Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zoo Med AquaSun Aquarium Controller Timer & Power Strip
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 20, 2011
The timer is your typical manual timer with pins that are up or down dependent on when you want the lights, feeders, etc. on. One side is timed, the other side is not, which means that you have four outlets for things that need to be turned off (lights) and four outlets for things that get left on (filter and air pump, e.g). There is a switch on the side that allows you to easily override the timer. My only complaint is that by orienting the outlets as they are, large plugs need to trimmed slightly to fit. Another 1/8" would have made a big difference, or if the outlets were rotated 90 degrees then the large plugs would not be an issue. I am very satisfied with it, and gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I feel that the product could have been better designed and tested before marketing it.
on April 7, 2016
I bought this product last May and absolutely LOVE it! <3 I now own two of these, one for my 36-gallon freshwater community tank and one for my 20-gallon long freshwater puffer fish tank. This is a great way to cheaply manage lights and bubblers. Light management is particularly important because erratic light cycles can stress your fish and cause them to develop disease and possibly even die. This controller can really help out with issues like that. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone setting up a new aquarium or looking to stabilize one they already have.
on August 24, 2012
I bought this power strip because of the timer feature. It is supposed to have four timed outlets and four outlets that remain on constantly. The constantly-powered outlets worked fine. Unfortunately, the timer seems to have a flaw in its design that pops up the on/off prongs as it turns.

When I first set up the timer, I was surprised that the items I had placed on the timer portion of the strip went on and off every few minutes. When I studied it further, I noticed that the timer dial was flipping its own switches as it turned. As it moved in real time, it was hitting the "on" tabs, which turned off the strip. Then it would cycle through on and off again every time the dial turned, which is bad for the fish and annoying for the people trying to watch them.
on April 1, 2015
Bought one from Petsmart, right out of the box it didn't work so I returned it and got a new one. The new one worked for about 3-4 months perfectly. Then just like another review had stated it got slower and slower then one night I noticed my chameleon cage was still on. I played it the settings, nothing worked, it stays on whether it's on it's day stage or night stage. Save yourself some money and buy a cheap timer from Walmart. That's what I bought for my Crocodile Skinks, it works better, it's cheaper, and have had no problems and I bought it around the same time as the Zoo Med one. Zoo Med disappoints me more often then not with their overly expensive products that aren't worth the money.
on March 5, 2014
This product works perfectly for I use it for; I have it set up so that I can automate and time my tank lights with my CO2 solenoid so that my CO2 isn't wasted. I have 2 of these and getting my third and I have never experienced having the pins reset by the rotating timer.

Another good thing about this timer is that you can create gaps of being on and off unlike some timers where there is only one setting for on and off. I have my timer set for: 5 hours on, 3 hours off, and then 5 hours on again to maximize the time I get to see my fish tank lit up in the morning and at night while not having my lights on so long that I accumulate algae.
on March 24, 2016
This was a good idea in theory, but I ran into 2 problems with this product.

1. Zoo Med should have known that aquarium equipment (especially lights) have those boxy plugs, so I could only use 2/4 outlets for my lights on the timed side. They should have maybe had the last outlet turned perpendicular to the others.
2. One of the outlets had some internal damage and I couldn't plug anything into it.

I decided to use a regular power strip with a dual outlet timer plugged into it to have my lighting timed.
on October 7, 2015
I use it to control my fan on my 30L nuvo fusion tank which likes to go to 80o if left unchecked. I set it so it runs for a couple of hours and then is off for a couple of hours. My fan is very loud so this helps and it keeps my tank at 77 plus degrees. It is easy to set. It has like a circle of gray pins that you push down or leave up in any combination.
on May 18, 2016
I have an aquarium addiction and this helps me out a lot. One side is timed and the other has regular outlets because.... how many lights can you have and more than likely youll need more things that need to stay on 24/7.
on April 7, 2015
Should have known better than to buy a used product, but i figgured they would at least check to be sure the timer worked on the strip being that is its main purpose. Day 1: CO2 should have been running since 4pm...i get home at 10pm and guess what, no co2 or uv sterilizer running. If i pull the timer tabs up and then push them back down it will switch on..but not much of a timer if i have to do it manually.
on April 12, 2016
I've never noticed the timer being off like some reviews said. I recently noticed that a button was accidentally pressed for half an hour at about 2 in the morning. Never noticed until I came home late one day. Poor fish were woken up every night for months... Anyway, just make sure you really check that all the tabs are in the right direction! I've had this for 2 years without an issue.