another $60 PC game....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2010 1:01:06 PM PST
Sun Xi says:
I doubt I am going to pre-order it

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 3:14:17 PM PST
Kim H. Chen says:
Hopefully like Mass Effect 2 there will be a $20 gift card. Even if it was $60, i will still get this game.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 6:09:59 AM PST
And I'll be pre-ordering the colletor's edition. Only this and the fallout series are just that good of games for me. Others may feel different but you are welcome to your own opinion.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 10:23:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2010 10:24:47 AM PST
Yeah, this is heartbreaking. Console games are supposed to be $10 more because the consoles were subsidized to begin with. This price on PC, it's a rip off. If I didn't have my ME2 saved game on the PC I'd seriously consider getting ME3 for the PS3. Along with the complexity and cost of PC gaming this new pricing scheme is going to transition all but die-hard enthusiasts to console gaming. I can't even trade in my PC game when I'm done! This is a very bad trend. I'm mad enough that I'll most likely wait until a price drop before purchasing, no matter what pre-order DLC these marketing monsters concoct.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 12:33:24 PM PST
Same discussion is happening over at the Dragon Age 2 product page. One thing I don't understand is that if PC gamers are being charged $60, how come the console gamers are not being charged $70 because of the licensing fees? Inflation is fine, but inflate it for those console gamers as well.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 1:32:10 PM PST
I'm not too happy about the price changes in recent years, but they don't last with PC games. Within a month they are within 40 bucks. Just need a little patience. Platform games take at least 6 mnths to get to 50 and years to get below that. I still love PC gaming and both Dragon Age and Mass Effect have brought good ports to the PC plus the graphics are better, So I'll stick to my trusty PC.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 4:18:19 PM PST
Andrew C. says:
The durability of a pricing point has to do with how well a product sells and what the market will bear (that is, what consumers will tolerate). As of today, Starcraft 2 is still going for $50 (down from $60) here at Amazon after being out for 6 months, but Fallout: New Vegas is going for $30 (down from $50), having only been out 2 months . I haven't played either game, so I can't comment on their relative quality. But prices are usually a reflection of the supply/demand dynamic of the marketplace.

I, too, hate to see this trend toward a $60 price point for PC games, which seems to have been started by Blizzard with Starcraft 2. Actually, I am going to make it a New Year's resolution not to buy any PC game that retails over $50. Even better, I am going to try not to buy any for over $40 again (wish me luck on that one!). I'll just wait for the inevitable price drop, which should be long enough for the typically buggy PC release to get patched up.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 9:35:32 AM PST
M. MacMahon says:
Despite being a PC gamer for 20 years I don't get the problem. The PC versions are generally the best versions, why should they be cheaper? Also games were $50 20 years ago... inflation should have made them like $100 by now, so $60 is a good deal either way.

ME2 was certainly worth $60, so I am sure ME3 will be as well.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 10:02:17 AM PST
^^ I agree 100%.
Guys it's freaking Mass Effect 3. Are you all not excited to see how it all ends? What's Shepard's fate gonna be? I don't care how much it costs, this game will be worth every damn penny I pay for it.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 2:36:35 PM PST
Campy says:
I'm a console gamer (PS3), although I decided to get ME2 on the PC, as I was also getting ME1.

I'm kinda used at paying upwards to $60....I dunno? But I gotta agree...it's kind of surprising how superior PC versions are and then the price point. I played the ME2 demo on PS3, then played it on my PC...and haven't really looked back.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 7:41:43 PM PST
JadedGamer says:
I will wait for Christmas 2011 and buy it during the Steam sale for $10 like I did ME2 a few weeks ago. I'm sure it will be an awesome game, but I can wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 8:08:51 PM PST
Sun Xi says:
you probably have to wait until Christmas 2012, but you know in 2012 reapers will come to bring the world to the end, if you dont buy the game before the year, cmdr shepard wont come to save you :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 8:39:10 PM PST
M. MacMahon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 6:26:30 PM PST
Leah B. says:
everything went up in price. its not just video games. the market simply reflects the falling value of the dollar. that said, this game is totaly worth paying full price for and its already tough to wait a whole damn year for it to come out (what? its the most fun I had playing a video game in over a decade, the suspence about the fate of humanity as well as fate of Shepard and "the gang" is killing me). Bioware put a lot of thought, effort detail, investment into making their games, they deserve the tag (unlike Blizzard in more recent years..which saddens me :( )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 2:58:29 PM PST
Sammy Moore says:
No, not everything went up in price. Console games are still $60.

