Customer Discussions > Far Cry 2 - PC forum

Is anyone else annoyed with how people rate pc games on amazon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2008 1:48:55 AM PST
Yea, it's annoying...I know people complain about the securom and stuff but seriously, people who don't know anything about games thinks these are horrible games and now they will never experience them

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 8:03:29 AM PST
I understand their frustration with illegal software elements such as DRM and Securom which are perfectly valid reasons for not wanting to buy the product, however, when it comes to PC games there should be two separate rating elements, one for the software quality/installation and one for the actual gaming content, that way people have a better idea of whether or not they want to buy the game and if braving said software problems are enough of a hindrance for their potential game enjoyment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 2:12:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2008 2:12:55 PM PST
J. Schwarz says:
From what the gamers are saying, aside from DRM these games suck. Really you think Spore, Mass Effect, Far Cry 2 are good games? They are obviously games that were too dumbed down for serious gamers to play. If they made a quality game without the DRM most gamers would buy them, but until then many gamers will pass. EA and these other companies deserve what they get. They tried to screw the gamers and have no one to blame but themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 6:55:53 PM PST
I really enjoyed mass effect and I am currently enjoying far cry 2. Spore was horrible though, I'll give you that

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2008 1:58:01 AM PST
Schwarz, I think the spirit of what he meant is that now Amazon has let the game reviews section basically become chaos. While Amazon allows protesting via 1 star votes from people who have no intention of playing the game, you pretty much have to go else if you want to read honest game reviews. And since Amazon has typically had a reputation for being a great place for reviews, it is sad to see Amazon let the PC Games review section become a DRM protest section.

But indeed, true hard core gamers are still going to install big releases like Far Cry 2. Of course, as it is now, you have to read thru a bunch of anti-DRM protests to find out about the true gameplay reviews. I personally, give Far Cry 2 about a 85 out of 100. I kinda now wish I had waited to buy it but it was too hard to find any other perspectives other than IGN and the like.

Which is why I think Amazon should restrict game reviews to mostly about gameplay, and just some sort of flag for saying whether or not you were personally affected (negative or positive) by any ancillary DRM.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2008 8:45:01 AM PST
J. Schwarz says:
Chapman if you bothered to read the reviews about Far Cry 2 from gamers that played it, aside from the DRM the game sux. All you have to do is read the reviews and learn something.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2008 9:03:53 AM PST
Schwarz, if YOU bothered to read the reviews you would realize 90% of the reviews are from people who haven't even played the game! Come on man, pay attention to the topic!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 9:19:30 AM PST
J. Schwarz says:
Wrong Chapman, most of the negative reviews are from gamers that played this crapola game. How about reading the reviews for a change.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 3:07:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 31, 2009 10:28:49 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 10:14:15 PM PST
FarCry 2 didn't get FPS of the year in PC Lamer Magazine for nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2009 10:35:04 AM PST
I was thinking cash was exchanged for that award, because FarCry2 sucked. STALKER is a much much better game, but PCGamer apparently was also paid to ignore it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 3:27:21 AM PST
PC Gamer Magazine has been accused of such antics before; they vehemently deny it. Come to think of it, as a long time subscriber I have seen major publishers write open letters to the editor asking why they got such a negative review on their A-list game. (I suppose you could infer these letters are created by in-house staffers.)

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 6:25:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2009 6:28:13 PM PST
defilm says:
Giving any game with DRM a single star is our right. The rating system is about the product. With DRM in place the product is not usable for me
hence like any other product that is not useable for me, I will give it 1 star, zero if I could. (BTW, I did go out and buy Facry 2 because it was
supposed to be such an excellent game. Those that rated the game and said it was poor in general, especially when compared to the original
were also right IMHO. So because of the DRM I give 1 star. For game quality it would have gotten one half to 1 additional.

I have spent a lot of money over the past 10 years at Amazon, and I count on peoples reviews
as much as I suspect other customers do. We have been through DRM and the issues. Many
people who would buy the game are registering their complaint by saying the game is not
usable to them. Those who don't pay for it, steal, pirate, already have the game, never intended
on paying for it, and DRM didn't stop them as there was a cracked farcry2.exe out there 2 days
after the game came out.

If the argument is that "They must do something", I agree, but their current path is the wrong
path. The fact that so many people feel that way and we can rate it accordingly is a message
to EA that they are losing thousands of sales. If they are not smart enough to come up with
something better and stick with DRM, I will continue to rate accordingly and I hope others do
as well. That said, I hope they get the message, because EA has been a great game company
since the Atari Era which was my third home computer. (Atari 800). My first was a IMSAI 8080,
(Yea, like on the movie WARGAMES), and my second was a TRS-80 Model II. So they go way back
and given the longevity of making great games I would say it is reasonable to say they are the
greatest gaming company to exist. It really hurts the loyal people that play by the rules.

