Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > 10,000 Days forum

this album is just another tool stunt!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2006 9:44:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 13, 2007 8:27:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2006 10:48:51 PM PDT
rockfan07 says:
I don't think it's a joke. Jambi is just a totally awesome song... Maybe they did lose it a little but it's still a lot better than most of what I hear coming out these days. I hope it is a joke but if it isn't then we at least we get 4 good new songs to listen to from them after 5 years of waiting. (1,2,5,and 8)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2006 10:53:46 PM PDT
A. Henke says:
Where can you hear these songs?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2006 11:14:46 PM PDT
rockfan07 says:
go to a search engine and type in torrent.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:31:57 AM PDT
C. Coelho says:
I agree! I remember Blair saying something along the lines, "It takes a lot of time, money and energy in creating a fake, tool sounding song/album in order to stave off illegal fire sharing and bootlegging of the authentic album." He said something along those lines. Obviously not word for word, but the point was driven home in similar text.

We could be witnessing one of the greatest rock n roll pranks of all time. Releasing a fake single to the radio and internet? Brilliant. What's not brilliant is "Vicarious". It has GENERIC riffs and lyrics. Painfully generic. It doesn't move me in the least bit. It sounds like Tool, but it sounds more like the everyday crap you hear on the radio. It sounds enough like Tool in order to trick people. The opening sounds a lot like Schism and the drums in the end sounds a lot like The Grudge. And if in fact this is the real deal, then we are looking at the most generic, lamest lyrics to ever grace a Tool song.

In my heart of hearts, "Vicarious" is fake. Just read the definition of Vicarious: Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 8:15:46 AM PDT
Granted, Vicarious is somewhat bland, but it is the first single from the album, which tends the be the dryest artistically (see: Schism, Sober). I have heard the entire album and think that on a whole it is their strongest one. There is some experimentation that will drive some fans away, but that's the beauty of art: evolution. As for the "rehashed" riffs, has noone every heard of musical themes? Composers were infamous for revisiting a musical phrase or melody just to invoke images of that song/story. As Tool is such a metaphoric band, it only makes sense that they would try to call back to other songs just to keep the story going.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 8:39:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2006 8:40:00 AM PDT
W. Looney says:
I agree with Jonathan. This is not a hoax. While I don't think any of their work will ever match AEnima, this will probably go down as my 2nd fav (not sure yet, still have to give it a few more listens). This is progressive rock and it is very experimental (don't forget Pink Floyd is one of Tool's biggest influences). That will definately drive people away, but give it a chance first. While I liked it from my first listen, many might need some time to get into it.

Also, Maynard's mother had a stroke, was paralyzed, and lived 27 more years before she died. 27 years is approximately 10,000 days. If this was a joke, I am pretty sure the hoax title wouldn't be something so personal to Maynard.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 9:06:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2006 12:58:17 PM PDT
michael__v says:
Why do so many people think Vicarious isnt that great of a song. I think its one of their best. I think people are rushing to judgement on this album, unfortunately they are comparing Tool to Tool and not to all the other crap that is out there today.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 9:19:06 AM PDT
W. Looney says:
I want more, too!!! (but I always do)

Vicarious is pretty good, but that isn't quite the direction this album goes in. You would have to agree with that, right? I also don't know how you can call this the same as anything they have done. To me, they used the best parts of their past work, trashed what wasn't as good, and took us on quite a journey into some sounds that we have never heard before. Also, their talent as a group is what is so amazing on this one. They just know eachother so well that everything, to me, was perfect. I loved this album after a few listens so maybe I am rushing to judgement, but I really donit know how my opinion would get worse with more listens. I was sold on this one from just the first 5 tracks. Timewise, that is over half the album (just over 38 minutes).

I love your last comment. This is all of us comparing Tool to Tool, haha. Gotta love it, it is still far superior to alot of the other crap ot today.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 12:54:49 PM PDT
Obliviously none of you have a musician's ear or understanding of what Tool is about. If any of you knew anything about Tool, especially you Emmad, you'd know that Adam is and has always been an effect to the music. Very rarely do you see his "riffs" take any type of lead. Tool uses him much like Rush uses Alex Lifeson. The heart, soul, and sound of Tool will always be Danny and Justin. Maynard is a writer/vocalist after what they have created.

From what I have read from everyone so far in the forum it reminds me of the same zombies that pay their $55 dollars to see Tool and stand there and shout "OH! YEA! PLAY SOBER!!!!" Maynard was quoted by the "V" Channel Sydney, Australia in 2002 saying, "Our fan base are mostly artists in their on right which allow themselves to be vulnerable and forgiving to where we might take them with our music." "For all others that want to question or criticize they can have the Billboard Top 40."

I have the album and so far I see nothing but true musicianship and artist that have created a special sound that is their own much like so many that have come before them...............

