Has anyone else had a problem with the paint on the eyes coming off and getting all over baby mouth? My son was chewing on the nose & got black paint from the eyes all over his mouth. I know it says its a food based paint, but I don't think it should be coming off like that. Should I exchange it for another one?
asked by Kelly M. Hecker on May 2, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
There are sellers on Amazon sending out FAKE Sophies. I received one when I ordered my second Sophie (first one was lost). When it arrived, it looked very different than I remembered, so I did some research. It looked different than pictures of Sophie on the Internet and the Sophie from the video the manufacturer in France has on their website. I had my husband pick up another one from a nearby Whole Foods that was listed as a a retailer on the Vulli USA website. Upon comparison, it was obvious they were not made in the same place (the original factory in France). The product I received from Amazon, via GLOPO Inc./Little Genius, was horribly made compared to the other Sophie from Whole Foods, and it was obvious they were not the same. The smell is different, so I'm not even sure what the fake one is made of, and that is worrisome.

Not every retailer is sending out fake Sophies. And, you don't necessarily get the product from the same retailer every time. When we ordered our first one, it came from Home Naturals Inc. All we did both times was hit "add to cart," so I'm not sure why we would receive it from a different company.

Anyway, I would be worried about what the fake is made of and if the paint is actually safe. The paint on the real Sophie does not come off.

Here are some differences in the two I have compared:
Fake: fluorescent pink tongue and cheeks, messy insertion of squeaker in the back, longer and sharply bent front leg than shown in pictures of Sophie, brown paint on the bottom of the feet, seams visible (not buffed out after removing from mold), 18.5 cm/7.25 in tall, thinner profile, will not stand up because legs are different lengths and all in a straight line.
Real: orangey-pink tongue and cheeks, smooth around area of squeaker in the back, natural looking curved front leg just like pictures of Sophie on the Internet, no paint on the bottom of the feet, seams made from the two sides of the mold have been buffed to smoothness, 18 cm/7 in tall, thicker profile showing more detail in the body of the giraffe, will stand up for a bit if placed carefully.

Manufacturing Video:
http://www.sophiegiraffeusa.com/video.html
tnjambrose answered on May 6, 2012
Comment (1) | 21 of 23 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The paint was coming off of mine too and it freaked me out. The eyes, all of the spots, everything. Even if it is non toxic...it shouldn't be bleeding all over the place. There should be some kind warning about that so you can wash it off first, or something. And now that this has happened I'm reading all kinds of reviews saying that their kids choked on it. Don't know what to think now
A. Towersey-Caserta answered on September 18, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The same thing happened to our brand new Sophie. I am returning it, hoping to get a non-defective one. The paint should not come off like that, regardless of the fact that it's non-toxic.
Andrea Zundel answered on October 3, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I purchased 2 Sophie the Giraffe teethers a couple weeks ago for my grandbabies and have seen the paint coming off the fee and ears as well. I was wondering if I got a couple of defective products. I'm curious if anyone else has had the same problem.
Monk2285 answered on May 2, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So I contacted amazon and they are sending me a shipping label to return our sophie that I thought was a fake after reading this. I went to a baby store today and paid a premium price to make sure i had a real one, a store that was listed on the manufacturer's USA website. I compared the two. Both of them had a serial number on one of the center legs. They looked pretty similar, except the fake has a broken squeaker and the paint is all faded and worn away. The real one has a bit of a different texture than the fake, which is completely smooth. The smell was a bit different. The fake one smelled of rubber, the real one really has no smell. But the most telling was the little bumps or horns on the head. The real one has completely rounded bumps. The fake one had angles on the bumps, they were not rounded. Anyway, glad amazon is being good to work with on this. Reading everyone's comments, and now seeing the two, I am pretty sure I had a fake, especially since it broke easily and the paint wore away so easily.
David Edward Campbell answered on August 29, 2013
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Luckily the paint is edible and all natural, so if the paint does come off it's not toxic to baby!! My Sophie has lost a bit of paint around the ears! We still lover her!
ASHDAV answered on June 2, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Tese Sophies are fakes! Call or Email Amazon. And make sure that the company you are buying from is the one that "Makes and sells" Sophie. They have for OVER 50!!!! years the same way now! I have two and they are official sophies and they appear to have the paint air brushed on. I would recomend going to the Sophie site and call or email them with your problem. The real sophies have food grade paint that is harmless if swolled. However both of my children gave their Sophies very good chewings and I have NEVER seen paint come off! for safety information try http://sophiegiraffeusa.wordpress.com/ for what appears to be the USA official website try http://sophiegiraffeusa.com/index.html
Big Shopper answered on December 31, 2011
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Andrea, Our replacement Sophie has shown no signs of wear or paint problems. Good luck with your new replacement.
Monk2285 answered on October 3, 2011

A
I would be careful with this. It sounds like several people have reported receiving lower quality "fake" Sophies from Amazon. If the paint is coming off it could be an indication that you've gotten one of those. If it's a fake Sophie being sold by unscrupulous people then it seems entirely possible to me that the paint is bad for the baby. The "Natual" paint on the real Sophies doesn't just bleed off, so if that's what's happening I'd really look into it and raise some trouble for someone.
Kate answered on February 3, 2012
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I exchange our first one for a different one and the second one was definitely better than the first one. I would exchange it. Lori
Monk2285 answered on October 3, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product