Has anyone brought one of these on an airplane? Will the TSA confiscate it if you leave it on a keychain?
asked by sleepisforwussies on January 14, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
votes
More than likely because they probably don't have one themselves
Thor answered on January 15, 2013

A
votes
Anything with seration or that is longer than 2.5" will be confiscated. I work for TSA.
Legal Eagle answered on May 14, 2013

A
vote
Leaving this item on a keychain on hand carry will probably get confiscated. Due to the fact it can start a fire. I have seen some TSA will allow it for military returning from overseas in uniform from a deployment.
Rocco Pepe answered on January 15, 2013

A
votes
I've flown on commercial flights a number of times with a butane lighter in my jacket pocket, and it's never been questioned or confiscated, even though the TSA has stolen nail clippers and tiny folding scissors with 1-inch blades from me. There's no rhyme or reason to what they do and the rules change frequently.
J.B. Cabell answered on January 6, 2014

A
votes
put it in your checked bag and your all good even knifes and such I just brought home 4 knives and a tomahawk just put em in my checked bag and no fuss no muss
Thai3576 answered on January 31, 2013

A
vote
it will have to be checked because it is a product that can caause fire. It can be placed in you regular lugage. most of the time they do not look at the key rings and might not ask about it. But if you do take it on i would remove the blade first. Plus TSA will take it if they know it is a fire stater and you could get jail time too. So I would keep it in checked bags.
Jonathan W. Lafleur answered on January 28, 2013

A
votes
try it and let us know how it goes.
Grumbler answered on January 26, 2014

A
votes
I don't know for sure, but I don't think I'd try it. It seems like it would be better to put it in checked luggage, to if that isn't possible, mail it.
B. Rohrer answered on January 15, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›