Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
asked by Marcial Espinoza on March 11, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
Nope, I'm in same boat as you. I have the 400 and the white hand held and they are about 10% different. I eat pretty well and am in phase 3 of P90X so I'm inclined to believe the hand held which has me in my mid teens is more accurate than the 400 which has me near 28%. It really sucks that it is off that much.
J. Brown answered on June 28, 2010
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I think for the HBF-400 the body fat percentage just scales with your weight according to your gender, age, and height. I don't think it actually tests body fat.

What is this other scale brand that got it so accurate though, may I ask?
Peter C. answered on January 8, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Matt answered on February 9, 2011
Comment | 3 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
sara may answered on February 25, 2011
Comment (1) | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've used mine, as well as the same one owned by a friend and I always have this issue as well. Even when I'm down to my lowest weight and have a six-pack and veins popping out on my arms, and legs with a BMI right in the middle of normal range, and after a trainer used calipers and measured me at 6-7% the body fat percentage on this scale has never dipped below 20 percent. At a heavier point (winter weight haha) I've switched immediately from a handheld that measured 11% to this one which gave >23%. Makes no sense.
J. Clarke answered on February 19, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I read that the method these scales use to measure % body fat (bioelectrical impedance analysis) is highly inaccurate. The best you can hope for is spotting trends over time (i.e. does % body fat decrease over a longer time period). The fact that you have to give the machine all kinds of parameters (height, age, fitness level etc) clearly shows that the machine is not measuring your body fat, but is using a mathematical algorithm to come up with an educated 'guess' what your % body fat might be.
M answered on March 2, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
With BIA it only factors in the mass that is being measured. So, if you have a handheld, it will measure the upper body and torso but a staring scale will measure from leg-to-leg. So depending where you hold your fat, it can be significantly different between hand held and leg-to-leg readings. A con of BIA.
I hope this helps.
amazonaholic answered on August 30, 2014
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product