Do these take advantage of a soundcard? If these are plugged into a USB port for the wireless... is there a point in spending $60 on a 7.1 Soundblaster? your not plugging into the soundcard, so does it just use the onboard audio driver?
asked by Amazon Customer on December 8, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
I hope a more informed person will post to enlighten us, but I believe this bypasses your sound card/built in audio codec. I think that is the same for any USB headset.

You would need to plug a headset directly via mini jacks in the sound card to use that. I guess where I am lacking clarity is that I believe there is no special speaker hardware for headsets to do "positional" surround. I think it is all simulated- either in the chip in the USB dongle or in your PCI sound card.
John Kane answered on January 23, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Nope there's no point in paying 60 bucks on a 7.1 soundcard in tandem, unless you also want to have a surround speaker setup.

You are correct John, all audio is processed by the G930's soundcard including the simulated 7.1. While using the headset all other audio hardware in your system will be ignored.
BillyWallace answered on January 29, 2012
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks Guys.. well that answers it. since I also have a 5.1 surround system for when the wife isn't home and I'm playing BF3, I just need to get a wired headset to continue to use, what I would believe to be, better audio processing on the standalone soundcard. But then I see items like the Razer Megaladon, which advertises 7.1, but it is USB connected... so again it would appear that device would only use the simulated surround inside the actual headset? as opposed to a minijack plugged into the soundcard, does it make a difference? or will all surround headsets do all processing in the headset and therefore doesn't matter in the least how it connects to the PC?
Amazon Customer answered on February 19, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›