PC games are less expensive than console games because with console games developers have to pay a licensing fee AND compete with used game sales, neither of which is an issue with PC games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 9:15:31 AM PST
The trend, in my opinion, was caused by CoD rather than SC2. Activision in general has been pushing for the $60 pc price point.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 2:55:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2011 3:47:27 PM PST
Kyle says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 2:59:51 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2011 3:00:19 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 2:59:53 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2011 3:00:27 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 9:14:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2011 9:16:52 AM PST
Shanghaied says:
I'm really disappointed with EA for doing this. ME3 is one of my top games for 2011, and this price point is making me reconsider my decision to pre-order when a release date is solidified.

I'm most certainly with Andrew C. on this however; it really comes down to what the market will bear. $60 titles on the PC usually last around 30 days, sometimes even less. The fact that publishers cannot stick this price point to the market for any amount of time seems indicative that they are missing sales by overpricing these games.

It also seems to point at the fact that collectors editions of previous installments in these franchises sold well. ME2 and DA:O's collectors editions for PC, correct me if I'm wrong, were $59.99 (at least the digital version I purchased on Steam were). It almost seems like EA went on a fishing expedition with the CE's to see if they would sell at that price, and now that they've confirmed this, across the board price increases are happening. Worse, it doesn't look like they'll be including CE content in standard releases, which means you're getting slightly less value for your dollar.

I now feel relatively guilty for buying CE editions. Feels like I've helped justify this behavior.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 11:58:24 AM PST
Yeah, it sucks that EA is going $60 for most of their new release PC games. But I'd buy any Bioware game, Day 1. I don't feel bad dropping $60 on a Bioware game, especially Mass Effect 3, and especially a game that I'll probably put close to 30 hours into.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 5:23:07 PM PST
Alex Chang says:
Andrew C said it best. It's all about the business supply and demand. Like it or not, businesses exist for one reason, to make a profit. The higher they can charge a consumer for a product, the more money they make. It's all a matter of how much consumers are willing to pay before they decide that the price is too high. With games like SC2 setting the new price point at $60 and still selling out, many other developers are taking suit with their high profile release games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2011 5:27:02 PM PST
Alex Chang says:
HAHAHA! That sir, made my day! Well that and the fact that your user name is "Sun Xi"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 1:21:04 PM PST
Raedwulf says:
Agreed. $60 is less in real dollars than the cost of games 10 years ago. Much less the few games one could buy when I had my first computer (Apple II+) 30 years ago. And they're so much better - at least the good ones like ME and DA and Fallout.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 3:54:47 PM PST
Lupin says:
I remember back when PC games came in huge, sturdy, two piece boxes with a lengthy printed manual with all kinds of back info and lore. The game companies then came out and said that the reason games were $50 is because of the big packaging and those printed manuals, so they started releasing them in the smaller flimsy boxes, putting the discs in paper sleeves instead of a jewel case, and the only printed material you got with them was a registration card. Through all that, the price has stayed at $50. These days, they're starting to charge $60 for games that come in a dvd case, often no printed manual, limited installations from draconian DRM, and the total playtime of the games is maybe 6 to 8 hours.

The Mass Effect series is worth it though... 60 hours for a complete playthrough and you can still go back and do it again a couple more times, getting all sorts of new dialog and outcomes. It's a great thing to be able to replay a game and experience something new each time. While I'd be willing to drop $60 on this game, I definitely wouldn't do so for other $60 games like Call of Duty where you're done playing it, and have seen it all, on the same day that you installed it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mass Effect 3 - PC forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mass Effect 3 - PC
Mass Effect 3 - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.9 out of 5 stars   (626)