Customer Discussions > Wish You Were Here forum

any word about floyd on sacd?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2009 10:31:23 AM PDT
H. Rogers says:
I got DSOTM on SACD and it is great totally revitilized it for me- anybody know if the rest of the catolouge is going to be done on SACD?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 1:08:10 AM PDT
God, don't we ALL wish that! (if you're referring to the surround mix, check out the 3 disc SACD/DVD set of Elton John, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" beginning to end...First track is just incredible.
Well, as far as rock goes, I don't get it. I've seen "Rumors" on DVD-Audio go up to, well, HUNDREDS; and there are lots of other SA-CD's, DVD-Audio's, and even a few dts-CD's that go for hundreds. The Classical and Jazz market just eats 'em up, and it's always been that way.
The industry just gave up, and a lot of musicians did too. Kids stealing MP3's (sound like cassettes), using music as "background noise". Everyone with a PS3 gan get 96/24 resolution (HI-REZ) and 5.1 or 6.1 (if applicable) from all these formats. The new Blu-Ray CD's might give us a chance. BUY THEM; tell your friends that i Pod's have the sound quality of an early seventies adult Beta-Max; and MAKE them hear the sound quality; MAKE them SIT DOWN and listen; get 'em hooked on quality and the added bonus of surround mixes...show them bad ones and good ones; plug their MP3 player into a really great sound system, and make 'em understand that it's destroying it for evreyone; show them that a hybrid DSOTM SACD will play at a higher quality on a regular CD, and if they have an SACD or PS3, it's even better and you have surround. Other than that, just get on here and search for new, hard to find, or EXPENSIVE stuff. And no Virginia, there's not a Santa Clause, and unless this new format gets people fired up, well you can file DVD-A, SACD, & dts-CD's under quadraphonics. And I see kids with one wearing the right ear bud and the other with the left...hopeless man. But your post made me happy

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 5:48:33 PM PDT
Both DSOTM and WYWH are being re-released on Blu-ray audio in 96/24 5.1 surround.

The Dark Side Of The Moon - Immersion Box Set

Wish You Were Here - Immersion Box Set

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 7:35:35 PM PDT
H. Rogers says:
Itd be nice to have some kind of high quality disc actually catch on, I got an SACD-DVD-A player, havent got a bllu ray -yet but if it catchs on for music cds id be for it, thanks for the info.

Posted on May 19, 2011 7:31:14 AM PDT
I too own DVD-A and SACD compatible players. I'd like to see just one physical hi-rez audio format succeed. Maybe this will be it. You can get a Blu-ray player with analog 5.1 outputs for under $150. There are a few Blu-ray Audio discs on the market now, a couple by Tom Petty, Neil Young, and one by Rush, among others.

Damn The Torpedoes [Blu-ray Audio]

Mojo (Blu-ray Audio w/ Bonus Download)

RUSH Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition [CD + Blu-ray]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2011 8:23:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2011 8:36:54 PM PDT
H. Rogers says:
Do I have to make sure it has analog 5.1 outputs or is that pretty much standard? And speaking of great sounding disks the talking heads dualdisks sound great ( which cause me to buy a bunch of other dualdiscs that didnt sound as great) Particularly FEAR Of
Music GREATLY BENIFITS FROM 5.1 TREATMENT espicially the last 2 songs- the old version sounds like a old newspaper photo compared to an HD LED bigscren TV picture, when electric guitair came on I just sbout jump up off the couch, I wasnt even sure it was the same song.
Also do the blue rays sound as good as the SACD formatt??

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 11:26:09 AM PDT
There are two ways to hear high resolution audio out of a Blu-ray player. Out of the 5.1 analog outs, or via the HDMI output. If you've already got a receiver that has HDMI and decoding for Dolby True HD and DTS HD, then the HDMI connection is the way to go. Assuming you don't have a receiver with HDMI, then you need a player with 5.1 outs and not all Blu-ray players do. You receiver needs to have 5.1 inputs however. If you're on a budget, then Panasonic and I think Sony makes a player with 5.1 analog. If money is no object, Oppo makes a fantastic Blu-ray player that is also backwards compatible with DVD-Audio and SACD.

