Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 28, 2012
I am not into this kind of music, until less than a year ago, so any terminology, and lingo or jargon that pertains to this kind of music - I don't know it. I don't need to know it. I just know I like this. I've never like anything "dance" my whole life. I listened to Nine in Nails, but that's about as techno as I go. But I saw Deadmau5 play with Foo Fighters last year, and that got me hooked. I loved this album. I don't think it is as good as Random Album Title, however, it is still quite amazing. I can't stop listening to it on repeat.
The only song I absolutely dislike is Failbait with Cypress Hill. I have never been a fan of them, and I deleted that song from my playlist. My favorite songs on the album are Professional Griefers and fn pig. Both are outstanding songs.
So, I suppose this isn't much of a review as it is just my opinion coming from a guy that would prefer metal over this music, but with that said, deadmau5 has turned me on to a new kind of music. He is the master of this craft. And this cd is a perfect example!
44 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2012
Contrary to popular belief, deadmau5 isn't your average sellout DJ. Yes, he has given permission to use his songs in pop culture (I'm looking at you, Jersey Shore), and the mau5head is a widely recognized symbol nowadays, but that's mainly due to his singles, read Ghosts N Stuff and Raise Your Weapon (which I consider great songs).

Despite his breakthrough into mainstream acceptance, I can hardly call most of his songs "mainstream", by no means. If we just go back to his last albums (i.e. 4x4=12, which is my favorite album), you see that there are songs as Cthulhu Sleeps, which at 11:00 and using a repetitive sound progression is prone to annoy the masses, rather than entertain them.

This new album I bought kind of scared. For Lack of a Better Name has both Ghosts and the masterpiece Strobe, but the rest of the songs are subpar. Still, I decided to buy it. What a pleasant surprise.

Superliminal is a heavy track. Fantastic, though a little repetitive.
Channel 42 is a highlight, but with Wolfgang Gartner it was foolish not to expect it, especially after Animal Rights. It's easily one of the best songs in the album, its upbeat and happy and has some nice drops, without being brutal.
The Veldt is fantastic as I already knew thanks to Youtube. Reminisces his slow tunes like the beginnings of Strobe and Raise Your Weapon, but with vocals. The mix is very balanced and the vocals help those not into repetitive riffs.
Fn Pig as also there, a fantastic 8+ minute majestic piece with all the mood changes you could expect from a song. The buildup and the drops are orchestrated fantastically. This is probably the best song in the album.
Professional Griefers, wow. That has some shoes to fill, as the non vocal version was released a bit ago, and it made my car's side mirrors vibrate with the bass. One of my favorite overall mau5ongs, I feared Gerard would destroy it. Quite opposite, I find myself humming the song more and remembering the lyrics. It was a great choice, but I'll always cherish the original better.
Maths was another one released a bit ago. It is very happy as well, bouncy if you will. It's good and catchy.
There Might Be Coffee is fantastic. Great song development and the song is heavy but cheery. Another one of the best songs.
Take Care Of The Proper Paperwork is messy. It makes up for it near the middle, but it's definitely not noteworthy.
Closer is another great one. A slow, dreamy song with a cathcy high pitch riff, like a mix of Faxing Berlin with Slip, its a progressive jewel.
October is a song that builds up through most of its duration and never really explodes, which is kind of sad, but the atmospheric beat is very good.

Unfortunately, only the first 10 songs are good. The last three are very poor, specifically Failbait. I guess you could enjoy Miscommunications, but I certainly didn't.

Long Story Short:

If you like deadmau5' work as full albums, this is definitely for you. The production is masterful and it's certainly the modern Joel you'll be listening to, no surprises there. If you just know a couple of songs, maybe use youtube to find out how his non singles sound like. If you enjoy songs like Faxing Berlin, Cthulhu Sleeps, Aural Psynapse and HR 8938 Cephei, you might consider buying this album.
44 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
Holistic Overview:

After spinning the CD >album title goes here<, I noticed it has the distinguishable "Deadmau5" sound throughout the first portion, but the execution is definitely different from his previous work for better or for worse. Overall, it is a very distinct album by him but is definitely not what comes to mind when fans think of Deadmau5. Fans may bicker about how good (or bad) this album may be, but it is worth a listen. There will be parts or songs that everyone is sure to enjoy but equally as much, there will others where everyone will not. I give 4 stars instead of 5 because I know there are other albums of his that rank better but it is not simply a 3 star because it still has many redeeming qualities. New listeners to Deadmau5 should be advised to pick up one of his other albums before giving this one a listen but I encourage fans to give this album a few spins before jumping to any conclusions.

