Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 12, 2013
I love the style of these shoes, and I've owned them before. But they've changed the material, and now they squeak really loudly. You might not think it's a big deal, but this video shows just how squeaky they are. The Sambas in this video were purchased in March 2013, and were worn for over 20 miles of walking before filming this video.

I've read tips from other reviewers who were able to reduce the squeaking using lotion or vaseline on the tongue (the primary target). I'll try this, but should that really be necessary? I was hoping the squeaking would go away after a break-in period, but no such luck.
1616 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2013
these shoes squeak like there's no tomorrow! the tongue and the inside of the shoe rub with each step and make the most obnoxious noise. i love sambas for doing legs day training because of the solid base but I can't wear these around they make way too much noise!!
on October 11, 2015
Toe on the shoes ripped within 30 days. I didn't even play any sports or any other activity other than daily walking. Seems like a knockoff product to me, as I wouldn't expect a genuine Adidas product to fall apart within 30 days. I contacted Amazon to see if I could get a replacement or something and they were of no assistance at all!
review image
on November 12, 2014
Apparently there are two types of Sambas. I've always liked the look of the Samba, but when I've tried them on in the past I was always disappointed with the comfort. The "classic" Samba is a little narrower and has more aggressive arch support along with the longer tongue. The "original" Samba is a bit wider, flat footed and has a short tongue. Other than that, there are only minor esoteric differences. One minor problem I have is there is no "shoe lace loop" on the tongue. So, the tongue has a tendency to slide down to the right or left while walking. Tightening the laces usually fixes this.

I'd tried on the "classic" in the past, as it is usually what you will find in sporting-goods stores. I don't like them. I have high arches but prefer the feel of a flat footed shoe (think Chucks or cheap sandals). These feel similar, but have more tension in the heel. The added tension provides some comfort to your heel and, most importantly, keeps these shoes snug on the foot. Really, it takes a good amount of effort to get these off--they're not going anywhere.

Now...many people complain about the squeakiness of the shoes. They do squeak. It's like a rubber-on-leather sound that is mildly annoying and unpleasant. However, there are very simple fixes...shoe polish, sandpaper, tape... All I did was put some scotch tape on the tongue and my shoes are nice and quiet. Many people seem to be overreacting to this point...it's an easy fix and not worth totally ditching a perfectly good shoe.

These are my new go-to shoe for casual days. They look great and are very comfortable. I've had several people comment on them already. My only gripe is that I should have ordered a half-size larger. I wear around a 12 and that's what I ordered. These seem to run slightly small, or are meant to the tight, my toes often touch the front of the shoe. By the time I'd realized this, I'd worn the shoes for a few days and was unable to return them. But, I've grown accustomed to the snug fit and quite like them. Once the leather breaks, these shoes are very easy to wear all day. Once mine wear out (most likely in a few years or so) I will definitely buy another pair. Great shoes.
on July 18, 2013
I've had a ton of Samba's and I love them, but this is the first pair that squeaks. The tongue rubs against the side and squeaks and it annoys the crap out of me
on June 29, 2011
I bought the Adidas Samba, classic over a year ago, which I loved. I had to replace it do to wear and tear. So I went searching to get another one. I thought I did, but they changed it a little. I should have known when in the reviews people were complaining about the sneakers making a squeaking sound. I didn't pay attention to it, wish I had. For over two weeks now, all I hear is the squeaking. The shortened the tongue, and instead of leather, they use a plastic material on the tongue, hence the squeaking. If wasn't for that I would give it 5 stars.
on October 30, 2013
The shoe looks good, but the shoe will be squeaky. Order some sandpaper at the same time, so you can wear in the tongue to get rid of the squeak.

Also, this shoe is really hard to find in this color in (non-online) stores, so I'm glad I could buy it here.
on May 6, 2015
Sambas are the best - plain and simple. They look old school when I wear them for indoor soccer. They look good with ankle socks and a pair of shorts in the summer. I'm a 45 year old dad and I refuse to give up to total middle age and wear light colored jeans with the big white Reebok cross trainers - these sambas look great with a pair of cool jeans for a casual look. They actually are cool enough that my 14 year old son asked for the same exact pair.
on March 2, 2016
What happened Adidas? I've worn Sambas for as long as I can remember. My last pair lasted over 3 years pounding the tough NYC streets. This pair I bought on July 22 of last year, already (as another reviewer pointed out) has a huge hole in the toe! Homeless people are trying to give me money because I look like a ragamuffin. I am really sad because this shoe is part of my well crafted rock-n-roll persona. Now I am saddled with the sisyphean task of finding another shoe that lasts longer with equal style. I can't type anymore because tears have filled my keyboard....bwWhDjsaoll%8(8&+@m...
on May 15, 2016
Ordered size 10-1/2 because that what most of shoes fit as. These were the smallest 10-1/2's I have ever put on me feet. Sent them back and got a 11. They were a LOT bigger, seemed to far more than half a size larger. I finally put an extra insole on top of the ones glued in, and that filled out a lot of the space and made them a lot more comfortable to wear. They still seem a tad long, but oh well. What we do for fashion :-) And no, I don't play soccer and I'm not in a hip-hop group. But I like to WATCH the World Cup every four years, and my kids will go to soccer camp for the first time this summer. I wanted black leather sneakers and I love the Adidas stripe. Plus my wife worked for Under Armour for while and they are a-holes there, though they do make a comfortable running shoe, much more comfortable than these are. Though from what I understand these are still among the absolute best indoor soccer shoes.

The other negative about them is that one of the tongues won't break in. It either stabs the middle of my ankle or I have to slide it down to one side out of the way. OK, after all that I'm changing my rating from 4 to 3 stars. They look great though! And hard to beat the price for leather shoe that's been made for over 60 years. If only they still made them exactly the same way. They've replace too much leather with vinyl, which is the main problem with the tongue and why you pretty much have to wear them with socks. They don't breathe like all-leather.

Buy them and send them back if they drive you crazy.