Has anyone read books from other authors on this subject that they like better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2008 11:23:18 AM PDT
Tom McGee says:
While Tolle is a pretty good author, I have found numerous others gifted communicators who present much of this material in a more readable and convincing manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 11:38:09 AM PDT
Saboo says:
The Vietnamese Monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, Creating True Peace, or The Heart of Understanding. They are not new books, but well worth reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 1:38:29 PM PDT
Well, yes, there are tons of writers(Adyashanti, Surya Das, Sogyal Rinpoche, B. Allan Wallace, Peter Fenner, Jack Kornfield, Joseph Goldstein, etc., etc.)but I don't subscribe to the idea about anyone being necessarily "better" than anyone else. It's probably a case of you just "resonating" with other authors more than you do with Eckhart Tolle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 3:48:38 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Thanks Mark, I read Turning the Mind Into an Ally
by Sakyong Mipham recently and thought it was a great read. I am reading Ruling Your World now. See my reviews for some of the books that I have read that you might enjoy. I read your review on Adyashanti and ordered that book today. I'll check out the other authors too. Thanks for your point on "better" too. In retrospect a better topic would have been: Have you read other books that "resonated" with you more than Tolle. I appreciate your insight and response.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 3:55:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2008 3:57:28 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Wow Saboo Thanks. It's strange that you mentioned this author. I read Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh and I loved the book. I appreciate your response and will order Creating True Peace and The Heart of Understanding today.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 4:44:23 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Hello again Mark. I just ordered a book by each of the authors you mentioned. I am an avid reader of self-help books and love reviewing them too. I appreciate your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 5:47:04 PM PDT
Wm.....

If you want a more "intellectual" kind of take on this, I'd also suggest "Discovering the Realm Beyond Appearance" by Robert Powell and "Spectrum of Ecstacy" by this husband and wife who are lamas in a Tibetan Buddhist tradition(a phrase from that book, "I hurt, therefore I am" reminds me of Eckhart's "pain body.").

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 8:01:26 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Thanks again Mark, I just ordered them both. I had some trouble finding the second book. I googled it and found: Spectrum of Ecstasy: Embracing Emotions As the Path of Inner Tantra by Ngakpa Chogyam. Thanks for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008 12:12:35 PM PDT
THE MOST POWERFUL self-help, metaphysical, spiritual, whatever you want to call them, books available today are by or about Avatar Meher Baba. Amazon.com and Sheriar Books in Myrtle Beach offer them, among a few others in CA and Australia I think. They have even been translated into a number of other languages besides English.

Start with the "Discourses". They talk about the ego in more detail than Tolle does and divulge secrets of existence, why we are here, secrets about love, reincarnation, the spiritual path, etc.

For more information about Baba, His life, try "Listen Humanity" by Don Stevens, who is still living.

Avatar Meher Baba was born in Poona, India in 1894 and "dropped the body" in 1969. His life was Christ-like according to Mother Teresa, but I believe Him when he says He is Jesus reincarnated. His guidance has changed my life profoundly.....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008 4:15:25 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Thank you very much. I ordered both Discourses and God Speaks. I'll order Listen Humanity next. I appreciate your input. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 7:13:48 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Saboo,

You are so right! I am reading Creating True Peace, or The Heart of Understanding now. Thich Nhat Hanh is a skilled writer. His books are a breath of fresh air. He touches my soul and makes my mental light go on. This is my third book by Hanh. I intend to read all of his books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 7:21:47 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Mark as a follow up, I read "Discovering the Realm Beyond Apearance by Robert Powell. I am definitely in the minority of the reviews that I have read, but I was not impressed with Mr. Powell. I found his pretentious, verbose and rambling style boring and not worth the pay off. This book was a disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2008 7:42:46 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Saboo,
Again, I appreciate your input. I read both books and continue to be impressed by Thich Nhat Hanh. He is a master communicator. It is no wonder why Martin Luther King nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize. I can hardly wait to order and Mindfully read more of of his work. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2008 12:04:07 AM PDT
Wm......

