5.0 out of 5 stars Zoo Med Terrarium Hood vs Exo Terra Compact Fixture
I own both Terrarium Hoods, here are the differences between the Exo Terra Compact Incandescent Fixture for PT2605/PT2607 , Small and the Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch

1. Exo has only one switch to control both bulbs while the Zoo Med has two switches so you can control the bulbs independently.

2. Exo has a 40 watt maximum incandescent...
Published on July 10, 2011 by Jersey Chuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but one major design flaw
I just received this unit today and it does fit my Zoo Med terrarium nicely.

Published 21 months ago by Silly Fellow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoo Med Terrarium Hood vs Exo Terra Compact Fixture, July 10, 2011
Jersey Chuck (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)

2. Exo has a 40 watt maximum incandescent rating, the Zoo Med is rated for 60 watts (both can use 26 Watt compact fluorescents)

3. Exo has a wider light distribution, being 7.8" wide vs the Zoo Med width at 5"

4. Exo's power cord and switch are on the right side of the fixture, Zoo Med's (two switches) are on the back. Something to consider if you are using two lights "back to back" or if you want the cord hidden on the back side.

5. Exo has a Sliding rim to mount accessories such as the Exo Terra Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer, the Zoo Med has no mounts.
No big deal if you don't use the accessories.

6. Exo is a much nicer/cleaner looking fixture than the Zoo Med (personal opinion).

Bottom Line:

Like I stated I own both Terrarium Hoods and both are quality fixtures, I have both fixtures on top a Zoo Med Terrarium Naturalist 18L x 18W x 24H. The Zoo med on the back and the Exo Terra up front.

It's a personal preference thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars My turtle loves it!, February 11, 2011
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
I have a red eared slider and I bought this product because it has dual slots for two different bulbs. One slot has a Zoo Med ReptiSun® 5.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp in it and the other holds a Zoo Med Nightlight Red Reptile Bulb 60 Watts. The back of the hood has two switches so that each light bulb can be turned on and off individually. I'm very happy with my overall purchase, although I don't think as happy as my turtle is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Item!, February 21, 2011
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
We bought this hood fixture because we have a turtle hatchling, and we use
a UV reptile light and a heat light. Before the hood, these were mounted in dome fixtures attached to the side of the terrarium. The UV light extended out, and could harm the eyes of family members and the dogs that sleep near the terrarium. The bare light was also fading the nearby curtains. This hood solved those problems. It holds both bulbs and directs the UV light and the heat down into the terrarium. It has a switch for each light, and it fits across the Rubbermaid container we use for our turtle. Glad we found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars bunny 11/10/2010 Zoo Med Terrarium Hood 18", November 10, 2010
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
I first saw a video on line at the big apple pet supply store about this hood. I made my purchase after watching a demostration of the fixture. It's really neat because it has 2 outlets for heat and uva bulbs. I bought the combination uva/uvb bulb and the red heat bulb, it also has a reflector. I bought a screen top and placed the hood on top and it looks really cool. I like the fact that I can use two different bulbs in this fixture. I purchased this from amazon because it sold for a cheaper price. I would recommend this item.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but one major design flaw, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
I just received this unit today and it does fit my Zoo Med terrarium nicely.

One major design flaw (for me): there is only one power cord. Unlike the Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture (which has a power cord for each bulb), this unit has individual switches. The problem? If you want to hook this unit up to a timer and, say, have one bulb for the day and another for nighttime, it won't work. A timer can turn the entire until on/off, but not the individual bulbs. This is a major design flaw IMO. If you don't care about using the bulbs individually attached to a timer, it seems pretty good.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice but could be better, March 17, 2013
Enfields Mother (Sussex, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
this unit is nice. it has 2 switches: one we use a day heat bulb in to mimic daytime temperatures and one we use at night for visibility and low heat. This unit would be better if each switch had it own power cord so that we could set timers for both lights when we aren't here.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect..., December 23, 2011
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
i bought this as another set of lighting because my deep domes could not fit compact florescent bulbs and this fits any size and shape as long its a compact bulb of course. product quality looks good for the price and it is a zoo med product so what else can i say

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds a large CFL, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
This is a great terrarium hood with two switched sockets. The sockets are off-center giving you an option to put a large bulb on one side. This is very important because reptiles need a very bright light for vitamin D production. I wondered if the huge CFL I found (55w) would fit without having to chop up the fixture, and it did, just barely. Unfortunately you are limited in the other socket, and as another reviewer mentioned, one cord goes to both sockets so you can't control the lamps independently with timers. If you are electrically inclined it probably wouldn't be too difficult to hack such a feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I expected, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
You can have two different types of bulbs in it, so you can adjust how bright the cage is. Or you can have a night bulb and a day bulb. Or a bulb for light and another for heating. This was a great idea. I was actually expecting it to need long, 18-in lights (I didn't check beforehand), but this should be much less expensive.
I was also afraid that it would be big and bulky, but it isn't too big. It isn't small, but the roundness makes it seem less bulky. It is certainly more attractive than my old hood.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best out there, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood, 18-Inch (Misc.)
this light fixture is great because it holds multiple bulbs and you can leave one on and the other you can turn it off it has two switches and i love that and my Chameleon seems to love it as well great product and great price i looked everywhere and amazon has it the cheapest highly recommended to any reptile enthusiast

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›