Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Mockingjay (The Hunger Games) forum

Did anyone else hate this book? I did.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 188 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2010 11:57:29 AM PDT
I didn't just dislike this book. I hated it.

I loved the first two. They were so inspirational that my daughter and I sat down and wrote our own book that we just got word will be published later this year. I loved everything about them. I loved the violence the themes, the characters, the messages, everything.

I hated Mockingjay. I read the whole thing in three days and every time I set it down, I thought, "who wrote this? Where did the characters go? Why would Collins change so much about them that we don't even recognize them? Why is this so depressing? Why is there no hero? Why is everyone dying? Why didn't she just follow the same formula that worked before?"

I've tired to let it go, but I loved the first two books. I read about 1,000 pages a week and I haven't been able to pick up another book yet because I can't get this awful taste out of my mouth.

I wish I never had read it and left my mind open to wonderful possibilities.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 12:08:15 PM PDT
N. Rivera says:
I did. I totally agree with you. I loved the first two. This book was entirely different. There was a disconnect between the books, and I felt the book was more like reading anti-war propaganda. I know the effects of war. What I wanted to read was a world that rose from the ashes out of triumph and love. I didn't get that at all.

I agree with you and I wish I never read it. There was no hope in this book. I said in another post that I thought it wasn't just anti-war, but anti-humanity. She made every person in this book act villanous in some manner.

She condemned Gale for choosing to be a revolutionary and fight to improve the lives of thousands, and didn't even give him a proper send off. That sucked the most, followed by Finnick's death and the ending.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 1:22:11 PM PDT
John Locke says:
I agree with you guys. I was SO disappointed with this book. While I loved experiencing the first two books, I literally had to force myself to finish Mockingjay. Katniss wasn't the warrior I was planning on seeing her become and she treated Peeta like dirt. Most of the deaths were unnecessary or just rushed and made no impact on me.
"What I wanted to read was a world that rose from the ashes out of triumph and love. I didn't get that at all."
Could not have said it better myself, N. Rivera.

I've been wanting my boyfriend and best friend to read these books, but now I'm not so sure that I should advise them to get involved with this story only to have to read the unsatisfying conclusion.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 1:47:28 PM PDT
Gladys J says:
I was so disappointed and wish I never read it. This book was way too dark. It's very different from the two previous books. I didn't like the characters as much (except for Finnick.) I kept hoping the story would get better. I hated that Finnick was killed and there was no final dialoge between Katniss and Peeta in the end. It felt like something was missing.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 2:20:47 PM PDT
N. Rivera says:
I had to force myself to finish it as well. There were even some parts I had to skim.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 2:59:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2010 3:19:36 PM PDT
I agree with what you have all stated...

I didn't HATE the book, but there are some definite issues that I take with it. To begin, I have a large issue with Collins' young adult appeal. I am a middle school teacher and myself and the librarians spent an entire school year pumping up this book. The first issue has to do with the death spree in the last 50 pages of the book. The deaths in the previous books were tortured, but they were dealt with in a way that young adults could understand. since the characters were given time to deal with and process the event, consequently, the readers could deal with and work through the event as well. This is CRUCIAL when writing about death for a young adult audience. Mockingjay had nothing of the sort. The deaths were rushed and characters were not given time to grieve (hello-cop out ending wih katniss' mother just vanishing into some other district...we, who have also grown to love Prim are not given the privilege to hear a conversation between the remaining two that loved her...and I don't even want to think about Finnick). If the ending and the deaths left so many adults feeling rather empty and forlorn, imagine how the youth would feel...ironic, considering the fuss Collins made about making sure people who disregarded children were seen as INTENSELY evil....hmmmmm.....

And then, what happened to the STRONG female role model both young men and women readers could hold up and admirable? Katniss became a pawn of the Capitol as well as the Rebellion and in the end, what happened? She did what the Capitol wanted all along and ended up with Peeta. If she had wanted that, ok, but couldn't we have just heard her admit it? All we get is "Peeta and i grew back together". Katniss withered. The girl who was on fire was doused in a bucket of cold water and we are left to deal with the remains. I get the PTSD references, but will young readers? Its just too much for 13, 14 year olds to handle...not to mention those who are reading it who are much younger.

