Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-40 of 40 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 9:43:18 AM PDT
Alonso says:
no way dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 10:05:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2006 10:23:38 AM PDT
Seattleboy says:
I have to agree with "Concerned." Lateralus is progressive, but this album, if it is in fact the real deal, is not. To me it sounds more like a band who ran out of gas. I don't think it would have been so dissapointing if Lateralus had come out 2 years ago, but a 5 year wait is a long, long time in between albums. How great would that be though if on May 2nd we all found out that this was in fact a hoax and that the new album is completely different and awesome? Do I think that is likely to happen? No, I don't. It seems more like something born from the "too good to be true" tree, but if any band were to pull of such a hoax, it would be Tool. However, when I listen to the chanting on "Lipjan Conjuring," I can't help, but think the hoax theory is a possibility. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 10:40:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2006 10:43:35 AM PDT
W. Looney says:
I can't believe you are coming on here and calling me an idiot after all the respect I have offered everyone on this board with a different opinion. That is idiotic in itself.

Tool is 'prog-metal'; anyone who knows anything about this type of music knows that that is heavy rock with tender, soft moments and EXPERIMENTAL music, noises, atmospheres. Broad examples of this would be the new vocal techniques used by Maynard on this album and Adam Jones continual EXPERIMENTATION with the 'talk box,' the 'pipe bomb' and techniques of that nature. Since you are so intelligent when it comes to music, I am very confident that there is no need to explain and/or define any of this any further. Danny Carey will ALWAYS EXPERIMENT with percussion, espescially the Eastern sounds he has virtually mastered since he brought them to Tool. Incorporation of instruments, tunings, rythms or scales from non-Western musical traditions has always been a huge part of what Tool is all about, as well as something that is commonly refered to as a part of EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC.

Also, to call me an idiot, referencing my supposed comments that Lateralus was not the most experimental, is purely...IDIOTIC! I NEVER said one was more experimental that the other. I would have to agree if someone were to ask me if Lateralus was the most purely experimental album. '10,000 Days' is the continuation of that experiment, bringing in the best technical parts of AEnima (which is ofcourse why anybody with any musical ear and/or talent KNOWS AEnima was Tools best work until now) and fusing it with the experimental nature of Lateralus.

Yes, Lateralus was cerebral in terms of Maynard's lyrics, but there is alot more to music than words. Maynard is a great writer with an amazing voice, but without Adam Jones and co. he really has no way for that 'voice' to be heard. I am just thankful they found eachother to creat such an amazing group.

You try your hardest to act intelligent (inturn showing your pure lack of musical knowledge). Tool as a group would surely be disgusted at a so-called 'fan' like yourself for not appreciating the artistic growth the band has experienced, and they would simply laugh at your inability to recognize the technical perfection that is '10,000 Days.' It is not ofter that every person in one band perfects his/her instument(s). It is even more rare when all members of a band are so in tune with eachother that they can compliment one another PERFECTLY. That is what Tool has evolved to on '10,000 Days.' To disrespect '10,000 Days' by calling it a 'hoax' or a 'sell-out' album is by far the stupidest thing I have encountered in all my 26 years of life, not easy to take that title when our president remains to be bush. Congrats.

In the end, do you honestly think Tool cares about record sales? If you really are a fan, you must be aware that Adam and Maynard don't really care what people (you) think. That is yet another aspect of Tool that makes them so great.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 10:59:25 AM PDT
Schofield12 says:
I agree, but I'm a bit more belligerent about it though. I think it's a

giant step down from Lateralus and they seem like they're trying too

hard to be either innovative or like a modern day Pink Floyd with these

11 minute songs that go no where but lame. These 1 or 3 or sometimes

5 minute "interludes" take up half the album. Usually that's fine

because they always come back after them with something killer but

these endless songs go No Where. SO DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!! The

album sounds incomplete. They're missing their angst! The drumming

is of course flawless and thunderous, but the album sounds like leftover

Lateralus songs that didn't make it to the final cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 10:59:47 AM PDT
Ian Connin says:
lol so are YOU the ultimate fanboy then Looney?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 11:12:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2006 11:19:09 AM PDT
Seattleboy says:
Also, not to throw water on the whole hoax theory, but I'm not sure that is even possible from a legal standpoint. 10,000 Days has been available for pre-sale now for a while. On amazon.com 10,000 Days is currently #1 in sales. People are buying the album as it is advertised. If it turns out to be something completely different, that could open Tool up to being charged with fraud. Of course, if the album is great then I doubt anyone would complain, but still, I'm sure there would be a few out there willing to go that route. I guess the counter-argument would be that those purchasing through pre-sale won't know what the album sounds like until it is released so it's kind of a buy at your own risk type of deal

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 11:43:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2006 11:44:09 AM PDT
Just a thought.......

If a band puts together a fake album, and the fake album is leaked onto the Internet and a fake single is released to radio around the nation, when the actual album is released does all the fake material remain fake? Regardless of what the music sounds like and what people have already heard, reality dictates that there is a new TOOL song playing on radios and that many have downloaded never before heard tracks from the Internet. To me it seems more like if this were all a "hoax," or "fake" music, it would really be a "two-for-one" situation if brand new, unheard music was released on May 2nd.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 11:50:22 AM PDT
M. O'Brien says:
I agree, there could be some legal ramifications, but I think tool could find beauty in that, and laugh at all of us idiots who downloaded the album. Think about it, if this is a hoax, it'd be one of the smartest things a band has done in a long time. everyone who thinks they have a leg up on the band, who thinks that they're ahead of the curve by downloading this music, is made a fool when they go to buy the album.As for the whole "legal beauty" thing, I think they'd be totally fine, anyone who complains about not getting the album they thought they were because they have already obtained it illegally over the internet is pretty much screwed in any court of law, considering that they whole thing would be over, at best, 25 bucks and legal fees.

the idea that this album could be a fake, to be honest, has me very excited. I love what I'm hearing, and I think it shows some great music. Maynard is more direct with his message on these recordings, in my opinion because people aren't getting the point. If this is a fake, that means we have not one, but two new tool albums to digest and mull over. If this is a fake, it's the best one ever.

