Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > A Scanner Darkly forum

any1 know if there will be......?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2006 9:01:09 PM PST
5m0k3m0n573r says:
Does any1 know if there will be a deluxe edition or directors cut or and unrated extened cut in the future????

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2006 10:19:00 AM PST
carnage says:
i hope so. this edition is bare bones to the maxxx. PLEASE WARNER BROTHERS ON THE (deluxe/collectors/whatever other "cool" name you will use to sell your product) CRAM IT SO FULL OF CONTENT THAT IAM SWIMMING IN IT!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2006 10:17:03 AM PST
Coot says:
But all the reviews before this crap DVD came out gave it a 5. People who rate a DVD based solely on the movie itself should not have kids. This DVD was weak.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2006 11:33:12 AM PST
Wayne Klein says:
Coot, the movie is what matters. The reason the DVD has so few special features is the film didn't do well at the box office. The amount of special features alloted a movie is based on that and the budget they work with.

Remember before DVD they had videos and they NEVER had special features.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2006 1:26:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2006 1:31:28 PM PST
Coot says:
That is not true. What I BUY is what matters. THe movie was a limited release movie and not mainstream of course it didn't have a huge draw at the box office.

Look at the first run of Batman Begins on DVD. Not a single special feature and that movie did extremely well in the box office. 6 months later the special edition came out.

There is only one reason for a crappy DVD and that is the movie company released a crappy DVD. It costs what 3 cents to press a DVD. They released crap because they are going to make a special edition in 6 months and make me spend more money.

And the "remember video" argument is pointless. Remember cassettes? Does that give someone the right to sell me a crappy CD? No. I buy DVDs that I enjoy for the high quality picture and sound and the special features. I rent movies that I am going to watch once and forget about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2006 1:51:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2006 1:51:49 PM PST
Coot says:
The Criterion Collection the best DVD house in the biz has this mission statement, notice the last phrase:

"The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2006 11:08:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2006 11:10:28 AM PST
Wayne Klein says:
Yikes--sounds like you have a real issue with DVDs. Perhaps its related to the double dip, triple dip issues that the industry has made standard. I agree it's annoying but I rate a movie first on if the movie is worthwhile and then rate it based on special features secondarily. Remember no one forced you to buy this. Usually I'll rent a movie like this if the special features are going to be important to see if its they are 1) going to be worthwhile and 2)look around to see if there will be any special editions coming out (usually rumors are out there shortly after they release something such as the "Blade Runner" 4 disc set pending this year). I wasn't trying to tick you off just pointing the obvious.

As to the 3 cent cost--no, there's also the cost of licensing the additional special features, they have to pay residuals to those that produced it, etc. That figures into the bottom line for the studios. Is it justifiable? No, just the way the business is. Do they screw the consumer?

As to "Batman Begins" it was offered in both a single disc edition (with virtually no special features)and also a deluxe two disc edition for those who wanted the special features. This was done because marketing at Warner found that most people just wanted to watch the movie.

For fans who just wanted to watch the movie--they could get that and for people like yourself they created that deluxe two disc edition (which I purchased because I figured it would be worthwhile and also because I thought it would be cool to see the special features). I'm just explaining WHY they do what they do. Does it tick off those who buy DVDs? Sure.

My point about video is that we are spoiled with the advantage of the DVD format. Just because a format has the capacity doesn't always mean it should be used--I've sat through special editions that have had crappy extras that made the price not worth it (particularly if it was a blind buy). So, no, I would disagree that the "remember video" argument is pointless--the point to me is that it should always be about the quality of the movie first (and presentation)but hey, that's what matters to me.

I suppose you and I have very different ideas of what a quality release is. Ultimately the image, sound quality matter to me and I'd rather hear a useful commentary than have useless special features. Now a retrospective documentary on the making of a film (provided its good)makes it worthwhile. I find that a lot of extras are worthless fluff.

I actually liked the extras with "A Scanner Darkly" although they weren't numerous they were valuable and I enjoyed the excerpts of Phil Dick's discussing his work. I would have liked to have the whole unedited interview though.

A good example of a set that could have used extra is the Preston Sturges Collection. Universal released these seminal comedies with only trailers when they could have released (or licensed any number of)documentaries on Struges a giant in 40's screen comedy who died virtually unknown among most modern filmgoers.

You're right--special features are what matter to you. However I suspect if you talk to most folks that buy DVDs while special features are nice (and they are important to reissues otherwise there is no hook and reason to buy them unless the release is improved in terms of picture and sound signficantly). To me, it's liking the movie first (and wanting to watch it again) is my drive to purchase a movie. I agree, if I'm going to watch a movie once then I will rent it.

But you're right about all of that however, nobody is making you buy "A Scanner Darkly". If you're disappointed in the DVD I'm sorry but I felt that the special features were good if not numerous. I don't know about you but I usually will watch the special features one or two times at the most. I will however watch a movie I buy numerous times (and usually I'll listen to the commentary track although i do wish that they had the option of channeling the commentary track in one speaker while the rest of the soundtrack plays in the others).

Criterion Collection has a noble, profitable niche that the major studios sometimes decide to participate in and sometimes no. I suspect that the movie will at some point merit a special edition but with all the bigger releases it probably won't happen immediately.

I suppose I'll just agree to disagree with you. You make some valid points. End of discussion for me.

To your point about people giving this 5 star reviews--hey that's their right just like it's your right to give it a 2 star review. If you look at the dates they were rating the MOVIE they saw not the DVD and none of them discussed special features before the release date.

Amazon's policy to lump in the review of the movie before it has been released on DVD is what creates the problem not the people reviewing them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2007 4:25:02 PM PDT
Drummer Boy says:
^ "If you talk to most folks that buy DVDs [ they will say that] while special features are nice, it's liking the movie first (and wanting to watch it again) that drives [them] to purchase a movie. I agree, if I'm going to watch a movie once then I will rent it."

While your whole post/comment is great, this chunk succinctly gives voice to my agreement with the major theme of said post. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2007 6:28:46 PM PDT
Most often, I buy a film on DVD because of the special features: documentaries, interviews, audio or textual commentaries. Otherwise, I borrow it from the public library or rent. If I can't find it at the library and must see it, I will then buy it even without any bonus features, but I usually grumble about the bare-bones editions. Perhaps I'm in the minority in that regard. But if a film on DVD doesn't give me an enhanced experience, then I typically don't buy it. This edition of A Scanner Darkly is at my library, but if they bring out a special edition, I'll probably get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 10:04:04 AM PST
D. Griffin says:
Coot should save his money and not buy DVd's since he is so distraught, go down to the local pharmacy buy the following: Laxative for being so uptight, kleenex so he can wipe his prolific tears away, and a pacifier so we dont have to hear him complain about things he has no control over. Wayne I regard you very highly for giving him the very long amount of time you did to write such an eloquent post in response to his whining. I found the special features wholly satisfying, although I agree as well, I would have preferred to have heard the whole unedited interview. IT amazes me that people complain about not getting enough of an extra treat. Thats exactly what it is.... extra. Dont become spoiled and assume its your god given right as a consumer to get things all becasue you shell out $20-$25 for a movie. If they do it great. if they dont...... you dont see me calling the WAH-mbulance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2009 8:59:36 PM PST
versionfiv says:
I'm hoping they add the theatrical version to the eventual re-release.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  A Scanner Darkly forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions