5.0 out of 5 stars Love it
This product is great. The up-and-down pump is such an improvement ergonomically over the old crank-style salad spinners. I like the stop function--I don't have to wait for five minutes for it to stop spinning. It takes about 30 seconds to learn to use the locking mechanism. It's quick and easy to get your lettuce done. We've had it for a year with no problems.
Published on November 25, 2009 by Nor

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - bad design and quality
The gear mechanism broke after three months of normal use, due to use of weak parts in the design. Don't buy this! The gears are made from too soft plastic, and wears out quickly. The metal parts are not stainless so they start to rust. Horrible quality, not worth the money. Get the traditional kinds instead.
Published on March 18, 2009 by klockrike

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - bad design and quality, March 18, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Works well, for 3 months!, March 19, 2009
This review is from: Zyliss Smart Touch Salad Spinner, Green (Kitchen)
Our Christmas present to ourselves worked great for less than 3 months! Being a designer/engineer I took the thing apart. How int he world the engineers imagined the little tiny(about 3/8" in diam.) gear would last is beyond me. A person puts all their weigh down on the lever and this little gear will be easily destroyed. I suppose if your German "und you do jast zo" it would work for a longer time. I would not recc. this to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clogged cogs for dinner tonight honey!, July 18, 2008
Lindy "Lindy" (Mountain View, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Once upon a time I purchased a Zyliss salad spinner. It had a mechanism that was operated with twine. A lot like a yo-yo. Exactly like a yo-yo. I was a little skeptical, how long could the twine last anyway? However, I decided the health benefits of salad was worth $25 and purchased it. Eleven and a half years later the twine broke as I forsaw. A forlorn search through craft stores failed to yield strong twine with the correct diameter. Other twines/string snapped after a few uses.

Once again I shopped glumly and found the Zyliss was highly favored among reviewers. but with a twist. I couldn't find the highly reviewed model in stock. The newer model (this one) however was available. It sported a lever with a lock (to keep it out of your way when not in use), a brake (for those who can't wait for that first luscious, juicy, delectable leaf) and a internal mechanism to convert your up-down motion into moisture-removing centrifugal force. Once again, I was highly skeptical. The twine was fine! What is wrong with the modern world anyway? But since I figure the health benefits of salad outweigh $29.98, once again I purchased.

I've had this for three weeks now. It's been in use almost everyday. Usually, it has trouble engaging when you pump the lever. It can take up to 5-6 tries before the spinning starts. Today the cog jammed.

Like all Zyliss products, it looks great.

If this continues, I will return to Amazon. And remove some stars from this review.

But really, I want 29.98 of that awesome twine so I can repair my old salad spinner.

Update - Sept 10, 2008

I've had the spinner for about a month and a half now. Still eating lots of salad almost daily. I dropped the lid of the spinner on my tiled kitchen floor. It's a very heavy lid and a small plastic piece that hold the entire spinner section in place popped out. I was able to fix this with a drop of super glue (non-toxic, of course!).

The clogs haven't jammed since. I have no problems now starting the spinning action. I've figured out the correct rhythm to keep it spinning. It's working great.

Now I don't know what to think. I can't exactly advocate dropping the lid to fix the cranky mechanism.

I guess I'll simply state that, all things considered, the lid is reasonably robust but not indestructible.

Update April 23, 2011

Life has it's ups and downs and this salad spinner has had more than it's share. I dropped the lid *again* on my tiled kitchen floor and the same plastic piece popped out. More glue but the results were not good. This time the cogs clog, it's all back to original state. Should I close my eyes and slam the lid on the floor a few times? Right now, it's a very pretty colander.

Meanwhile, I've realized that laces for sneakers are amazingly tough things and just the right length. For $1.98, I've got enough enough twine to repair my original salad spinner twice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell apart, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Zyliss Smart Touch Salad Spinner, Green (Kitchen)
Bought this at a local store immediately after getting my first farm shipment--lots of veggies to clean, dry, and put away to keep fresh for 2 weeks.

The capacity of this is great, but the quality is terrible.

- a screw popped out of the top spinning mechanism, and now the lever does not automatically return to its pumping position; I have to manually move the lever up and down
- the lock mechanism never worked
- the bowl is etched and cloudy looking after several uses, though it has ONLY been hand washed
- a large disk shape piece from the underside of the lid became detached after further use

I'm just waiting for it to die completely to get an OXO spinner. An unfortunate $35.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the pull-cord model, January 31, 2009
Beth in Iowa (Iowa City, IA USA) - See all my reviews
Having used both the older model with the pull cord and this newer, "improved" model, I believe that the older model is far superior to this one.

It is true that this one moves around less when operating it, but the mechanism is harder to operate: Pulling is simply easier than pushing for most people.

After owning this new model for less than six months, the lever on top snapped in half (I am a woman of average strength, so I wasn't using it too hard). The design made it impossible to fix, so I have just purchased the older model again, which I am relieved is in stock here again.

Avoid this model. (Zyliss is a good company, so I imagine they will not make this substandard product for long anyway.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but not durable, December 6, 2009
We have owned a number of spinners and when this one was new it had great spinning action. Very easy to use with the press down lever. However after about 1 year of usage 3 - 5 times a week the product broke down gradually. The handle first started to loose its ability to go up and down smoothly and would catch at the bottom and not come back up. A piece attatched to the top that would interlock with the inside basket became loose and fell off. Eventually the basket warped and it was diffucult to put the top on to spin the salad.

I would not buy this product. Durability is a real problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars zyliss smart touch salad spinner, April 30, 2010
It's beautifully designed, solid, and nice to use - when it works. Ours has just broken down five months after purchase. Push down and the basket does NOT spin! Don't buy one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - breaks!, March 18, 2009
We bought this to replace a 20-year old salad spinner and today, after 3 months use, it broke and can't be repaired. The gears are worn out. They are made of soft plastic and are bent, worn, and misshapen, which makes the whole spin mechanism non-functional. Also, the metal parts have started to rust. Absolutely do not buy this. It looks nice, works nice, but will not last, because the quality is horrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, November 25, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic!, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Zyliss Smart Touch Salad Spinner, Green (Kitchen)
I have always been pleased with Zyliss products, but this is the worst. When I first opened it I saw the cheap plastic, at that point I should have returned it. I kept it as I liked the spin, but after dropping the cover and it shattered my first reaction was confirmed. Extremely disappointing, why is the quality so poor.

Zyliss Smart Touch Salad Spinner, Green