness for the short-story format, or else I never would have been able to put the book down. When I reached the end of the last story, I was actually kind of sad. Need more braaaiiins...Guess I'll have to wait for the next selection from Library of the Living Dead Press.
on April 10, 2009
A bizarre and eclectic mix of all things zombie, this collection boasts 22 tales of the living dead and cannabilism gone right. Enjoyable from beginning to end, these are some of the best independent authors.
on April 30, 2009
Within these pages lie a collection of some of the most interesting short zombie stories that will read. Each is different and each is highly connected with the genre. This book is pure enjoyment and well worth a read..or two..or three or..
on April 27, 2009
picked this up and enjoyed the diversity of the stories
very good and worth picking up
especially if you enjoy zombies
This was the first book I bought from The Library of the Living Dead imprint and it left me wanting more. It had a good mix of stories, some I liked more than others, and only one I really didn't care for at all. And for me to not care for one story in anthology is great. Usually I find myself unimpressed with many anthologies, often reprinting stories I've read before, but not this one. This was full of fresh names and fresh takes on my favorite monster: the zombie. Sure there were spelling errors, a staple of the small press, but big publishers are guilty of this too. It's a bit pricier than the average paperback, but again it's a small press so i feel fine forking over the extra dough. All in all this was a darn good read. I hear it goes well with Dark: A Horror Anthology, so someone once told me.
on February 16, 2010
No doubt I'll get flamed for this, but I was disappointed in the quality of these stories, and this book is going on the buy-back pile. They were uneven, and while some are worthwhile reading, overall this book wasn't worth the price. In my opinion a better choice is "The Living Dead," edited by John Adams.