I just think Collins got far too caught up in the anti-war propaganda to stay true to her characters. And the gratuitous violence is not appropriate for the young-adult audience she reeled in with the other two books. As i said before, especially due to the hurried nature in which they were done with no time to process and evaluate and mourn even. It's as though she thought that if she made the war seem as horrific as possible (which I get)then THAT and only that would send her message home. I don't think its appropriate for her younger readers and leaves the rest of us feeling jaded and cheated. And she didn't even include details about what happened with the political upheaval! We still have no CLUE about the districts and Capitol and thus the whole theme of the first two books and the Rebellion is left undone...

The harried ending truly makes me question Collins' abilities as an author (this and the rip off of Battle Royale) and whether or not I will even suggest that anyone bother with the first book.

<sigh> I just expected so much more.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 4:14:53 PM PDT
Lauren says:
As immature as it sounds, I'm pretending this book doesn't exist until further notice. Never has a book left me feel so disappointed with it's story. Katniss was the biggest disappointment. Why would she treat Peeta like crap for something she KNOWS isn't his fault? I'd kill her too if she treated me like that after I got tortured for her! Finnick was the only good thing about this book (his dialogue and of course his secrets). The way he died was stupid. Cato got a more dramatic death and the readers were supposed to hate him for most of the book. Katniss only thought about him one time after, and that was when she was counting off who was dead (which doesn't count imo).

Everything after Boggs died was horrible. When Boggs said "Don't trust them." I thought he meant the Star Squad. Instead, they all died out of loyalty for her 'mission'. It should have been "Don't trust Coin." Prim's death was sloppy (err...not meant literally. Too soon?) and Katniss' chapter immediately afterwards was a disaster. She was talking about being a 'fire mutt' and I literally thought "So this is what it's like to read a first person POV going insane." She was unlikable and so was this terrible book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 5:54:50 PM PDT
M. Gregory says:
I'm pretending it doesn't exist too! That is, I'm kind of entertaining the impossible hope that Collins says, JUST KIDDING! and then puts out a different third book. Either that, or I entertain myself with alternate endings ...

Plus, did anyone really hate how Katniss runs off to kill Snow on what is essentially a suicide mission? I had trouble believing that people really felt so strongly that "if anyone can do it, it's Katniss". It seemed way too theatrical of an ending and one filled with unnecessary deaths, because it seemed so implausible to me. Katniss was hardly even equipped to fight Snow, it seemed more like she was flinging herself forward in order to propel the story, and personally, I felt like Gale, Finnick, Leeg 2 (or was it 1?), Castor, Pollux - ALL of them, would have chosen a different tactic, equip themselves better, and employ a better strategy.

But maybe that's just me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 6:08:21 PM PDT
Lauren says:
@M. Gregory
I like you saying "if anyone can do it, it's Katniss". It should have been "If anyone can do it, it's that girl that hides in closets and condemned the boy who saved her (Peeta) to death since he's being mean to her. Yeah. She can kill Snow!"

I agree that some more planning could have gone into Snow's assassination, but I guess one could argue that they were 'in the heat of battle' and didn't think things through too much. And does anyone know how Peeta got so close to the Capitol bombs? Maybe I missed something, but I thought that he stayed behind the Squad to watch their backs. Did he see the bomb and just come over and help? Either the writing or my memory wasn't very clear on this.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 7:07:45 AM PDT
N. Rivera says:
@Lauren. HAHA. You make me laugh.

I think the suicide mission was the thing that made me the most upset in this book. All of that death for an incomplete mission. If I were in the Star Squad and had to follow Katniss on a near impossible mission, I'd be like "alright..well you go ahead with that... and I'll catch up".

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 7:59:58 AM PDT
Nina says:
Uhm...I don't think Katniss was supposed to kill Snow...she was there so they could make some good shots of her while "playing" war...and after Boggs death she decided herself that she's going to kill Snow and the others just didn't want to leave her alone (Peeta: " You still don't know...the effect you're having on people" or something like that).
And Peeta was just a few paces behind the Squad. The time it took Katniss to take the whole scene in and the first explosion there was enough time for Peeta to reach the square as well. And I guess as soon as he heard the first detonation he set off running to look for Katniss.