I'm guessing that people find this album, real or not, a let down because it's more direct, more simplistic. If you stop and think about what has happened to your country (the united states) in the last little while, I can understand why. There is a large lack of caring, and an even larger lack of action in the US. Being the most powerful country in the world, that's a thought that can piss off an artist enough to write a clear (keeping in mind what "clear" is to tool) message hoping to motivate some action.

That's just my two cents, and it's not to be taken too seriously, or seriously at all. I'm hoping against all hope that this is a hoax album, because if it is, it'll make tool one of the greatest bands to date. Simply for making something of this calibur, and having it be nothing more then the fleeting show before the real deal hits.

Cheers all, this music has a message behind it, one that isn't tough to figure out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 1:28:16 PM PDT
James N. says:
The Pot is completely Maynard's voice.
Very easy to tell through the voice fluxuations and just by the way he carries his voice. Nobody sings like that but Maynard himself id say.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 1:31:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 21, 2006 1:32:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 1:32:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2006 1:34:15 PM PDT
this discussion board is a hoax. the album is brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 1:37:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2006 1:54:36 PM PDT
J. McCormick says:
O'Brien, that could be the best explaination as to why this record is so damned bland. .. and for everyone claiming this is Tool's best work, i'm sorry, but you're incredibly mistaken. . .. I've been an avid tool fan since Opiate. For the release of every record, I've been absolutely captivated by each record upon first listen. This is the case with Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus. I did download this record illegally, seeing as how i'm sick of waiting 5 years a piece for new tool records, but I will say this "record" did anything but captivate.

Vicarious is so remarkably rehashed tool riffs that i'm praying this is a fake. During the break around 4:50, everyone start singing the breakdown to schism.. the lyrics are "cold silence has, a tendency to, atrophy any, sense of compassion" . .. . you can sing, in the same key, the exact way those lyrics are sung on schism.. . if that doesn't express the idea that Vicarious, along with many other tracks from this supposedly leaked record, are rehashed, uncreative, nonprogressive garbage, i'm not sure what will....

there are some really good tracks on the record that has been leaked, please don't get me wrong here. Both Wings 1 & 2 are really good pieces and Rosetta Stoned could very well be the best track on the disc. However, that is 3 songs out of 11. That is the worst ratio for any tool album.

I really hope this leak is a fake.. . . I really don't put it past them to do something like this. . . i mean, they've had fake webcasts. .. why not step it up? But, if this is the real record, i'm terribly disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2006 3:24:43 PM PDT
Mallorie G. says:
On March 27, Billboard posted an article about 10,000 days, mentioning that "Vicarious" would be the first single, to be released April 17. Toolband also confirmed that the single would be "Vicarious" and would be heard on the radio on the 17th, however this announcement was posted on April 1. -Wicipedia.com

Its stupid of you guys to keep fighting over a band. They are going to do what they are going to do reguardless of what you guys fight about it's what makes them Tool. Isnt one thing that Maynard always talks about is PEACE LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING? Keep your opinions to yourselves in this case because they are proving to be nothing but dissrespect for both the fans and the band by just talking out your asses about theorys. Wait for the album to be released and then post whatever you want about it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2006 3:26:28 PM PDT
Oh come on dude. You totally started this thread out by calling this a stunt. Now that I actually have it in my grubby paws (listening now) I can truly tell you to cram it up your bung-hole with the neg-attitude. It's a progression, it's TOOL for God's sake!!! I got tix to see them 5/19 in NYC by the grace of all that's wonderful. I can't wait. It's testosterone fuled no doubt. I'm 35 years old man!!! I can use all the edge I can get at this point in life. (humor)...
But as to your response, I'm absolutely calm. Don't stand on your soap box and preach to me about Sigor Ros, Nick Drake, or Porcupine Tree. I know and love them all. You'd most likely be baffled by the sheer breadth of my musical tastes because you seem to be one of those "holier than thou now that I've stopped listening to Slayer" types. Open your mind my friend and stop wasting your time disecting something that is obviously "beyond" you.
Yes, 22 is a trying age to establish your uber cool identity musically, socially, relevantly, etc. Been there, done it. I appreciate your zeal but you'll figure it out by the time you're 35. Everything has something to offer when you look at the big picture.
I can't believe there are over 150 discussion topics on this album. I can hardly believe I'm continuing to respond!!! HAHA! It's all good, I love the CD, I love the art work, I love TOOL (by the way, the band's name is a euphemism for your Johnson, which should explain the testosterone-heavy presentation).
But next (the album's over) I'm going to put on some Damien Rice (cuz I'm kewl like dat)....
Thank you for your input, I believe I can put it to good use....
hehehehe, cvb

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2006 3:47:59 PM PDT
No, I must say that you sir, are an idiot indeed....at 35 years of age I can truly say that your claim that they are pandering to juveniles is ridiculous. It's just music for one, and it's geared towards people that like to take it as a whole, not just in parts, which is painfully rare in music these days. And I still must reiterate that the LIVE experience is what this is all about. CD's are just "tools" to get you to see the show. Go see the show and then tell me how "concerned" you are. I ask you, would you rather SEE Pink Floyd (in their hey day) or listen to their vinyl?
There's an experience involved which you can't imprint on any medium.
cvb
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  10,000 Days forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2006
Latest post:  May 6, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
10,000 Days
10,000 Days by Tool (Audio CD - 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,135)