Detailed Overview:

Transitions:
The most noticeable aspect of the whole album which may bother some electronic enthusiasts is the lack of transitions between each song. Personally, one of the best parts about electronic music are the seamless and elegant transitions between songs, none of which this album has to offer- each song is stand alone. However this does not mean that the order does not matter; similar songs are set back to back against one another and complement each other well.

Buildups:
For the majority of the songs, the beginning of each has a fairly slow buildup and depending on the song, either has a rewarding or disappointing drop. Comparatively to his previous albums, this one is a bit slow and is not meant for the impatient but given the time, I think the buildups are a distinct part of this album.

Split in the album-

Part 1:
This half and then some of the album is what you might typically expect to hear when someone mentions Deadmau5 and mimics a bit of 4x4=12. Closer and October are extremely similar to Strobe so anybody who enjoys the latter should definitely give the former two a listen.

Part 2:
However, during the song Sleepless, the whole album takes a fairly drastic (and non-Deadmau5) turn. The return of the voice from "Some times things get complicated" or the Stephan Hawking voice, comes up in Sleepless. The song in particular sounds nothing like Deadmau5 and instead would be expected in the lounge of a hotel or even the background of the menu to a video game. The next two songs are equally as eccentric. I'm no expert in hip hop but Failbait featuring Cypress Hill sounds as if it came straight out of one of his own albums with very few elements of Deadmau5 to accompany it. Similarly, Telemiscommunication featuring Imogen Heap sounds as if the track came off one of her own albums as well. More or less while the album still has that distinguishable Deadmau5 sound, this last portion sounds little to nothing like him.
on September 26, 2012
ATGH has a completely different feel from any of his previous three efforts. Personally I prefer the electro/house style he delivered on Random Album Title and For lack of... to the more varied styles and collaborations on 4x4=12. I like the structure and flow his music once had. Flow is something sorely missed on Album Title goes here. Each song for the most part stands on its own with little or no transition to the next. He makes an obvious case to evolve his sound with this record but i still prefer tracks like "Closer" which reminds me of earlier work. A few more stand out tracks in my mind but unfortunately I found myself skipping or getting bored with 1 too many.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 1, 2012
I enjoy mau5music very much and one of the things I like is Joel Zimmerman's sense of humor. Take the whimsical album titles, for example. This time it's "> album title goes here <." Amusing. Or, what about the music itself? Try listening carefully to "Sometimes Things Get, Whatever" on the "Random Album Title" CD and see if you can avoid breaking into a smile or, perhaps, even an outright laugh. Also, I subscribe to the deadmau5 page on Facebook. It's hard to keep up with the goings on of deadmau5 and Meowingtons. The guy must really be wired to turn out all this stuff and maintain his concert, writing and recording schedule. Really wired! Well, take a look at the song titles on "> album title goes here <." How about "There might be coffee?" Oh yeah, it fits! Lots of coffee. Then, a couple tracks later there's "Sleepless." Joel, take care, and my condolences on "Take care of the proper paperwork."

"> album title goes here <" starts out with a no-frills primer ("Superliminal") on deadmau5 music. It's interesting, informative and sets the tone for the 11 tracks that follow. "Channel 42" (2nd track) elaborates and is much more interesting and makes for fun listening. Now, in my opinion, "Fn Fig" (4th track) should have followed as it makes an excellent extension of the previous two (as listed above) and is one of the better songs on the album.

With "The Veldt" deadmau5 presents the first of four guests. Chris James has a pleasant voice and the track has an excellent background, but it's intrusive and seems out of place. the same could be said for "Professional Griefers" with Gerard Way and for "Telemiscommunications" with Imogene Heap. They just don't fit. Then there's "Failbait" featuring Cypress Hill. This track boldly stands out as not belonging on the album. It's not a bad song and is interesting that deadmau5 can present it, but it ruins the continuity of an otherwise fine album. All in all, I'd say that all of the guest spots detract from the main deadmau5 offerings and the album would be better without them.