Having that said I have to agree that the book wasn't perfect. It felt rushed and lacked of emotions. Everything that made me cry (and I cried a lot) has been hurried down with two phrases. Finnick's abuse, Peeta, Johanna, Finnick's and Prim's death...all of that just felt totally empty.
I can't say I hate the book. I actually think the story itself is great. But it would have been so much better if there would have just been a little more emotions.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 8:27:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2010 8:30:31 AM PDT
N. Rivera says:
@ Nina... what I meant was her personal mission that she tried to take to kill Snow. That wasn't the Star Squad's mission, but she deviated and was trying to reach the Capitol to assassinate him, which was why Finnick and all the others died. I know that wasn't what she was supposed to be doing. But everyone rallied around her when she decided to try and kill him on her own. Which honestly wasn't a very good idea.

But I think maybe that was part of the point. That in real war, missions like that are not always or usually successful. But it still annoyed me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 9:49:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2010 11:57:22 AM PDT
justjo1313 says:
I made up my own happy ending for Gale...remember that scene in the hospital when Johanna was talking with Katniss and Gale walked in...Katniss said "everyone is scared of you" and Johanna replies, "not everyone, right handsome?" and directed it at Gale.....he walks in and playfully says, "Terrified". Then in the end, Gale touches Katniss's cheek and says he lost the only thing he had going for him---protecting her family-----and walks away right before she killes Snow...imagine that he walks away from Katniss for good. That when she calls out for him he has already left and isnt even in the crowd, b/c he resigns himself to a fate without her. I am glad that they don't end up together, becasue she doesnt deserve Gale. Imagine Gale in District 2, with Johanna...happy, married, with kids, and both relatively stable people who are not selfish and lost and self depricating....thats my happy ending.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 11:29:32 AM PDT
N. Rivera says:
I didn't think he was in the audience or was unable to get to her. I agree with the Johanna ending. I really liked her.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 11:49:34 AM PDT
Lauren says:
Justjo: I thought the Johanna/Gale moment was setting up for something more. I like your ending and I can definitely see the two of them together. Their kids would be awesome!

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 12:56:16 PM PDT
I don't know if I hated it, but it was incredibly depressing. I read it the day it came out and I'm still depressed.

I was bothered that we don't really know what happens with the new government in Panem. Or what was happening on the rest of the planet. Katniss doesn't seem to even care what happens after the war. And it irked me that she was so judgmental of Gale for inventing weapons. Okay, you basically started a revolution, but you didn't think anyone would die? I guess I just wanted to see her really start to care about the rebellion and come out fighting on her own terms, but mostly it seemed like she was just trying to save her own skin. She really couldn't commit to anything.

I hated the way she was with Peeta too, after everything he'd been through. And what did they DO all day after the war? Bake bread and hunt and that was all? I was kind of expecting Peeta at least to have some role in the new government after all that talk about how he can draw a country together with one sentence and all.

Gale's abrupt exit was one of the worst parts for me. I get that maybe they weren't the best romantic pairing, but after everything they went through it killed me that apparently they lost touch completely. He always took care of her and her family. Prim would have probably been dead during the attack on 13 if he hadn't gone back for her. I actually liked Katniss more when she was around him. He seemed to inspire her to stand up for herself. One of Katniss' best moments for me was when she took that whip for Gale. And now they just never speak again? Ugh.

Disappointing.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 1:03:20 PM PDT
Carolinagirl says:
I agree with justjo. Johanna was my favorite character in this story. I hated this ending. I guess I was expecting Katniss to be a Joan of Arc type character fighting for freedom. I wanted her to shout out like William Wallace in Braveheart.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 3:01:04 PM PDT
Since we are talking about alternate endings. Here is my two cents worth. I know this will tick off people, but hey, I can give my on opinion of what I wanted to read. Don't post here to tell me that my book would be too happy, and it misses the whole point of what Collins tried to do about showing that war is horrible. I got it. I just choose to live my life like Man's Search for Meaning or Schindler's List NOT like The Road or The Bell Jar. This book had impact. It was depressing and sad. It just wasn't what I wanted. SO I can only dream.

I would rewrite the whole book and use the same formula that was in the first two.

Katniss seems to escape and goes to District 13 with Gale and the others while Peeta is captured by the Capital. Coin can be the same character and tries to use Katniss and turn her into the Mockingja

The war goes back and forth with Katniss turning into the leader, the heroine, and warrior we all thought she would become. She leads troops into battle wins some looses others.