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 2:07:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2006 2:09:10 PM PDT
D. Adams says:
Looney, you make a really good point, but I'm not sure what Maynard thinks of his mother. I mean, look at the lyrics of Judith (his mother's name, by the way). He resents the fact that she was so religious and then "her God" injured her. After her permanent injury, her faith just became stronger. I really wouldn't doubt him making this fake if that's what the 10000 days really means.

Something else nobody has mentioned yet is maybe some of the tracks are real and some are fake. I mean I agree, it would be a little weird to release a single to radio stations and it be a fake. I wouldn't put it past them though. Looks like we'll have to wait till the 2nd to find out the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 2:15:57 PM PDT
Ian Connin says:
yeah, on top of that he adds praise to God in some of the lyrics. I am not saying that its a bad thing, it just seems very out of character for him to say things in the way they are written on some of the tracks. That is the only reason why I still speculate on whether we have been delivered the truth or not. Other than that I pretty much believe everything, even though I haven't listened to anything but vicarious to back up my statement. I have read the lyrics to some of the other songs though but I haven't listened to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 2:29:43 PM PDT
It could be fake, The Pot is not Maynard's voice. One thought, first download I found of Vicarious was either and intro or outro.. Then the first album I got was blank, then the second was Wizard of Oz... 10,000 Days sounds allot like Dark Side of Moon.... What do you play to the Wizard of Oz....... They had a long brake and their history is one to do fake release for peir to peir.... Could just be studio tracks... May 2nd we'll all know but I have say its pretty good so far....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 2:34:02 PM PDT
Ian Connin says:
I am not quite sure what you are getting at, sorry guess I am kind of slow. What sounds pretty good so far? That your speculation might lead to the idea that some of this stuff is fake...or that it all the tracks seem legit and you are just comparing their songs to other songs?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:08:01 PM PDT
Jason! says:
yeah, i'm kinda suspicious about this album too. I mean, its definitely Tool, and its a pretty good album....i do really like it. I don't think its that great of an idea to compare it to the other albums though. They are all too different from each other to really do that. All i know is, I don't listen to hardly any metal or rock or "prog rock" other than Tool, and when Lateralus came out all my friends that only listen to rock and metal and such didn't like Lateralus. They said stuff like "its good, but i like their older, harder stuff better." Whereas I was like "dude, do you hear this? its beautiful music." Not that the other albums weren't beautiful, but to diss it just because its not just a bunch of power chords and a guy yelling up front? That stuff is played out, all those bands are all the same. Aenima was from an evolved/matured version of the people in the band that made Undertow, and Lateralus was from an evolved/matured version of the people that were in the band that made Aenima. People grow and change, and if the music were the same then you'd know they were stagnating as human beings, not just a band musically.

Anyway, I got what is said to be the album art for 10,000 Days....and the track listing on the back is almost completely different than the leaked internet album. The only song title i can see that is the same is the title track. one of the images has this visible:
Track 2 - Viscera
Track 3 - Steel & Paint
Track 4 - os
Track 5 - The Veil
Track 6 - cle d'or
Track 7 - mezzotint
Track 8 - delta
Track 9 - disharmony
Track 10 - nox noctis
Track 11 - ten thousand days
Track 12 - the bezoar

i can't tell what Track 1 is titled, starts with the letter 'a' and is like 6 letters long. Thats from the back cover, and the image has all the standard crap you see on the back. However there is another image that is supposed to be the back cover of 10,000 Days as well........with a completely different track list. The second image doesn't look authentic at all and has reference to a band called Cul De Sac. In one of the pictures with the members of Tool, they are all sitting on two couches in somebody's living room and at their feet it says "ITS NOT US ITS A FAKE" even though its obviously really them in the photograph.

Now, i dont' know about any of this crap.....it could be we all have the same album that will be released on May 2nd. or we all ahve the same music that will be released on May 2nd, but with different track titles, and maybe a different order to the tracks. But it is Tool, and the leak is a pretty good album. Who knows what these guys are doing......maybe it is all a stunt?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:19:05 PM PDT
You're such a dork Emaad. Have you ever seen TOOL live? Do you not notice that what they create live is almost like ONE large song or dare I say, OPUS? It's arguable the albums are a different and less amazing experience like most "head" music bands. I mean, how can you capture that on vinyl or digitally? That's right! You CAN'T!! A stunt indeed. Everything they do is a stunt in the sense that they jump through rings of fire and swing from the ceiling and fire their thoughts via Sound & Vision from cannons. Man oh manoschewits!! I've never heard such incessant whining. Be glad you can take a little piece home to listen to yourself. Shows will sell out briskly, especially this coming theater tour they're doing. Those tix are going within minutes, GUARANTEED!!! I for one will be manning a phone and the computer simultaneously trying to get my two ticket limit fulfilled AND THEN I'll drive 4 hours to go see the closest show to me. Seriously, if you haven't given the live TOOL EXPERIENCE a chance, you're totally missing the point. They're not MULES man! They're not your entertainment slaves. They're a band with a vision and they have never NOT done it their way. Good for them. If only the other 10,000 bands of the "catch up to Tool" genre had any balls life would indeed be a free flowing and truly inspiring adventure. Shame on you Emaad Zaman for being such a short-sighted DOUCHE!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:22:07 PM PDT
Jason! says:
Douglas Adams,