Yes, I would tend to agree that the Powell does tend to get verbose. Pretentious though? Perhaps, in certain places when he comes across as an intellectual heavyweight where Advaita is concerned.

In that sense, it's NOT a good primer on the subject.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2008 4:48:25 AM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Mark,

Thanks for your post. You have hit the nail on the head. I appreciate your recommendation. Over the recent past I have read so many great books by authors whose writing techniques paint such a vivid picture that I found this one to be at a communication level that I appreciate less.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2008 7:59:49 AM PDT
Wm...

Spending time on youtube checking out various "gurus" one referred to is John Wheeler. I then googled and came up with this so you might want to check out.

http://thenaturalstate.org/

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2008 3:47:56 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Thanks Mark,
I checked out the website and the books offered. I have about 30 books on deck to read, but will order these later. I appreciate your post and recommendation. Thanks for caring.
Tom

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 6:02:00 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Saboo,
Thanks for your recommendation. Thich Nhat Hanh is truly an enlightened master. I love his books.

I recently purchased a book by Daniel Gottlieb titled Learning From the Heart: Lessons on Living, Loving, and Listening. Its an awesome book from a quadriplegic psychologist who suffers the accident that lead to his condition and the death of his wife, his sister, and his parents yet he is happy anyway. When I opened the book there was a quote next to the table of contents by Thich Nhat Hanh who says "May we awaken from the illusion that we are different." I hope others read your recommendation and get to know Thich Nhat Hanh's works.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 12:55:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2008 10:33:13 AM PDT
Christine22 says:
I'd like to offer my own recently released book titled: "What Everyone Believed: A Memoir of Intuition and Awakening."

In the last 2 "practical" chapters of his book, Tolle writes: Awakening is a shift in consciousness in which thinking and awareness separate." (p. 259 in book)

I would tend to disagree as I found in my own process that the opposite was true--that "right brain" awareness and "left brain" thinking balance, align, and merge into wholeness in the process of awakening. And when you have this inner alignment, then you will have inner peace because there is no more conflict between the left and the right, between the logical and the intuitive...between the mind and the heart. Inner peace then creates outer peace in the world because "what is within will be without".

Furthermore, Tolle implies that there is nothing you can do about awakening, that it's an act of grace rather than conscious effort. This is not entirely true as conscious effort enhances the awakening process (but Tolle perhaps is unaware what this effort comprises because he mentions he had a "spontaneous" enlightment experience, wheras I actually went through a step-by-step process.) Anyway, I found that a commitment, an effort to get behind this process enhances it. This is what is meant by conscious evolution, that conscious effort enhances the process of evolvement (including the learning with less pain). And then from there as you evolve your consciousness you can put things together and see and understand the bigger picture to life and humanity's bigger purpose---including the beautiful, divine reasons for our experience in duality as well as for suffering. The beautiful, divine reasons for our "egos." (This *truth* shall set humanity free!) Seeing the bigger picture/process to life and learning to "play the game" of life makes it easier and way more fun. I document all this in detail in my book, which is a down-to-earth practical guide (with many real-life examples) for the process of awakening. It is also a guide for gaining trust in your connection to your soul, your intuition, and for accessing the gifts of Interconnectedness--insights, serendipities, synchronicities, and universal cooperation that make life so much easier and fun. Because once you consciously commit to this process, the universe will generously reward your efforts.
I also need to add that in the end, all of us add to understanding and experience. By Tolle saying what's he's saying, he's making us think and that's good.
Christine Hoeflich, author of What Everyone Believed: A Memoir of Intuition and Awakening

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 4:03:09 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Hi Christine22,
Thanks for posting here and to my other discussion. Your post and the 5 star reviews by all of the amazon.com readers who read and posted reviews make me believe it is a must read. I bought it a few minutes ago. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2008
Latest post:  May 14, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A New Earth - Awakening To Your Life's Purpose
A New Earth - Awakening To Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle (Paperback - 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (2,514)