Top positive review
216 people found this helpful
My favorite salad spinner
on January 14, 2005
This is my favorite salad spinner, and I've tried several over the last couple years. It dries my lettuce very well, and has some useful features that I haven't seen in other spinners.
Like the old Zyliss spinner, you pull on a handle to spin the basket. But with this one the more you pull, the faster it spins, kind of like revving up a top or something. It spins much faster than those 'crank' spinners or the 'push down' type -and faster spinning means more water off your veggies.
As for the new features, here are my top five:
1) The lid is clear, so you can see the veggies spinning around in there and make sure you're not overfilling the spinner, the lettuce isnt bunching up in one corner, etc. OK, it's also just mesmerizing to watch your food spin round and round. Kind of like watching your clothes roll around in the dryer.
2) There is a brake! So after you've whipped your veggies into a frenzy, you can slam them to a stop -which also helps get more water off. This works better on the small sized spinner, since there is less weight to stop, but even on the big spinner it works very well. I have seen a brake on another spinner, but this one works much better.
3) The cord pulls itself back in -and gently: I disliked how the old 'string' spinners would yank on your arm, and if you didn't respond just right the string wouldn't pull in at all: it ends up just sitting there in a pile. You'd have to take the lid off and wind it up yourself! This new design winds the cord up every time.
4) The basket is smooth on the inside -that's something I defintely have not seen before. It's a subtle feature, but very helpful: it helps make sure little bits of your lettuce dont get stuck in the basket when you're cleaning it out.
5) You can stack things on top of it, both in the fridge and in the cupboard, because the top is mostly flat. The handle even sits in its own little pocket in the lid so that it's not in the way. In my house fridge space is valuable and I appreciate being able to stack this spinner like I do with my tupperware.
So, overall I am impressed with this spinner (so impressed that I've also given it as a gift!). It does its job very well and has thoughtful extra features which make it more helpful around the kitchen.