Through a unique twist like Collins did so well at in the first books, Coin, the president, and Peeta all find themselves in a hunger games with Katniss, Gale, Heimlich and the other escapees, along with the hairdressers and Effie and whomever else needed to be thrown into the mix. A winner takes all game.

Peeta could have still been hijacked. But his love for Katniss would overcome, and he would return.

You could still have death and destruction, depravity and "lessons of how bad war is." Gale or Peeta could die to save Katniss. (Wasn't that the point all along?)

Katniss could appeal to the people of the capital, turn them on the game makers and their government, be a leader and change the course of history.

That's what I would have liked. But that is just me. I would much rather be inspired, than depressed. I don't like books, or movies for that matter, where no one is the hero, or when you hate all the characters because all the good that was in them is gone.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 6:34:17 PM PDT
John Locke says:
"I don't like books, or movies for that matter, where no one is the hero, or when you hate all the characters because all the good that was in them is gone."
Exactly.
Life is neither all doom and gloom nor all rainbows and sunshine, but a mix of both. Mockingjay IMO should have been a dark book about sadness and death AND love and hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 7:50:49 PM PDT
Suzanne G. says:
"That sucked the most, followed by Finnick's death and the ending." This totally makes me laugh aloud! I don't know why--maybe because it's so sweeping?--but thank you. I needed something I could enjoy about this miserable disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 11:30:23 PM PDT
Nina says:
@N. Rivera
Ah, ok, now I get it. I guess the Squad followed her because they didn't want to leave her alone. I mean how many people died to keep her alive throughout the whole series? So my guess is that they knew they couldn't stop her so they did the best they could do to make her succeed.

@J. Muhlestein
But I'm so glad that Gale AND Peeta survived. Otherwise whatever decision she would have made would feel like she just took the one that was left. So theres at least one part I'm thankful for ;)

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 1:45:20 AM PDT
Bryan Bybee says:
this ranks up their with what terry goodkinds did to the sword of truth series and what laurell k hamilton has done to the anita blanke seires. You have a hero and the author goes through some personal emotion crap and ruins their writing style. Tragic really!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 8:02:00 AM PDT
Carolinagirl says:
@ Lindsay: I feel the exact same way about Gale. I hadn't thought before about Peeta being a leader in the new Government. He would be GREAT at that! And, what are they eating and drinking. Wasn't 12 demolished? How does bread boy bake bread with no wheat? Are they sending them rations? Are they farming? I love fiction and can suspend my belief with the best of them. But, for some reason that bugs me. My brain is just too rational for that one. LOL. Maybe I missed something in the ending? I would love some opinions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 8:04:41 AM PDT
Carolinagirl says:
@ Bryan: Do we know for sure she went through some emtional crap? Because I was convinced that she must have gone through a divorce or something while writing....menopause? Something.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 10:20:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2010 10:28:09 AM PDT
B. Booth says:
Things that were so wrong with this book. In a nutshell:
Katniss and Gale didn't have a proper good-bye scene.
Peeta died.
Katniss died.
Reason that Katniss and Gale's relationship died wasn't clear enough - I'm not talking about Prim either.
Ending wasn't long enough.
SC didn't even make the bits it was possible to make happy happy.
Left me feeling hollow, depressed, pissed off and confused. - SC tried to make it too much like reality. She ended up leaving the readers feeling what I just described. If we'd wanted to come away from a book feeling like that we wouldn't have picked up a YA FANTASY!!!
P.S Lauren I totally agree!
'Gale's abrupt exit was one of the worst parts for me. I get that maybe they weren't the best romantic pairing, but after everything they went through it killed me that apparently they lost touch completely. He always took care of her and her family. Prim would have probably been dead during the attack on 13 if he hadn't gone back for her. I actually liked Katniss more when she was around him. He seemed to inspire her to stand up for herself. One of Katniss' best moments for me was when she took that whip for Gale. And now they just never speak again? Ugh.'
Lindsey Rainy, exactly! I could fogive everything if it wasn't for what Sc did to K ang G's relationship. Because of that, she's lost me as a reader.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  92
Total posts:  188
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - Sept. 2010)
4.5 out of 5 stars (55,718)