Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Iron Maiden: Live After Death forum

another fake widescreen release?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2008 9:51:05 PM PST
from the preview video it looks like this dvd will be another fake widescreen? does anybody can offer confirmation about this? please companies stop this madness!!! :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 5:59:17 AM PST
Salo says:
Sure looks like it, lots of heads being chopped off.

I can't believe they would do something that stupid and awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 6:15:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2008 6:16:24 PM PST
J. Sellner says:
i just got it now!! i haven't put it in yet but the box says disc 1(which is the concert) is in 4:3(fullscreen) ratio and disc 2(the documentary and extras) is 16:9(widescreen). hope this helps. gonna go watch it now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 7:25:14 PM PST
that's very good news indeed. mine should arrive soon. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 3:21:51 PM PST
Not if they cropped the vintage stuff on disc 2 to 16:9. Can anyone confirm the aspect ratio?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 6:09:53 AM PST
V. Clore says:
I just bought the DVD yesterday. Unfortunately, the main concert is in 4:3. Personally, I think they could have done a better job cleaning up the picture. It's not bad, it's just "ok". The DVD menus are look great. 3-D animations of the cover with a graveyard theme. Very well done. I haven't checked out the "bonus" features yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 10:21:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2008 10:22:52 AM PST
G. Young says:
I had a feeling the DVD would be like this; you're right, it is "just ok" - I cannot believe Iron Maiden would release such a classic in this state, they could easily afford a complete digital clean up. This just looks like a good quality video, it really is a major disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 10:44:47 AM PST
madhatter says:
I just got mine in the mail and the security bar device that they put in the dvd case is actually affixed to the bottom of disc 1. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer to watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 1:01:19 PM PST
"Behind the Iron Curtain", at least, is in 4:3, how God intended. Haven't watched the other extras yet, but I'd assume they're done right as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 1:58:48 PM PST
All concert material is in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't know what the deal was with all the cropped letterbox previews floating around the net, but at least they didn't chop up the vintage live material on the DVD. The documentary is in 16:9 format.

However, I am also disappointed in the picture quality of the main Live After Death feature. Much was made of the "shot on 35mm film", making it seem like the source material was in good shape, or had been cleaned up. That is not the case. The picture quality is crap, total utter crap. The sound quality is awesome though, I was pleasantly surprised there.

Sound quality of the disc 2 extras (like Rock in Rio 85) is terrible, I can't imagine anyone watching/listening to that and actually enjoying it. Must have been included only for historical/archival reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 11:48:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2008 11:49:24 AM PST
MICHAEL says:
Today I got mine in the mail and the security bar device that they put in the DVD case is actually affixed to the bottom of my Disc 2.What is wrong with these Record Companies did they even think about the glue factor involved!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 9:25:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2008 9:33:31 AM PST
dj says:
Yes, the picture quality is lacking somewhat. However, it's important to remember that Maiden is essentially a live band, and that the "Somewhere Back in Time" tour will most likely be released on DVD and CD after all is said and done, which will be cool. Plus, the 5.1 surround gleaned from the concert won't be "ported 5.1" like the "Live After Death" DVD, but will be actually recorded that way. The only drawbacks to this that I can see are:

1. The presence of Jannick, who is the least capable of the three guitarists, IMO, and

2. The crappy video editing we experienced on the "Rock in Rio" DVD. I felt like I was under a strobe light the whole time. Hopefully the video editing for "Somewhere Back in Time" will be more traditional than their latest release. I suspect the new tour will probably be filmed in 16x9, perhaps even in HD (a boy can dream, right?).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 3, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Iron Maiden:Live After Death [VHS]
Iron Maiden:Live After Death [VHS] by Iron Maiden (VHS Tape - 2002)
4.7 out of 5 stars (25)