Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on April 29, 2008
I just purchased this product to use on my Henckels knifes. About two years ago i purchased a set of 5 star Henckels knifes, after good use they were starting to become pretty dull, the sharpening steel that came with the set did the trick for about 2 or 3 uses but then it was back to being dull. I was told what i needed to have was a sharpening stone and use it in conjunction with the steel.

The written directions were straight forward and somewhat easy to understand. The diagrams though were a little difficult to understand for a novice, but i jumped on Youtube and looked up knife sharpening which made it pretty complete.

There's two side, one a rough sharpening stone and the othere a smooth for finishing. I put a little bit of water on the stone, after i was done using both the stone and the steel sharpener my knifes are just as good as when i bought them.

No good kitchen is complete without a stone sharpner, sharp knifes equals safe fingers.
on January 14, 2009
This product effectively sharpens Henckels knives after they begin to dull over time. I would definitely advise practicing with some junk knives until you are familiar with the sharpening motions. I won't say the stone restores the original sharpness, but I have been very happy with the results. I imagine that with time and practice, one would be able to sharpen knives to near original sharpness. I prefer to use the stone to other knife sharpeners because it will not gouge the blade as long as the instructions are carefully followed.

The only problem I have had with this stone has to do with shipping. I ordered one for myself and it arrived with a cracked and chipped case, which I fixed with super glue. I ordered a second stone as a gift and it also had a cracked and chipped case. I did not have any problems with broken or cracked stones on either order. The merchant should probably better prepare this product for shipment.
on October 23, 2011
This stone gets my cold forged, stainless steel knives razor sharp. I have had this stone combination for a couple years now and it works great. The plastic case with rubber stops holds the stone well on the counter top. The coarse grit side quickly get all the nicks out of the blade and reshapes the bevel. The fine side puts on a mirrored, razor edge. You have to know how to do the work but after a little practice you can feel when the angle is right. I am very satisfied with this product.
on November 1, 2013
Before ordering this I went to You Tube checked out a video for using this type of stone. After receiving it I have sharpened my some of my knives. Someone gave this piece of advice, start with a knife that is older you don't really use; practice with it until you get it right. I am not an expert, yet, but it is much better than using any other kind of knife sharpener. One word of caution, it does take time to practice. This is not something that can do in 5 minutes.
on December 20, 2014
I was able to restore my J.A. Henckels knives to their usual razor edge with this. They're like new again. Wish it were a little more stable on the counter, but it could just be me! There are YouTube videos available which show you how to properly use this product.
on March 3, 2013
I've been using this to finish my Henckels Pro S, Miyabi, and Shun knives after sharpening with lower grit. From the softer German steel, to the harder Japanese steel, it works great. These are rebranded Naniwa Super Stones and the dual surface makes it a great value for people that don't need to sharpen that often since it saves you from buying separate stones. I only use this for a few strokes after sharpening, so this will last me many years. Some people may want finer than 8000 for polishing, but I'm very happy with these results.
on May 8, 2013
I do the cooking at my home. I took a free knife sharpening class at Sur la Table, then bought this. You can buy something fancier, but this is all you need. Take that free class at Sur la Table first to make the most of this modest investment.
on October 28, 2011
Great stone. Made in Japan and works really fast. I tried the sandpaper method and the knife keep cutting into the paper (then you have to put a new paper on). The 250/1000 combo works great, but to get the fine and sharper finish, you need to go up to at least 6000. The case grips on to the counter top well. The biggest thing is that these stones are wider and longer than expected at 3" by 7" (I was expecting Norton size 2" by 6").

Now the Norton stone becomes my flattening stone - rub the 2 stones together in circular motion to flatten out the stone. Make sure that your flattening stone is flat (or new). After you rub, put the flattening stone on top of this stone, shine the light from the other side, and make sure no light gets through. If light gets through, repeats the circular motion until no light gets through. Ideally, a granite flat with sand paper in about matching grit will probably work the best.
on December 28, 2012
I like the price and having 2 surfaces in one stone. Storage case/holder makes the stone easy to use. It took a couple uses to get the knack but now all my knives are in good shape.
on November 13, 2014
Excellent sharpening stone. Though a little expensive, it should last for many years. I use the coarser side until I get a burr on the knife, and then polish with the softer side.