As for PCG giving Far Cry the rating they did, I can only say they usually "get it right", and
given the long history I am willing to cut them some slack and presume they can't get all
of them right, and it is rare when they mess up IMHO.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 9:45:19 AM PST
Jerad says:
What annoys me is when people give PC games a low score due to their PC not being able to run it. Most of the time these people either don't have a good enough computer or don't maintain their PC properly.

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 11:00:37 AM PDT
Cam Daabs says:
J. Schwarz, I did enjoy Mass Effect, however for the 360. I see what you are saying, but I also agree with Jerad about people not maintaining their PC or updating it (The usual: I cant get 5 fps out of this piece of s***! ~ a la Crysis, Far Cry 2). I hate DRM just as much as the next man, and I think it should be 'factored' in, but the gameplay is what sets a game apart.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 10:05:47 PM PDT
Burr says:
Yes. Very much. PC gamers have always been some of the most whiney, stubborn and difficult to please people in all of gaming, and this seems to only be getting worse. Aside from piracy, this is probably why many developers focus on console these days. Regardless, I never listen to anything the reviews say here because they are usually biased, nit-picky and reminiscent of the rantings of a spoiled child who can't have his/her way. It's ok though, they can come here to vent their angst, wasting time posting biased, unfair reviews full of uninformed hearsay with delusions of changing the world, noone takes Amazon PC game reviews seriously anymore anyway, thanks to them. This place has turned into PC gaming's toilet blog (which is probably similar to sites these "reviewers" get most of the information they live by in the first place), and it is a total garbage-fest of perma-adolescent crap.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 12:43:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2011 8:42:45 AM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2009 9:12:02 PM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Pointing out a serious defect, such as DRM, is very valid.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 6:32:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2009 6:37:28 AM PDT
Burr says:
Fine. But do we need 100 reviews saying the same damn thing? It only takes one to learn if it has DRM... it is spam and nothing more. I cannot even find customer comments on gameplay with many games anymore. Look up the new Chronicles of Riddick release. Is all of that necessary? If you have chosen to inform yourself about DRM (which is fine, good for you) then you already know which games have it.

It is a shame that I can't rely on Amazon anymore for reviews from the average gamer and their impressions. It is a nuisance.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 6:50:28 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
If more people are concerned about DRM than gameplay, expect more reviews about DRM.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 9:36:21 PM PDT
I agree with you 100%. The anti-DRM postings make me think of people going to McDonald's and protesting their food isn't healthy enough. I guess maybe just Amazon should just have a little checkbox for the DRM protestors that says something like "I have never played the game and never intend to; I'm just here to protest DRM". I wish Amazon could be good for reviews again, since some old-faithfuls like Amazon and IGN have turned a bit shabby, eh?

Posted on Jun 1, 2009 9:58:08 AM PDT
Winter says:
The problem is that these are products that for many people either don't work or break their computer in other ways. Or, best case scenario, just spy and report back to the companies that produce the software.

Think about it this way, though: if you have a product of any kind, that looks really neat, but the people who made it keep you from ever properly using it--shouldn't you tell other people that there is a major flaw in the product? DRM makes the transaction like a cheap carnival game that is rigged to prevent anyone from winning the prize.

In regards to people pointing out DRM problems in their reviews, keep this in mind:

These aren't pirates or idiots or ranty lawsuit-happy conspiracy theorists you're seeing here: many of these reviewers are like you and me. They are customers and they spent their money on a product that screwed them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 8:56:47 AM PDT
C. Potgeter says:
I, too was a victim of the hype. I bought the game because I played the original Far Cry.
This game is NOWHERE as good. I get 2 hours into the game, and the fun is gone.
Honestly, I think it's a 1.5 star game, at best, and anyone that gave it more than 3 stars in either on the payroll, or hasn't actually played the game for more than a few hours.
It's playable, but no fun. By the time you learn the controls and get past the tutorial, you realize how 1 dimensional it is.
The last good game EA put out was BF2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2009 6:02:25 AM PDT
captainvideo says:
I would tend to agree that most pc games released since the days of far cry 1 and bf2 are poor by comparison. I think it has a lot to do with designing the game for consoles and porting them back to the pc. That being said, they produce a lot of games each year. When I look to review a piece of media like this (movie/music/game) I think I have to compare it to the recent releases. As far as recent games go, Far Cry2 is better than many of them. If we are rating on a scale of 1 to 5 then, I would say it is 'above average' or 3 or better.
I played the game for a lot more than 2 hours, and I do not work for EA. I also think BF2 is a better 'game', but it is now ancient history, (and BF2 was ruined by rampant cheating).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2009 8:29:54 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
I feel that the quality of games dropped after BF2 too. Big companies will evaluate the minimal amount of quality necessary, leveraged by expensive advertising, to make the largest and fastest mount of cash possible. Who could blame them I suppose when there's a World of people out there eager to part with their cash in a heartbeat. More consumers need to do their research before buying these days, because companies rely heavily on wrapping products up in pretty bows and less on making the product good quality or even in solid working order.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Far Cry 2 - PC forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Far Cry 2 - PC
Far Cry 2 - PC by Ubisoft (Windows Vista / XP)
2.7 out of 5 stars   (378)