In general, all the tracks are rather good. I'd say that "The Veldt" and "Take Care of the proper paperwork" are the weakest. In my opinion,"There Might Be Coffee" is the best track by a slight margin. It's elaborate, complex, has good melody and is almost symphonic. Nice job! The album is quite good and ranks with "Random Album Title" and "For lack of a Better Name" as one of the best deadmau5 albums.

Gary Peterson
on June 24, 2013
The last time I listened to house was back in Brooklyn Bounce times and The Second Attack, and thought it was a music for younger ppl.

But I found this one to be a great album. It's a very mature house music, unlike the most you find at clubs.

What one reviewer said here - "Unfortunately, only the first 10 songs are good." - really made me laugh. I personally don't remember the last time I loved all tracks on an album, and the last three tracks are just different and not bad at all, chilling you out kind of :)
on October 20, 2012
The majority of the tunes on ATGH will probably sound familiar if you've listened to Deadmau5' earlier works --- this latest album seems more a rehash of old ideas than the smashing originality evident in his prior albums. Most of the tracks are masterfully produced, but in some (The Veldt, Professional Griefers) they seem almost over-produced. For instance, the video version of The Veldt ran at approximately 3 minutes and seemed full and complete at that length, but the album version is closer to 9 minutes and it feels drawn out and overly long. I find myself wanting to skip to the next track about halfway through the song, whereas I can listen to the video version back to back and be hungry to hear it again. On Professional Griefers I loved its richness and depth as an instrumental, but loathe it with Way's overwhelming vocal track. I wish that the album had at least contained both the vocal and instrumental versions so I could skip the vocal and jam the instrumental. Sometimes more just for the sake of more equals less. It's still a fine album, just not as great as I'd anticipated. Meow. <3

*** Edit: Had to bump this to 5 stars after a couple more play-throughs. My problem with The Veldt is my problem ... listening to it with fresh ears I realize that it has grown, and that I was only tied to the version I by now know by heart. There IS more here, and I'm hearing it. Greatness.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2013
I didn't care for 4x4=12: there were just too many passages that droned on too long, and so the album quickly lost its charm. ">album title goes here<" is a much better release, and I enjoy it a lot. We have some guests like Wolfgang Gartner on "Channel 42", but most notable names here are Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) on "Professional Griefers" and Cypress Hill on "Failbait" (on which Deadmau5 takes a back seat and they dominate). "Channel 42" and "Fn Pig" represent everything I wanted to see in 4x4=12: a compelling electronic beat and the knowledge of just how long to spin it before changing it up. "The Veldt" runs over 8 minutes and you barely notice--it has a tinge of retro synth sound with breathy vocals by Chris James. I also love how "Closer" opens with a re-do of the alien synth theme from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and bubbles its way into a tune reminiscent of Daft Punk's recent scoring of Tron: Legacy.

If you like modern-day electronic music with a bit of pop and the occasional retro nod, ">album title goes here<"" is a good investment. It has both more style and more substance.
on January 10, 2014
Pros:
What I expected from a Deadmau5 album.
Great Price

Cons:
Not sure if I should attribute this fault to Amazon or Deadmau5, but the album name itself can cause many headaches!

With some quick searches I've found people complain about being able to sync this album, delete the folder, copy the folder.

I personally found the issue when attempting to copy my folder. The > and < get replaced with special characters that Windows (and other OS) just really don't like. You cannot simply rename the album folder or delete it.

The fix is to copy out the MP3's from the folder. Delete the artist folder (since you can't delete the album) then recreate a folder for it with a better name.

Just a pain really - Come on Amazon do this for me! I work in IT so I could figure this out, but think about the non-technical person. They'd be stuck!
on February 5, 2014
LOL!

Love this album..
Really driving, energetic, dance-able, catchy, incredibly engaging music!
I have all the Deadmau5 albums.. they sound great on vynil, as we all know, but surprisingly enough, the CD is very well recorded and dynamic..

I use A Peachtree 125 with the ess sabre dac, Tessla 4 speaker cables and all synergystic interconnects. I have the REL R218 sub' and a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s.
I ripped the FLAC file and play it with Jriver from my PC via the USB input on the Peachtree.

it sounds great! Really well recorded and detailed for this genre. 10/10!