Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zyliss Easy Spin Salad Spinner, Large, Green
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 4-6 Servings|Color: Green|Change
Price:$52.36+ $5.32 shipping

on January 14, 2005
This is my favorite salad spinner, and I've tried several over the last couple years. It dries my lettuce very well, and has some useful features that I haven't seen in other spinners.

Like the old Zyliss spinner, you pull on a handle to spin the basket. But with this one the more you pull, the faster it spins, kind of like revving up a top or something. It spins much faster than those 'crank' spinners or the 'push down' type -and faster spinning means more water off your veggies.

As for the new features, here are my top five:

1) The lid is clear, so you can see the veggies spinning around in there and make sure you're not overfilling the spinner, the lettuce isnt bunching up in one corner, etc. OK, it's also just mesmerizing to watch your food spin round and round. Kind of like watching your clothes roll around in the dryer.

2) There is a brake! So after you've whipped your veggies into a frenzy, you can slam them to a stop -which also helps get more water off. This works better on the small sized spinner, since there is less weight to stop, but even on the big spinner it works very well. I have seen a brake on another spinner, but this one works much better.

3) The cord pulls itself back in -and gently: I disliked how the old 'string' spinners would yank on your arm, and if you didn't respond just right the string wouldn't pull in at all: it ends up just sitting there in a pile. You'd have to take the lid off and wind it up yourself! This new design winds the cord up every time.

4) The basket is smooth on the inside -that's something I defintely have not seen before. It's a subtle feature, but very helpful: it helps make sure little bits of your lettuce dont get stuck in the basket when you're cleaning it out.

5) You can stack things on top of it, both in the fridge and in the cupboard, because the top is mostly flat. The handle even sits in its own little pocket in the lid so that it's not in the way. In my house fridge space is valuable and I appreciate being able to stack this spinner like I do with my tupperware.

So, overall I am impressed with this spinner (so impressed that I've also given it as a gift!). It does its job very well and has thoughtful extra features which make it more helpful around the kitchen.
22 comments| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2005
I was at first very excited with my new Zyliss salad spinner - it looks great, and it's much easier to spin than the older string-pull version (not to mention the old-school "pump" versions, which required a lot of effort). However, as another reviewer mentions, it simply does not get your greens very dry. I've been surprised and disappointed by the amount of water left on lettuce after spinning, and spinning, and spinning.
on March 25, 2008
I have both large and small Zyliss spinners. They are the greatest, except that the pull mechanism eventually gives out. On the larger one, the string pull got out of whack, and somehow i got it working again, but the with the smaller one, it just seems to be out of commission for good.

It's too bad, because they improved the design by making the lid two-piece, so you can pull it apart to clean it. But it was too much to pay to have to fiddle with it to get it to work, and then eventually have it stop working entirely.
on November 7, 2004
While this salad spinner has a fairly large capacity and is relatively easy to operate, I feel it does not spin the lettuce as dry as the one I previously owned. (It broke and I can't find the same one.) As a result, I need to spin the lettuce several times and there's still water clinging to the leaves. Because of this my salad dressing is sometimes watered down (which I really dislike). I'm disappointed in this item and I'm considering ordering another salad spinner from another manufacturer. This item is definitely over-priced and does not perform the way I'd expect a Zyliss product to perform.
on April 9, 2008
I purchased the pretty green Zyliss salad spinner at the end of last year. I've used it weekly since then. At first use, I couldn't figure out how to spin it and not have the top move. It is all in how you place the other hand, a bit difficult at first, but I've got it now! Really, really like the product. I wash the romaine in the bowl first, drain and then spin the whole bag at one time. Excellent results!
on April 6, 2007
I'm really happy with this salad spinner. I chose it because it was a reasonable cost and my favourite colour. I love it for a million other reasons: It holds an entire head of lettuce (I've tried romaine and green leaf) with the perfect amount of necessary wiggle room. I use the parts separately while I do my initial lettuce rinse. I eat salads every day for lunch, and it is great to just grab my lettuce and go, instead of going through the tedious tasks of tearing, washing, drying every single day. Likewise, I love how economical and sanitary it is - no more paper or cloth towels! The spinner dries the lettuce extremely well. The "sudden stop" button is a must - that lettuce has some serious momentum! I call this my "salafuge." I have no complaints whatsoever. :)
on July 22, 2007
this is the perfect size for spinning lettuce for two people or for drying herbs, seeding tomatoes etc. It spins really fast and is very easy to use. My only complaint is that it is awkward to hold on to when spinning.
on December 23, 2014
I was excited to try this spinner and it worked fine for the first 3 months...BUT now less than a year old and the blue pull-cord is fraying, leaving a pile of blue fibers after every pull. I fear the blue nylon fibers are being spun onto the greens. The spinner has never been in the dishwasher and is not kept in direct sunlight, but the fraying of the blue nylon cord is a real problem.

Amazon refused to refund this, suggesting to contact Zyliss directly.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SPINNER.
on January 11, 2008
I have the large version of the Zyliss spinner and love it. Wanted the smaller version because I make an individual salad everyday and the size is perfect. The spinning action is great! The only complaint I have is that the parts of the cover do not come apart for cleaning as they do in the larger version. I recommend this spinner over other brands which I have tried and returned, as they spin only minimally compared to this one, thus not drying your lettuce as efficiently.
on October 25, 2015
My kitchen nearly came to a screeching halt when 'someone' in my kitchen got a little overzealous with my Zyliss Salad Spinner. You see, I bought it years ago (I believe at Bed Bath & Beyond) and it had become an integral part of my kitchen... it had taken a beating to be sure. It had been warped by boiling water (really people, watch which sink you drain the pasta in!), it's lovely clear blue bowl had slowly become hazy after years of dishwasher abuse, it had been dropped so many times without ever uttering even the slightest disgruntled sound! It took a beating and never complained. But then... pauvre Zyliss was introduced to the man of the house, or rather the man of the house was introduced to my sweet, harmless, hard-working Zylee baby. It was too much... the temptation to spin the basket ever faster and faster while watching the contents being wrung ever dryer and dryer through the lovely clear bowl was too much temptation and no matter how many warnings were uttered from the other side of the kitchen the urge won out until... snap!

I felt... well, I felt sick! How would I ever get my dressing to stick to my micro greens again? How would I keep my sandwiches from getting soggy from over-damp red lettuce... how would my baby spinach manage? Where would I now find that ever-so-satisfying pleasure from pushing the brake button and watching the water droplets slam helplessly into the bowl's sides; where would a find another Zyliss?! Would it match up... had they changed it thus ruining all the things I had loved about it?

We wandered around from store to store and finally, after months of patting romaine half-heartedly dry with paper toweling, found a near duplicate here on Amazon.

Her lid is still clear (and comes apart for easy washing), her spinner spins beautifully and gracefully, her brake BRAKES! Oh does it brake! The bowl design works wonderfully for rinsing other veggies (though the temptation to spin some veggies should be quelled!) making it indispensable once again in my kitchen. Though I must admit, I guard her a bit more jealously now and am considering buying a second (and third... one just never knows!).

Some tools should not be allowed in the kitchen... ever. Or at least not next to the Zyliss!!

In summation: Get one!