On the APC DVD aMotive, maynard explains on the commentary that Judith is about the hypocrisy of the people around his mother after her anyerism, who told her how strong her faith was, and then talked about her behind her back....its not that he resented anything about his mother....the line "F your god, your lord, your christ" he says "doesn't mean F*** THE God, but F*** their god that made them so isolationist."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:24:11 PM PDT
Jason! says:
Ian Connin,

i can't tell what all teh lyrics are in that song, but it sounds like its about angels watching us kill each other and wondering what is going wrong with us, as creations of god....maybe that line about praising god is asking god to end it all? or fix it? i dunno, i can't tell what all the lyrics are.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:29:49 PM PDT
Ian Connin says:
Its all good, I wasn't trying to argue, I was more just thinking out loud for other people to see. What you say sounds like an interesting concept, it is just seeing those kind of lyrics threw me off a bit. I don't think Maynard is some hardcore Satanist or trying to get attention with his F God songs and all that, it is just that in the scheme of things it seemed out of character. That didn't come out right, I don't really know what I am trying to say I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 3:34:52 PM PDT
W. Looney says:
I disagree. From what I am hearing in 'Wings for Marie,' Maynard is simply admiring and appreciating his mother's belief in him by calling her an 'angel.' That doesn't have to be a religious reference, but with her faith, it probably is meant to have a double meaning. In the end he just says it's time to let her go, so I just see this song as a tribute to her.

In '10,000 Days' (which is incredible by the way) he clearly shows his feelings about religion, but he is also saying if there is a god/heaven/whatever, Judith Marie will be there: "you're the only one who can hold your head up high
shake your fist at the gates sayin' i have come home now fetch me the spirit, the son and the father, tell them their pillar of faith has ascended..."

In the end, Maynard asks his mother to look her 'maker' in the eye and tell it that he never lived a lie, etc. I don't see any praise to 'god' at all. Am I missing the song you are referencing (I just assumed it was these 2)?

I am making a bold statement (not really since it's an opinion) after more listens today: This is Tool's best work yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 4:20:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 13, 2007 8:36:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 5:05:28 PM PDT
W. Looney says:
Can you imagine Sigur Ros opening for Tool? :) wow

Anyway, I understand where you are coming from, but I am 26, I have hated most testosterone driven music since I can remember, and I do NOT in any way see how '10,000 Days' could be considered that. To me, Tool grew up with you/us. I think this album took in all the best parts of the others, to create the best piece of artistic rock I have ever heard. The drums are precise and technically amazing. The bass is their thing, and Justin shines once again. Most of Adam's guitar work was truely amazing to me, too.

With the bands you mentioned at the end of your post, I realize you have GREAT taste in music, but it also surprises me that you don't like this. Do me a favor and give it another listen, maybe starting from track 3 on (I love Jambi, but sounds like you aren't into that anymore). Either way I repect anyones opinion, but espescially someone you shows good musical taste. Hope you like it more the next time around.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 8:49:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 21, 2006 8:54:42 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 8:58:32 AM PDT
Seattleboy says:
I just heard the whole album. I need to listen to it a lot more, but so far I would agree with those who gave it a 3.5 out of 5. As for those who are speculating that this leaked album is not the real album, I think that is a little farfetched, but who knows. I doubt Tool would puposely record fake songs to fool everyone. However, it is possible that these songs were all the songs that were rejected from the final cut of "10,000 days." In other words, maybe these are the B-sides. One thing is obvious though, if we are all hoping this isn't actually the real "10,000 Days," then that doesn't say much for the album if it is

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 9:28:34 AM PDT
Nomnom says:
You sir, are an idiot. 10,000 days is as far from experimental or progressive as you can get. Perhaps you missed Tool's release of Lateralus. That's as forward thinking as you can get with "Rock 'n Roll." Period.

As for 10,000 days, I'll simply reiterate what the seasoned music listeners have been saying: Either this is a great hoax (which could be true considering how easy it is to procure, and how nothing's being done about it), OR Tool is choosing to appeal to the lowest common denominator and thus sell more records with this boring, formulaic, D minor tuning, pop songs.

And anyone who likes Aenima more that Lateralus, is listening to the wrong band. Aenima was amazing, until Lateralus came out, and blew it out of the water. If Lateralus is too cerebral for you, then congratulates; Tool is finally pandering to the juveniles.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  10,000 Days forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2006
Latest post:  May 6, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
10,000 Days
10,000 Days by Tool (Audio CD - 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars (1,167)