Fujitsu ScanSnap S300 Color Mobile Scanner
Used & New from: $169.00
Has anyone used it to scan handwritten notebooks? I'm a lifelong learner and I have piles and piles of notes/doodles/transcripts etc. that I've recorded in my indecipherable chicken scratch.

I REALLY want a way to organize all of my notes.

So, some questions:
- Has anyone has success putting binder paper through this?
- Is there a good solution for organization? Like, can I add metadata?
- Will ANYTHING recognize my handwriting? Like EverNote, maybe?

... any and all feedback on how to solve this conundrum--including whether this scanner would be the solution for me--will be appreciated!
asked by Philip Sharp on March 25, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 answers
A
Nope - no handwriting recognition/transcription on Scansnaps. At least not on the S300 or discontinued S510 models. The OCR is used only to take the scanned images (all scans with these scanners are as images) and convert the text to searchable text. Evernote has handwriting recognition, though I haven't used it much and don't know how accurate it is. I believe that Microsoft OneNote 2007 also can do this; OneNote 2010 might be improved over the previous version.

Scansnap is not very good at all for document organization. As a matter of fact it is pretty poor. E.g., you cannot import any other documents (PDF) and have them made searchable; only that which was scanned with the Scansnap. So if you have a lot of PDF documents already you would have to scan them all over again. Also, Scansnap doesn't allow you to use Paperport with it, like most scanners do.

Jim
James McGowan answered on November 8, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product