Need advice re ASUS G73JW-A1 purchase, please.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2010 2:26:45 AM PST
D. Burke says:
I really want this machine, but several people who reviewed it mentioned that the keyboard was unsatisfactory in several ways: It over-all just had a cheap, flimsy feel to it., The keys feel mushy and indistinct., The keys have no indentations so that your fingers have a tendency to slip off of them., There is a problem with a lag when typing fast, causing misspellings and typos.

There were some tweaks suggested to overcome the lag problem, but one person said that you would just have to use an external keyboard to be able to type comfortably and another person said they were going to return the machine altogether because of the unfriendly keyboard.

I enjoy games and the more speed and the better the visual, the more I enjoy them, but I also do a lot of writing and so the keyboard is important to me for that purpose, as well.

I would appreciate more opinions on just the usability of the keyboard. I'm otherwise completely sold on this computer.

Thanks to anyone willing to help me past this stumbling block.

(What I really want is for someone to tell me (truthfully) that it is a perfectly functional keyboard and that it will hold up to writing a novel as well as it holds up to the most maxed out games.)

Thanks, again.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 10:42:51 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 22, 2010 10:43:19 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 10:43:31 PM PST
Just LG says:
I already got used to the keyboard.... so I think you should not have problems with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 12:19:04 PM PST
D. Burke says:
Thank you, very much, for your response. I did buy it and I will post my review of the keyboard. Earlier reviews had nearly scared me off.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 2:31:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2010 2:35:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 12:58:12 PM PST
Fran says:
What are your initial impressions about the keyboard? And the laptop in general? I am very close to buying one and value your opinions!

BTW, i plan on using an external lighted keyboard most of the time as this is my "desktop" computer and will only really use the laptop KB when traveling (not often I may add)

Thank you

John

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 4:49:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2010 5:20:16 PM PST
D. Burke says:
John,

See my review, "Better than I even hoped for". I think typing on the keyboard is completely fine. It doesn't hamper my typing in any way at all, in fact, I like it better than my old HP 9000's keyboard.

I am loving mine and I agree with the reviewers that say things like, "Best Bang for the Buck". And wait till you hear the sound quality and volume!

It does come with a lot of bloatware so you might want to Google "how to remove bloatware from Asus G73". Some guy made a detailed list of what each included program does and gives advice on whether or not to keep it that was really helpful. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

I have some complaints about Windows 7, but that is the OS, not the computer.

You might want to check out your keyboard thoroughly within the returns timeframe because, apparently, some of these do have a problem with keys skipping. Hasn't happened with mine, but if it had I'd immediately have sent it back for exchange.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have (that are within my ability to answer.)

Good luck!

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 8:12:01 AM PST
hi there, you guys appears to be happy with this machine, well, actually I am looking to buy this one, but not for games, instead for hd video editing. ¿do you thing this machine will works fine with Adobe after effects or premiere pro? I will appreciate your comments about this. ¡enjoy gaming!

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 9:00:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2010 9:26:37 AM PST
Hunchola says:
Hey Tathyana. I use this machine for graphics and video and for me it has been great so far. The keyboard has taken me a little while to get used to being a chiclet keyboard, and some people (not all) have also complained about issues with mis-typing and typos when using it. You can get used to it. Or plug in an external keyboard if you are at a desk.

It has been much faster when rendering things, file transfers etc and i am glad i purchased it. AFX on a 64bit machine is cool. You can always get a RAM upgrade if you need more power, and an SSD (if you have the money to spend) to increase speed/performance more, but i guess depends on how much you are doing at once. to keep it fast i use the 2nd drive for the scratch disks/scratch space and to store all my files and stuff so it doesnt lag the main drive. it will still never replace the power of a desktop, but it does a pretty good darn job of coming close IMHO

You might need to adjust the colours as for video and/or graphic work they may appear to have a bluish-cast. You can fix this with a monitor calibrator or if you dont have one i found some color profile on a website that helped fix my computer color. The color profile that you can find on this rather helpful owners forum. hang on i find it for you... It is on this page somewhere (i think): http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/518687-asus-g73jw-owners-lounge-62.html (haha you are very lucky i bookmarked it!!).

BTW that named forum post is worth a read for G37Jw owners, though some of it concerns gamers. if the profile is not on that page i had bookmarked, it is on a different one between pages 50-70 (sorry FF wont open it to check). Might be stating the obvious but doesnt hurt to mention that dont expect the battery life to be amazing if doing video (or gaming) since it is a "beast of a machine" so you can expect to have to use it plugged into power source or buy spare batteries if you ever need to cut on location or anything. hope this helps you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 3:25:53 PM PST
E. Minor says:
The keyboard has not been a problem for me. Like any new keyboard experience (new laptop), there was a short adjustment period. But I don't notice any lag and I certainly don't make more typing errors. My G73-A1 has been a fantastic computer for me. I'm totally satisfied. Of course, I may have to join a gym and strengthen my G73 muscles.

