Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
asked by MEJazz on January 8, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
Zach S. answered on January 24, 2012
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Most people have crop-sensor cameras not FF so lets say in the context of crop-sensor. Yes 60mm is slow at f/2.8 and yes background separation is not as good as even 50 1.8; but it does doubles as a Macro lens and is very sharp. I used 60mm with bounced speedlite indoors and results are spectacular for portraits - head shots. I now have 30mm 1.4, 60m 2.8, 85mm 1.8 as my primes. Just debating if that long end (85mm) is really needed with these others. I do feel 50 1.4 or even 1.8 will be better as a portrait lens instead of 60mm but i just love its sharpness.
MEJazz answered on January 24, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
MEJazz: It's not completely necessary, but for someone whose bread and butter is studio headshots, it's probably a good idea.. Of course whether someone should have one is a question of style and whether the cost justifies it. The way I think about this sort of question is does it, in a purely mathematical sense, give me anything extra, and how long will it take for that investment to pay off. I think for you, you may not need the 85 (although I love the Canon 85 f/1.8 it's got such beautiful bokeh and is very sharp).
Zach S. answered on January 25, 2012

A
MEJazz answered on January 25, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product