Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Book of Eli [Blu-ray] forum

Plz answer 1 query, and I'll like the film

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2010 2:22:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2010 3:09:48 PM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
Okay, I wanted to like this movie but I could not, due in no small part to all the plot holes. But if someone can just answer this question I will change my mind.

How did "you know who" get out of the locked and guarded room? "He had super powers" is not an acceptable answer.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 2:23:40 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
x

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 3:08:41 PM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 2:52:24 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 12:16:20 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
You are about to enter SPOILER territory. You have been warned.

Hey bz, the "blind" factor was the least of the problems I had with the film. I justified it this way. There is a big difference between totally blind and legaly blind. I decided that Eli was not totally blind, but enough so that he required brail in order to read. He could see enough to fight, even if he just saw outlines and shapes of his opponents.

Fairy tale? Could be, but even fairy tales have rules about the world that the follow. I don't mind when stories break the laws of physics and create their own rules, but they then have to follow those rules throughout. When stories break the laws of common sense, I have a problem.

I found this film to be so haunting, I loved the mood and the setting that it created, but I can't get over the common sense factor. I wish a little more thought went into the simple details. Why lock him up in a room, only to let him get out without showing us how he did it, when escape seems preposterous?

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 12:21:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2010 12:22:44 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
Every year in the US, someone, whether for fun, charity, or political protest, walks across this country, and it does NOT take them 30 years to do it! Heck, even early pioneers with kids and wives in tow did the same, and they didn't have nice paved superhighways to follow along.

Why did it take so long for Eli to do the same. Oh no, don't tell me, he only had one leg! Yikes, what a clever twist. Hop hop hop.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 9:30:28 PM PDT
Leon Evelake says:
well as stated he was blind during that 3o year trip, and who knows what the terrain of the us is like at that time maybe he had to go around different obstacles and territories.

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 1:46:18 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
Hey Leon, it is never stated that Eli is blind. It is most probable that he was only visually impaired. As we saw, Eli let nothing stand in his way during his quest, be it bandits, cannibals, evil henchmen, etc. Even with those he managed to make excellent time. It is doubtful he let any obstacles, like difficult terrain, slow him down. It would not have taken him 30 years.

Heck, he even took a bullet to the gut at point blank range, and kept on a-walking!

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 8:02:31 AM PDT
Continuing along in Spoiler Land:

Though I agree with the KFC wipe bit, you all do understand that even from the title of the movie, this is intended to echo the stories in the Bible, correct? The title refers both to the physical book that Eli carries, as well as the story as though it were written in the Bible; the "Book of Eli", just like the Book of Job, for instance.

The fact that he escaped from prison by some unknown means came across as a reference to Peter's escape from prison in Acts 12.

The trip certainly could have taken 30 years depending on other obstacles, but more likely this is an additional reference to the Bible, where the modern Moses wanders in the desert for 30, rather than 40, years. In fact, Eli's death at the end is similar to Moses being denied entry to the land of milk and honey.

The fact that he is blind is another Bible reference in a way, as throughout the Bible, God uses those who seem least suited for the task again and again.

It really doesn't require much suspension of disbelief here. If you believe in the Bible, it makes perfect sense. If you don't, then just understand that this is a movie intended as a visual "retelling" of an event as they were written in the Bible, complete with the magical super powers and unexplained situations. When you put the movie in that context, it's easy to make sense of.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 11:58:28 PM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
Thanks for the input T.S., I found it enlightening. However the Moses wandering in the desert thing, doesn't fit for me. The key reason being "wandering". Eli was not wandering the U.S. He was on a definite goal, heading west and only west. I could have found it believable for his journey to have taken 30 years if he had stated that he was wandering on a quest to find a home for his Bible, but he knew where he was going.

Assume his trek was about 3,000 miles. At 30 years that would mean he only progressed 100 miles per year, or 1/3 miles a day. What did he do? Hike for a day, take a week off, hike another day, take two weeks off? Seems unlikely since he was so focused on acheiving his goal.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 3:12:22 PM PDT
That's true, but I made the assumption that he didn't know exactly where he was going. He mentions to Carnegie that he always knew he would find a place where the book belonged; that would indicate to me that although he knew there was a destination in mind, he didn't necessarily know where that destination lay.

It may also have been only recently revealed to him that he was to go West, so who knows how long he spent wandering along the eastern seaboard and even into Canada before he was given a more direct path to follow.

