4.0 out of 5 stars A nice classic shoe for casual wear
Published on March 9, 2008 by A. Maier

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it.
Published 4 months ago by Quaffer

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice classic shoe for casual wear, March 9, 2008
A. Maier (Fort Wayne, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: adidas Originals Men's Gazelle Shoe (Apparel)
The adidas Gazelle is one of those shoes you buy for a weekend afternoon to wear along with your softest jeans and most comfortable shirt. They look really nice in person, and offer a bit more arch support (and heel height) than many other "old school" retro shoes - but are still a low heeled shoe when compared to modern running and basketball shoes. Insoles are non-removable, so you can't upgrade the fit.

These are slightly narrow and slightly long for their given size. The extra length appears to be due to the rounded shape of the toe box - from experience these will just be a hair long - but not like a well known popular canvas retro shoe where you need to fall back in size.

Overall I'd buy another pair without hesitation, and recommend them to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic, June 1, 2014
This review is from: adidas Originals Men's Gazelle Shoe (Apparel)
The Gazelle has been in the Adidas lineup forever. Some might call it a "retro" shoe, but it's a timeless, no-frills design.
Some things to be aware of, if you're new to the Gazelle:

It's suede. You don't want to get it wet too often. It'll darken the color permanently. If you get the black version, it won't matter as much. Some reviewers complain that it's tight and narrow. This is desirable in suede. As the suede stretches from wear, it conforms to your foot, and you end up with a very comfortable shoe. I'm a 9.5, and that's what I wear in these. It takes about 10 days of daily wear for them to start loosening up on my foot.

The tongue isn't padded. It's a thin, vinyl tongue, like the tongue on the Adidas Samba. When you first get it, it'll be squeaky, until the laces set themselves into the tongue. This thin tongue allows for a more responsive feel on the foot, but it may be an adjustment if you're used to wearing modern moon-boot shoes. In fact, the entire shoe is quite thin, but it isn't floppy. You can easily squeeze into them while they're laced, without having to dig a finger into them to pull the scrunched-up back of the shoe out.

It has a fairly slick sole. You won't be hiking in it. It's not a hard rubber, but it's not a sticky gum rubber, either. It's VERY well bonded to the rubber rand around the bottom. The shoes, in general, are tough, simple, and understated, with the suede providing a bit of casual elegance.

I've worn them for so long that I take them for granted. I think of the Gazelle as a utilitarian shoe, until people comment on them. "Sweet shoes..."

Then I think "Yeah, they really are.".

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Exceptional, March 11, 2003
By A Customer
The Gazelle is one of the few shoes that fits my foot pefectly. Anyone whose foot is rather wide just behind the small toe and fairly narrow at the heel will be happy with these shoes. Being a 35 year old design, however, these are not bought for running shoes (firm sole) and can be very slippery since the tread is meant mainly for indoor soccer on rough, grippy turf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these shoes!, January 1, 2008
These are my favorite pair of shoes, and I keep buying more just because I think they are so great! They wear very well, hold up great over time, and look great with almost anything! I gotta have my adidas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoe Except One Thing, May 27, 2010
Tony (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: adidas Originals Men's Gazelle Shoe (Apparel)
These shoes fit great and look really cool. However, they are very squeaky. Every time I walk around I can here them squeak. This is the top flap rubbing against the shoe. I'm not sure if this goes away with time or not but it has been two weeks already. Aside from that, I really do like them and I'm going to keep wearing them. I just hope they stop squeaking at some point.

Update: They did stop squeaking. It's been two years since I bought these shoes and they are still my primary shoe!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., August 2, 2014
This review is from: adidas Originals Men's Gazelle Shoe (Apparel)
I had the Gazelle OG's for years and I love them to death, but they're a bit beat up and could use a replacement, so I got these expecting only minor differences. Well I couldn't have been more wrong. The great thing about the Gazelle OG's was the thin sole. I like having a thin sole on my shoes, hate feeling like I'm walking on a thick slab of rubber. These shoes however have lost that property. And probably the worst thing about these shoes that really made me stop wearing them after 2 weeks is the tongue. Every step you take in these shoes will make an annoying audible squeak. It drove me nuts. On top of that, the Gazelle OG had a good solid tongue build, whereas on these shoes it seems like they glued some felt onto a strip of styrofoam. Flimsy and ugly. Even though these are less expensive than the Gazelle OG's, I would highly advise against buying these shoes and opting for the OG's because those shoes are certainly the best I've ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoes!, August 30, 2013
I have narrow feet and these shoes fit me better than any other shoes I've ever owned. They hold up great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Shoes...Ideal for That "Classic" Look, April 20, 2003
Stephen J. Carlson (Overland Park, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Gazelle is a "classic" shoe from Adidas, that has been so popular, it has been around since the late 60s. I have the Spy/Black version and am very happy with them.
The treads on the bottom of the shoe are essentially flat with a pattern of small, indented hexagons underneath (nothing fancy). This does not give you a lot of traction compared to regular athletic shoes. The relatively low amount of traction makes these shoes bad for outdoor running or other sports that are hard on your shoes (I started to play some outdoor tennis in my pair, and noticed that the rough tennis court was gradually starting to grind the sole off).
The outside is suede, which obviously means it's best not to wear these shoes when your feet will be getting wet. The stripes are leather and pretty typical. The tongue is long and thin, and bothered me at first, until I kept it moved to the side. The shoelaces are pretty standard and come untied about as often as to be expected (more often than those rounded shoe strings).
That's about all I can think of for these shoes. I think they are a superb buy since they come in a great 7 different colors, are not too pricey, and have a look that is ultra-stylin' !

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy and Classic, December 26, 2009
This review is from: adidas Originals Men's Gazelle Shoe (Apparel)
I purchased my first pair of Adidas Gazelles back in 1990 during my senior year in high school because that is what cool soccer players did. They were kelly green which caused many people to stare at my feet. Basically only soccer players wore Gazelles in those days, and they were always black, blue or red. I got my second pair of Adidas Gazelles during my college years at Purdue. They were magenta (hot pink) which really caused a lot of people to turn their heads. I obviously thought I became cooler in college. I am currently on my third pair of Gazelles and have gone with a more conservative color - navy blue. I'm not as cool as I once was. Since my Gazelles are several years old, the color has faded some and the tread is really worn, but fortunately the comfort factor isn't gone. Regardless of your lifestyle and color of choice, the Gazelles are a very comfortable, durable and good looking shoe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, September 20, 2014
These shoes are great, they look exactly like they do in the photos and fit perfectly. They are comfy too, but not at all like a running shoe and any other athletic shoe. These aren't made to make you run like a gazelle. Although they look well, they are the most annoying pair of shoes I've ever owned. I've had them for a month and they still squeak because the tongue is made of canvas with some Styrofoam on it, whenever I get up or even move my foot it squeak squeak squeaks. I look retarded for something I can't prevent, the only way to is to drag your feet on the floor, then you look even more retarded. If anyone can give me suggestions on how to minimize that, it would be great. I'm not saying not to buy these shoes, but buyers beware.

adidas Originals Men's Gazelle Shoe