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 7:18:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2011 8:45:42 AM PST
ASUS G73JW-ROG Limited Edition Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop - Black
Hi there, I bought this machine, it is amazing, came with 16GB ram memory, 1T hard disc in two discs of 500GB each, one of those is Solid Disc, wich means that the acces time for info is shorter than an ATA disc, it is big, and beautiful finish, great quality machine, I bought not for games instead for video processing, works absolutely fine with After Efects and Premiere, only have troubles activating the blue ray suite software that includes the G73, but is only that kinfd of free software that came with it, I am looking or a better one. I am happy with machine, I will recommend a friend.
About the KEYBOARD, I did not notice a lot difference between other, mayfe the keys are a little flat than others but is not a big deal, is the performance what is important to me, unless you are a writer mayfe will need some practice to get expertise whit it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 8:32:27 AM PST
¡Thank you for your advice Hunchola!, sorry I answer until now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 8:47:58 AM PST
¡Thank you for your advice Hunchola!, sorry I answer until now, I bought the G37jw-ROG special edition, guau ¡what a machine!, thank you very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 5:35:39 PM PST
E. Minor says:
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do my G73-A1.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 3:59:39 PM PST
I am planning on buying the G73Jw-A1. The questions that I have are
1. Is it possible to remove one 500GB hard drive and put an SSD?
2. Is it possible to shut off the Video Memory (From eating the battery life) when not needed - most of them time when I do some office work, i do not need any heavy video processing.
3. Should the warranty be same no matter where you buy it from? It is 2 years with 1 year accidental damage?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 10:43:17 PM PST
Hunchola says:
Answers to your questions.
1. Yes. you can remove one drive and add an SSD - of course best to do this for the main hard-drive. There are walkthroughs on how on the web (incase you dont know how to) or if you buy from a reputable shop they will add often add this as an upgrade. People have reported a marked noticeable performance boost.
2. If you are running on battery then you can expect up to two if running on battery (depending on tasks) - this is common for all these huge machines. It does have a battery saving mode that will increase this time by cutting down unnecessary tasks, however the screen dims and i rarely use it TBH. Quiet Office mode helps aswell. But a beast like this is gonna be hard to expect lengthy battery times given its power. Trrning wifi off & reducing lights and screen contrast would help save power.
3. Warranty as a general for Asus laptops is 2-years international warranty, but some of models sold through places like Best Buy (i think) and many of the modified versions only come with one year and no included mouse, backpack etc. This is how they can sell them cheaper! Also diff countries offer slightly different warranty terms based on that 1 year accidental damage. So make sure you check the specs and warranty first. If you don't know, then ask!

Depending on who you buy it from (if on amazon or places like GenTech* or Xotic PC*) they can offer extended warranties beyond the 2 years. I suggest paying the little extra to get the best value. *If you are a student, the stores i just mentioned offer student discounts.

This thread [quite long] will be helpful - http://bit.ly/eeqdkb many of the questions you may have will most likely be amongst these pages ;) (forum for this model laptop)

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 4:32:43 PM PST
Hunchola,
Thanks for your explanation. I am planning to buy from Microsoft store. They are offering only 1 year warranty, without any mouse or laptop bag. I could purchase an extended warranty for one more year (2nd year) by paying $99 more.

Regarding the battery, I was initially wondering about some of the laptops comes with a switch/button where you could toggle to use the dedicated video memory or to share the 8GB base memory. I am not sure if this laptop comes with that toggle/switch. I guess not. However, thanks for the ideas about reducing the battery consumption.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2011 12:10:39 AM PST
Hunchola says:
No worries. Ah ok...my bad... AFAIK there is no switch that does this toggle function, and I don't know of any way to set that up. You can check out and download the manuals for all the parts of this machine at this link though if you want to check it out yourself: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us or ask on that forum i gave the link for (someone might know of a utility prog). Or call ASUS tech support?

As for the warranty, I have never had a need to use it with all the ASUS laptops I have owned so i guess it is personal preference as to whether you think you need it, depending on your uses and treatment etc. Can't hurt if you want the assurance, but i guess it is up to you and your budget. I just like to have it there on the off-chance, but each to there own :) Enjoy your purchase - it's a great choice.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 11:31:37 AM PST
Thanks Hunchola,
I am getting my laptop from Mircosoftstore.com shipped to me today. I ordered it yesterday - free overnight (they messed up my previous order and hence they pay for overnight). It is only $999 + tax. They are so responsible and apologize for corrupting my previous order (for this same laptop for 1099$). Good thing they corrupted it saved me $100 less. Thanks for all your help. Can't wait for the UPS truck to show up in my driveway.

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 12:02:34 PM PST
I got the laptop and it is great. Though Microsoft store Customer Service person said that it does not come with backpack and mouse, it did come with both. Also, the Microsoft store customer service said that it comes with only one year warranty, it comes with 2 year and an 1 year accidental damage warranty if you register with ASUS within 60 days. Having fun now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2011

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
ASUS G73JW-A1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black)
ASUS G73JW-A1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) by Asus
4.0 out of 5 stars   (175)