Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > The Year of the Flood: A Novel forum

anyone listen to this on CD/audio book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2010 1:02:36 PM PST
I loved Oryx and Crake narrated by Campbell Scott--is The Year of the Flood as good?

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 11:38:49 AM PDT
This one has 3 narrators, women for Toby and Ren, and a man for Adam One. At the end of each of Adam One's "sermons" is a song which I assume was sung by the narrator, since I don't see a credit for the singer. I am only about 1/3 through the book, but all three of the readers are very good, and the folksy songs give the audio version a special touch that reading the book would not allow.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 2:15:43 PM PDT
I bought the CD version and it's pretty good! I think I did enjoy the Oryx and Crake narration better, but this was worth the purchase. jlh

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 1:15:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2010 1:16:17 PM PDT
Dayla B says:
I am listening to it right now, about half way through. I do not enjoy the singing, I try to listen but I sometimes fast forward through it. I love the narrators, they did a great job. I would recommend it.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 9:47:10 AM PDT
Robert says:
If you have the option, you should choose the audio version of this book (available for mp3 players from amazon's audible.com). The hymns (lyrics by Margaret Atwood), integral to the story, are beautifully sung in the audio book version: " Hymns of the God's Gardeners; Lyrics from Year of the Flood" by Orville Stoeber;Margaret Atwood. Sung beautifully to guitar accompaniment. Alternatively, the album can be downloaded in mp3 format from amazon.com ($8.99).

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:10:14 AM PST
I almost exclusively listen to books now (it probably has to do with my advanced age). All of Atwood's books I've listened to have had excellent narrators. I am a big fan of Mark Bramhall, who is the voice of Adam One. I will read almost anything he narrates.

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 8:59:56 AM PDT
sanfranshan says:
I am hating the narration for Year of the Flood. One of the women narrators is awful. A low whispering voice almost trying to be sensual when not appropriate. The folk singing is annoying and I have to fast forward. I feel like I am being brain washed or something. I liked the narrator for Oryx & Crake but can't stand this one.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 9:28:36 AM PDT
Evelyn says:
Have to say that the musical interludes are jarring and not welcome adjuncts to this story. Don't feel they add anything; they're well performed, but they are not quite over the top enough to be obvious satire, and if they're meant to tell us something about the Gardeners, what I got is this: the music they like is super white, super bland, and super syrupy - kind of what you'd expect from the Carpenters, only without Karen Carpenter.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Year of the Flood
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (Paperback - July 27, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars (546)