OPPO BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player

Whether Blu-rays sound as good as SACD is a subjective question. I own some SACDs that don't sound any better than a 44.1 CD (Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Norah Jones Come Away With Me). But I can say this, Blu-ray audio discs use lossless audio compression. The Dolby True HD format is actually a re-branded version of MLP, which is used on DVD-Audio. DTS-HD is the DTS version of the same thing so Blu-ray Audio is essentially the same thing as DVD-Audio. Some have 48/24 and others have 96/24 5.1 audio. I listened to both the DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio versions of Rush Moving Pictures and they sound identical to me.

Posted on May 20, 2011 4:42:56 PM PDT
H. Rogers says:
wow- you know your stuff- thanks alot.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 6:06:58 PM PDT
I cut my teeth on DVD-Audio, I worked for a record label that specialized in it. The hi-rez 5.1 audio format is amazing.

Posted on May 20, 2011 7:46:49 PM PDT
H. Rogers says:
right now I got a black and red running from my SACD-DVD-A player to the plug in for the DVD player on my Dennon AVR 983 and it sounds just great- but I bought cables becasue the player has place to plug in for a 5.1 amount of cabels(?) but I didnt see anyplace to plug it into my reciever, so If I took time to actually see if I could use those outputs would it sound even better?? I dont know how the whole thing works since I have 8 speakers hooked up-(its lke a rear + instead of room #2 you can set it on something like extra rear) But there is still a big differance between an average CD and -right now Im listening to Roger Walter Live in the flesh DVD in 5.1 (which raises another question about LMPC- what is it??) and it definatly has speaker seperation that would indicate somekind of .1 seperation., this is blowing me away like a pig on the wing ( as it sounds now) i mean it sounds better then the cds. My teeth got cut when I came to sunny AZ in 77 and I heard 2112 and DSOFM on my brother in laws strero on head phones ( it was a white trash staireo with a lot of some kind of smoke in the air). ERight now Im trying to buy a Harmen KKarbon 1106 ( or something like that) for $120 I guess it was new stuff in 2004- but whatever the year its new to me. I gotta check out here I got Pigs on the wing- wine and weefer and (jets overhead) these nights slide through the cracks>
Late

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 9:01:52 AM PDT
Your Denon receiver has analog 7.1 inputs on the back but it sounds like you're only connected to the front stereo left/right inputs. Take another look, you should also connect to the surround left/right, center and sub inputs. Don't connect to the surround back inputs as that's for a 7.1 setup. It sounds like you're using those extra outputs for another room.

LPCM stands for Linear Pulse Code Modulation, and it's basically the audio format used for CD, and some DVD's use LPCM in stereo because it's uncompressed, unlike Dolby Digital, and can sound better for music applications, like the In The Flesh DVD you mentioned.

Posted on May 21, 2011 5:14:43 PM PDT
H. Rogers says:
thanks- Im going through the whole process of putting in new shelfs for my AV stuff so this is a good time to find that out

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 7:24:04 PM PDT
The albums are starting to come out on SACD.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Pink%20Floyd%20Wish%20You%20Were%20Here%20Remastered/hnum/1157301

I cannot spreken ze the info on that website, but is does say "Super Audio CD" instead of "Blu-Ray."

ps. Rushead, the Norah Jones SACD was made from 44.1/16. I read an article in Stereophile where they ran it through a spectrum analyzer.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 8:02:19 PM PDT
H. Rogers says:
Yea pretty strange that thats the ONLY place that has it, and there really isnt any info on it

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 9:25:52 AM PDT
"ps. Rushead, the Norah Jones SACD was made from 44.1/16. I read an article in Stereophile where they ran it through a spectrum analyzer."

That doesn't surprise me at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 6:28:35 AM PST
A fundamental difference that most people neglect is the stereo mode. This allows much higher fidelity than any of these other examples can produce even in the 5.1 mixes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 6:30:42 AM PST
Wish You Were Here is now available on SACD!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 9:42:26 AM PST
"A fundamental difference that most people neglect is the stereo mode. This allows much higher fidelity than any of these other examples can produce even in the 5.1 mixes."

While that's true with standard DVD players, Blu-ray supports uncompressed PCM up to 192khz/24bit in stereo and 5.1. Standard DVD players use lossy compression for 5.1 (eg. Dolby Digital, DTS) but Blu-ray can do lossless high resolution audio in 5.1 and 7.1 (eg. Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio, PCM 5.1).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 9:42:55 AM PST
Yes, I just got the email that my SACD has shipped!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wish You Were Here forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wish You Were Here
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd (Audio CD - 1987)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,082)