I do wonder about the inclusion of a Nuclear Power Plant cooling tower, however. In this alternate timeline, they must have been building them left and right to put one within a gastank's worth of fuel of San Francisco... unless there were convienient gas stations along the way.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 11:33:13 AM PDT
K. Crawford says:
Eli said in the movie that he didn't know where he was going. He only knew a direction, and that he would travel the path provided for him. and T.S. i agree with pretty much everything you have said about the movie/bible connections. Great assessment of it.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 12:38:36 AM PDT
Daniel Minto says:
The whole movie is very, very simplistic. In the film's reality, the Christian god exists and is helping Eli the entire time. Giving sight to the blind, guidance through faith, invulnerability, etc. He got out of the room by miracle. It's as simple as that. The same way Peter did from prison; the same was Jesus did from the cave. Has anyone even noticed the blatant references to Jesus Christ as the lord? Such as this one: http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8949/picture1e.png (14:6) Look it up.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 1:19:02 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
Okay, I can accept what everyone seems to be saying, that Eli's actions were explainable by "miracles". But what still bugs me are the violations of commom sense and inattention to detail the filmakers were responsible for.

Like, when humanity was busy destroying every single copy of the Bible, why did they also destroy every funnel and the technology for creating said funnels?

When everyone lines up for their meager ration of precious water, they place their containers under the pump, allowing the valuable water to splash all over the place wasting more than they received. What rot!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2010 10:21:02 AM PDT
The same way God got the three Hebrews out of the fire and Daniel out of the Lion's den.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 11:15:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2010 11:16:09 AM PDT
Rob says:

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 10:01:09 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
^^^^ Ha! Deus Ex Machina to the max! At least the ancient Greeks had the sense to use it only once per story, not like this film, over and over and over and over......

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 2:33:06 PM PDT
Leon Evelake says:
Its odd how critical people are being over such a small issue, if it were James Bond or Batman who got out without explanation people would not question it because they would just make assumptions as to how because the have preconceived ideas of what they are capable of.

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 7:19:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2010 10:52:36 AM PDT
Rob says:
Not a Bond or Batman fan Leon. I like quality storytelling regardless of genre. This movie did not have it. It appealed to the American stereotype: Women/Guns/Jesus and stopped there. It should have been deep and meaningful but Eli was too busy going all stabby on dumb people.

J.E. is correct. The Greeks at least knew how to use the Deus Ex Machina :)

Edit: Even MacGyver showed us how he got out. I'm willing to accept bubblegum and fishing line as a plausible answer.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 12:27:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2010 12:29:38 AM PDT
John Doe says:
not sure how he got out of the room, but I didn't feel it was that important to the movie, where I needed to stop and ask questions afterward. I will say this though, if a man is truly led by God, which it certainly appears Eli was in this film, nothing can hold him or kill him. That same man would also be able to read braille or any other language for that matter and not necessarily be blind. All things are possible.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 12:42:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2010 12:47:26 AM PDT
John Doe says:
to those who are also questioning how long he was walking and that it doesnt add up w/ said years, all i can say is that you're probably just over analyzing it too much. We dont know his starting point and the exact track he took. How well would you keep dates in such conditions? I think the point is to show he's been on a very long, hard, and challenging journey across a very beat up territory. Pick the movie to pieces if you wish.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 12:07:19 PM PDT
Rob says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 5:44:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2010 6:23:44 PM PDT
You know Rob, I can tell from your tone that you probably hate a lot of things.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 7:37:56 AM PDT
Rob says:
No hate Peaches, just a disdain for escapist fiction with faux depth.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 7:30:36 PM PST
VICE says:
As you may recall Eli was guided by the voice and will of GOD. He said numerous times that HE READ THE BIBLE EVERY DAY WITHOUT FAIL! 30 years of travel... Well God knew that was how long it would take Eli to memorize the Bible WORD for WORD. And it is obvious that the guard at the door fell asleep, thus allowing Eli to escape undetected since the door was NOT LOCKED, just guarded.

This was a beautiful story that needed to be told (THANK YOU Denzel for bringing this to the big screen). Witness the decayed state of man without God, it shows that man is nothing more than another animal on earth without God. As for the Naysayers... If you don't like the story, well go find one that you do like, it's Amazon.com after all!

I just wonder what passage Solara's mother Claudia touched in the braille Bible when Carnegie asked her to read it, now that would be interesting...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions