Zoom H4n vs. Edirol R-09HR/R-05 vs. ? I am a college student majoring in music composition (mainly classical-film music). I have been researching recorders for a few months now (cnet, amazon, product's websites, etc...) even calling the makers of each device. I am truly lost on which device would be best for my needs and last me throughout my college career. I know that the H4n and XLR and other things over the Rolands but is the sound quality there? Quality is what matters most to me and i know that recordings from the Rolands are great-but MANY people LOVE the H4n. Please help!
asked by Dale Hamilton on May 14, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
I have just been recording with two Zoom recorders with UK electric bass player Laurie Scott Baker. LSB used the blue H3 and I had my H4N. We sat 2-3 meters from each other, I did my dramatic reading and vocal pyrotechnic improvisations, audio design accompaniment and the electric bass. So it was interesting to be able to compare the outcomes, which Laurie will engineer (ex-BBC sound editor). I feel that the H4N was the best recorder of the session.
RUARK LEWIS answered on April 18, 2012

A
votes
You will not regret the flexible input selection of the H4n and the inputs are -quiet-. 32 GB HCSD cards will provide ample recording time even if you are recording 4 simultaneous inputs at max bitrate and resolution. Perhaps someone else with the Roland/Edirol units can comment on their experiences.
Inca Rhodes answered on July 31, 2011

A
votes
I loved my Edirol but recently lost it! I stuck it on the floor at rehearsals, lectures and gigs, and every time I was amazed how good the recording quality was. I'm a musician (I teach at Berklee) not a tech-head so I can't give you any specs, but I was 100% happy with this device. Pretty easy to use. My only real annoyance with it was that you can't put in track marks (which I'd always done on my old mini-disc recorders). Not a very attractive unit, but wonderful sound.
I'm shopping for a new portable device, and may well just get the same thing. Any other users out there want to comment on this vs. the H2 and the H4n?
C. Bent answered on February 2, 2012

A
votes
What did you end up getting?
S. Jay. answered on November 21, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›