Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zoo Tycoon XBOX ONE
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Video Game|Change

on March 4, 2014
One of the few games available for the Xbox One at launch was Zoo Tycoon. I downloaded the demo and it sat on my console for more than a week before I decided to play it while I was home alone with my 2 and 3 olds to see if they would like it. They loved it from the moment I turned it on because of the great graphics and variety of animals and animal interaction.

This game on the Xbox One isn't like your typical 'sim' or 'tycoon' games, it isn't even really like the Zoo Tycoon for PC because you have the ability to walk around as if you were a person in the zoo. (You have the option by pressing Y to zoom up above the zoo so it is more like the typical Tycoon games if you want.) Most of the responsibilities in the game involve make sure the animals are happy, fed, and clean. Throughout the game you face challenges related to these as well as a few others.

When you first start the game, there are a number of tutorials which show you how to play the game and what your responsibilities are in the game. There are a lot of things I like about the game and some things I don't. Over all a great game for younger kids to watch you play since it is so interactive with some of the animals, not too hard to figure out for a little bit older children, and even some challenges to keep my wife playing and enjoying the game herself.

My kids loved being able to walk up to a giraffe or elephant and grab a piece or fruit and feed the animals from your ‘hand’. You can even play with the monkey’s and they copy what you do. You can use the Kinect here to use your face or hand and arms and the monkeys will copy your movements. You can name everything in the Zoo from each animal to the Zoo itself. It takes money, which the better you zoo the more you make, but you can adopt and sell animals at any point. We tried putting a lion in three giraffes but the game wouldn’t let us, too bad, wouldn’t have been cool to see what would happen, haha.

The Good:
Free roaming in the zoo’s
So many way to interact with many different animals
Character able to drive vehicle around zoo (which was kind of fun drifting around corners in themed golf carts)
Easy for children to figure the game play and goals out
Lots of different animals
Good use of Kinect that worked well more often than not
You can have other friends with an Xbox One copy of the game and they can take care of your animals for you.
A few different game modes, like free play where you have as much money as you want to build

The Bad:
Sitting around and waiting for ‘research’ to be done so you can unlock more animals
Not being able to design the zoo how you want to with the sidewalks, you just place the new exhibit and the paths/sidewalks are made for you, takes some of the fun away.
Menus felt a bit limited
Not enough content/challenges for longtime serious sim fans

I would say for one of the few family friendly games for the Xbox One that doesn't involve throwing birds around or building Legos, its pretty good and definitely worth the $39.99 MSRP.
on March 18, 2014
I own all the tycoon Zoo for the PC, I have a degree in Art so I love to design especially in a game makes it more fun! When I saw Tycoon Zoo for my xbox 1 I didn't hesitate to buy it; wish I had read some reviews. If you have NEVER played any of the Tycoon on the PC you will like the xbox 1 game! It is nice game where you get to take care of animals and set up the habitats, I think it's a great game for kids. But I think the PC version is much better because in the PC version you get to put paths where you want, pick where you want trees, shrubs, fountains, you design how long you want the fences, you can change landscape and make lakes, mountains, and water falls. These are all things you can't do in the xbox 1 version. The xbox 1 version all the habitats and path ways are per made, all trees, fence & land scape is pre made, you really don't get to design anything. All you do in xbox version is just pick any empty spot & put it down, there is no designing in this game because it is all done for you, which makes it easy to play. But I prefer the challenging PC version.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2014
My husband and I both play this game. He loves Sim City and I love Sims. I also love the zoo but we live in western Oklahoma, literally almost 2 hours from the zoo. This is perfect for us!

You can interact with the animals, put on demonstrations and drive a buggy! The graphics... oh my gosh!!!! We just love this game.

The only downfall is that there is a limit on your zoo. You have to figure out how to keep building it up and leveling up while staying under your space limit. I hope that they take this off but they probably wont. The other thing that I see a lot of people complaining about is because of the limit they cant put many animals or they are having to trade some animals off in order to get others. My thinking is, REAL zoos are always trading, buying, selling or releasing animals. That is how they grow and get other animals.

This is not really a game for young children unless you help them maintain the zoo. There are challenges and things you have to do to maintain your zoo and keep visitors happy. Once you have the zoo built and everyone (including the animals) are happy, then there isnt much to keep up on and you have play with the animals. The game is about maintaining and owning a zoo. Basically having a business. So, just make sure that you check your ratings and keep everyone happy! You will love it, there is no doubt about that! Especially if you are a animal lover! :D
on December 30, 2015
Just as the stars suggest it, it's just okay. My issue with the game is that it seems to have stepped away from what I appreciated so much in the Tycoon games. I really enjoyed the management aspect of "beating" the location I was asked to manage. Now it is so focused on the experience of feeding the animals that it just doesn't attract what I'm attempting to do. There is a fun mode and a challenge mode. I would say that this game is ideal for someone interested in animals. It is also good for those who are looking to get a peek at what it's like running a zoo. Overall, I think it just comes down to, you get what you pay for.
on July 23, 2015
The tycoon games are always so much fun. Combine that with animals and you have a perfect game! My daughter loves playing this game. She likes the fact she can create her own little or big zoo and feed all the animals and care for them. The graphics are great and I love the fact there is no violence or cursing going on in this game like so many other xbox games out there have now. She has several of the tycoon games now and none have disappointed. This is a great game at a great price. All ages that like animals and building and designing would enjoy the game.
on January 5, 2016
This is a really fun, kid-friendly game that adults love too. The best part of the game is the zoo building which is very simple. It's extremely educational, providing wonderful information on conservation, flora and fauna. It also has a simple business aspect, allowing you to research cost-saving technologies, buy advertising to increase attendance and basic staff management. I enjoy the breeding program which allows you to breed albino and other unique color combinations. The photography and photo albums are great fun and the animal interactions are a huge hit. You can wash elephants and bears with a hose, feed giraffes and elephants and play with monkeys. The only downside is the zoo size limit. It maxes out way too quickly, leaving a lot of extra space that you are longing to fill with more exhibits. My 8 year old niece who loves animals had an amazing time with this game. I would love to see Microsoft remove the zoo limit and offer more animals via a DLC pack.
on January 11, 2016
I forgot how addicting these kinds of games were. I'll let you read more detailed reviews from other people, but I'll say that I had a blast with this game (as a 33 year old man) and I would assume kids would love it too. The different themed parks look really cool, the animals are cute, and over all just a game that makes you feel happy.
on October 8, 2015
Great game, lots of fun! You can just play a casual game for fun or do challenges. There's lots of animals and you can get rare colors by breeding your animals. There's hidden coins to find on the walls of exhibits which you take a picture of to collect. You can drive the buggies around and even do challenges where you race the clock. You have to keep you zoo clean, fun, and have variety by constantly switching out newly unlocked animals to keep your guests happy. I did end up getting a glitch in my game because I did the tutorial and I wasn't able to get a couple achievements like invite another player to your zoo. May want to check that bug out to see if it's been fixed before doing the tutorial.
on January 3, 2016
Don't expect much. They severely limit you, so you have to either take down a current exhibit to build a new one. The quests are all the same. I played for about 36 hours in the past 2 months, and i don't plan on playing it again for a long time.
on June 7, 2016
My daughter (11) LOVED this game, for the first couple days... And then she maxed it out (built a whole zoo) and wasn't able to build anymore. She hasn't touched it since... If you can get it on sale, great, otherwise save your money...