5.0 out of 5 stars So Revolutionary!
Published on October 19, 2012 by Nicholas Dreher

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces!
I was at first very excited to order this game; however, upon arrival, my game was missing a few pieces. Most of the necessary pieces for game play were included, i.e. the board, the tile racks, all tiles, the bag, and scorecards. However, my version did not come with any friends.

Published on October 18, 2012 by Justin Masone

5.0 out of 5 stars So Revolutionary!, October 19, 2012
Nicholas Dreher (Littleton, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
So revolutionary, they have as much vision as Apple in their development of new products. And, while you might be saying to yourself that Scrabble had the tile on board features long before the Words With Friends board game, never before has it been packaged in such a sleek and stylish manner. I mean a curved tile holder, that just makes me want to throw my Scrabble set in the garbage just to experience the gentle curve on that on that puppy. Don't even think about getting me started on the tiles with rounded corners.

Needless to say this is the greatest achievement in the history of board games, and probably rates in the top 10 achievements in the history of the human race.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like the app!, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
This looked just like a Scrabble clone, but I decided to try it anyway. I set it up and began to play. I got to go first, so I looked at my letters. At first, I thought they were horrible: ZIMKUSJ. So, I did what I always do in WFW. I went to a word finder, plugged the letters in, and hoped I'd get at least a four letter word. Imagine my shock when it came back with MUZJIKS. I have no idea what that means, but it was a bingo! So far, it was just like Scrabble, except I could cheat.

However, I started realizing it was more like the app. I looked up to see how my friend reacted, when I realized he wasn't there. Three hours later, he came back. I asked where he was, and he said he was at the gym. He made his move, and left. It was JUST like playing it on my phone, only smellier.

It got even better. My friend came back 2 hours later, smelling like cheap whiskey. He decided to finish the game. After he played "QI", a video ad for match.com popped up on my TV. I tried to shut it off, but I couldn't find the "X" button on the remote. I finally used the power button, and our game continued.

After the game, he went home, saying something about needing to give his bird a bath. I still wanted to play, so I went outside and dragged a random person into the house to play. The game started off fairly slow, but got really exciting. I had a huge lead. That's when he said, "I resign." I thought this would be boring, just like in the app when somebody resigns, but he surprised me. He pulled out a gun and robbed me! You can't get that kind of excitement in the app version.

Overall, this is a realistic physical intepretation of WWF. The only thing that would make it better is if they used the same server for the physical game and the app so I could start a game on my phone and finish at my kitchen table. It's still a four star game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words With Friends vs. Scrabble, October 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
So, what the heck is this thing? Simple. It's the PHYSICAL board game of a VIRTUAL board game of a PHYSICAL board game. It's a board-and-tile version of the extremely popular Words With Friends (WWF) app, which is, in turn, based on the venerable Scrabble tile game. Hence, this game is extremely similar to Scrabble. It's basicallty a nutha' kind of Scrabble.

So what are the differences? Here are some:

- The boards are the same size, but the multiple-word square arrangements differ..

- The multiple word squares are distributed differently. For example, WWF has 16 triple-word squares, but Scrabble has only 12.

- Your first word in Scrabble is worth double, but not in WWF.

- WWF has 104 tiles to Scrabble's 100.

- Letter frequencies and point values differ.

- A "Bingo" in Scrabble (all 7 tiles played at once) is worth 50 points; in WWF it's worth only 35.

So, should you get this game? If you already have Scrabble, maybe not. But if you're looking for something similar but different, this might make for a nice change. If you're familiar with and enjoy the WWF app, buy all means buy this game. As long as you have people to play with at home, you'll get a lot of pleasure out of it.

Also check out Jumbulaya Game. And there's also THE Book of Word Games: Parlett's Guide to 150 Great and Quick-to-Learn Word Games. Happy gaming!

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces!, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)

I am very disappointed, as, when I was shopping for a new board game, my decision came down to two: Words with Friends and Scrabble. I came to the conclusion that both games are THE EXACT SAME CONCEPT, but the one deciding factor was my mistaken assumption that Words with Friends would actually come with friends.

I mean, if I wanted to buy a board game where you assembled random tiles to create words, I would have just bought Scrabble.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be even better with some additions, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
It's a great game and would be even better with a few additions:

1. Computerized scoring

2. Maybe have a tablet or screen or something where you could have the letters appear, instead of the tiles

3. Have a smartphone app you could use to find friends to play with

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
The game is a piece of flimsy cardboard - definitely not worth the money. But the worst part -- You're supposed to use the phone app to keep score and check words - but the app suggests you start a game with someone every five seconds and blocks out what you're doing to where you have to completely restart the app (we tried on 4 different devices). We played it one time, I will never play it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother with this game., January 8, 2014
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
I received this game for Christmas and played it once so far and I won't play it again. $20 and the board is a piece of thin cardboard that is bent in the middle so it makes it hard to keep the pieces in their place. It's really a joke and just a way for Zynga to make more money capitalizing on their app. The app is much better for this game. I would say if you really want the physical game, buy a nice classic Scrabble game, afterall, this is just a modern day rip off of Scrabble. This one is so cheaply made.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done, Zynga., December 31, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
I am extremely confused as to how this game even exists. I will not buy it, nor have I, because I already have it. It is something called Scrabble. Seriously, the differences between WWF and Scrabble are so minor, it isn't notable. As well as the fact that scrabble came first, and WWF app was based off of it. If Zynga wants to make a game like this, someone needs to move, because it HAS to be an infringement of SOME law. Come on, people, do NOT tell me this game is original.
Crap. Just crap.
Now, if you are thinking of getting this, get scrabble. It is the original game that inspired it all, and it is really fun! The educational and fun values of the game are incredible. Just make the right buy, and ignore this knock-off until it gets pulled off the shelves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rippoff, October 31, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
I was excited about the game until I opened the box, from the picture it looks sturdy and that there are little groves the tiles set in.not a cheap piece of cardboard that tiles slide off. that with extended use will tear right in half I'm sure ty have a great day

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality is Cheap, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game (Toy)
I love Words With Friends but this board game was disappointing. The packaging was way too much for the contents. The actual board is flimsy cheap cardboard. The board bends out instead of in so gathering the tiles at the end of the game is not easy. The letters on several of the letter tiles are rubbing off. I don't use this game much so it works, but it is not inviting to bring out when friends come over for a game night. It was not worth what it cost.

Zynga Words With Friends Classic Game