5.0 out of 5 stars a book I never want to forget!
Published on November 28, 2005 by waldorf_curric

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for kids or adults or in between
Published on June 29, 2011 by mrag

5.0 out of 5 stars a book I never want to forget!, November 28, 2005
We check out many library books each week and I try to get onto Amazon and review them so that I have a record of my impressions of each. I want to make note of those I didn't like; and then there are some, like this stunning volume, I want to make sure I don't forget exist! I can see us checking this book out over and over as my child (now almost 4) gets older and continues with homeschooling. This is a wonderful book and if you are shopping for something that will encourage your child to enjoy the wonders of nature, a book to take along on family camping trips and nature walks; if you want to teach your child ancient stories of the skies, expose them to different cultures; or you are looking for literature which will inspire your storytelling and help you raise a creative imaginative child -- this is the book for you!! Buy it (and I will, too).

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, October 1, 2004
C.S. (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
I give this book 5 stars based on my son's enjoyment of it. I first saw this book at our Nature Center, and he so enjoyed it that I bought him a copy. I truly believed it would be too old for him (he's 3 1/2) but he adores it. I think because we go to the planetarium often he is able to really make the connections between what we see at the planetarium and in the book. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful and the information is very well presented. We also have 2 other of Ms. Mitton's books. While at first glance they may seem too advanced for the preschool crowd, I can testify that the preschoolers I know (my son and his classmates) really love these books and go back to them over and over. I highly recommend Ms. Mitton's books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for kids or adults or in between, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Zoo in the Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations (Paperback)
I bought this book and a Night Sky Star Wheel as a gift for my young grand children. I have been active with astronomy for well over 20 years. The book is terrible if in any way trying to relate an animal constellation to any actual constellation in the sky. That is by itself or even trying to use it with a star wheel. For example, the book has a creative drawing of The Great Bear and in part reads "Two bright stars across her back point straight across to Polaris, the North Star." Neither the 'two bright' stars nor Polaris are identifiable. There is no way to see or even imagine "the Big Dipper" within the pictured Great Bear or get any other celestial reference. To me, the whole purpose of the book. Zoo in the Sky, while relatively inexpensive, is of high quality materials printed in China. It is not even entertaining for under 12 and not nearly informative enough for over 13.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated. A great introduction to astronomy!, October 18, 1999
My son really enjoyed this book because he loves animals. It explains, in simple terms, the various constellations. The illustrations are beautifully done and very engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our constellations in the Sky, December 28, 2009
I looked over the book after I received it and was so satisfied that children of any age could learn so much about the star constellations. I gave the book as a gift to my five year old granddaughter who loves to look up into a dark night with me to view the stars and Jupiter too. It is complex enough for older children and as an adult, I learn from it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pictures, December 21, 2007
This book has nice pictures. Just minimal information though. I was hoping for more historical information on the story of the stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Intro to Stargazing, March 31, 2008
Review by Sherry North, Author, Because You Are My Baby

With captivating artwork and just the right amount of information, this book is a wonderful introduction to the constellations. I took my 3-year-old son to the science section of our local bookstore and let him pick out one book, and this is what he chose. He made a great choice, because he asks to see it again and again, and we both enjoy reading it. The star maps at the front and back are very helpful for finding the actual constellations in the night sky - transforming a reading activity into a real-world activity that captures the imagination of preschoolers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of Animal Comstellations, November 29, 2012
lmurnc "Lisa Foster" (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I got this book to help my grandchild learn about astronomy and how space is around us in the sky. This was given as a gift with his birthday and he received it with his first telescope. The best part of this book is a sky map of the constellations actually drawn out so he can look in the sky for them. I wrote a transcription to him, letting him know how his own father got one also abt his age and he can come to my place as we have almost clear skies every night. I will help him or his Dad can work with him as a family idea and show him the constellations. It is a great learning book for the kids and first- timers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool book, February 11, 2010
We borrowed thhis from the library and my daughter liked it so much, I later purchased it on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book on our universe!, February 15, 2013
This book is written with easy to understand stories about the stars and planets in our solar system. High interest for children and adults.

Zoo in the Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations
Zoo in the Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations by Jacqueline Mitton (Paperback - October 24, 2006)
$7.95