Customer Discussions > Neon Bible forum

Does anyone else think that this is the next great Talking Heads album?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2007 8:39:55 PM PDT
This is a great album in its own right, but I can't help but think it's a worthy successor to the Talking Heads, More Songs About Buildings and Food - especially AntiChrist Television Blues

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2007 8:25:15 PM PDT
I can't hear a parallel between the two (and I'm quite the Talking Heads fan) but yeah, it's a keeper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007 10:26:29 PM PDT
That is the first thing that came to my mind after I first heard Funeral ( The Heads or early Roxy Music). I have only heard a few songs via mp3 from this sophmore effort. I am waiting until it comes out on vinyl in May (Why Merge would wait this long is beyond me). I like what I have heard, but it just dosnt seem as "important" as the debut, if that makes any sense. However, I should keep my mouth shut until I can hear it on my turntable in chronological order. I saw open for the Unicorns before Funeral as well as a coupl eof headlining gigs in small clubs in Texas. I was a happy, sweaty mess, to say the least!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007 10:27:36 PM PDT
That is the first thing that came to my mind after I first heard Funeral ( The Heads or early Roxy Music). I have only heard a few songs via mp3 from this sophmore effort. I am waiting until it comes out on vinyl in May (Why Merge would wait this long is beyond me). I like what I have heard, but it just dosnt seem as "important" as the debut, if that makes any sense. However, I should keep my mouth shut until I can hear it on my turntable in chronological order. I saw open for the Unicorns before Funeral as well as a coupl eof headlining gigs in small clubs in Texas. I was a happy, sweaty mess, to say the least!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2007 8:09:32 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2007 12:26:35 PM PDT
Tim Brough says:
As much as I dig Talking Heads, I find "Neon Bible" to be more a descendant of David Bowie/Bryan Ferry than David Byrne. With a little bit of Echo and The Bunnymen thrown in.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2007 2:28:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2007 2:28:49 PM PDT
John D. Williams,

You're going to have to work really hard to convince me that a few people having a discussion about what bands the Arcade Fire emulates is "rude." Have you ever even listened to the Talking Heads? Which albums? I read your other music reviews, and it sure seems like you are the rude person here, claiming that your musical opinions are "correct" and that everyone else is wrong. Just because you "love" the Arcade Fire, does not mean you have to put down other bands. And recognizing that your "favorite" band has some influences does not mean that you have to "love" them any less.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2007 2:30:00 PM PDT
Mr Brough---

I agree with your assessment and can I throw in the Pixies to this discussion? Some of Arcade Fire's chord progressions are RIGHT out of Pixies songs---not saying that they stole or mimicked them, just that it seems like they were fairly heavily influenced by the Pixies.

(which is a good thing!)

dan

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2007 4:34:27 PM PDT
There's no such thing as "more remembered". But if there was, you'd be ridiculously wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2007 6:48:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 17, 2010 1:25:48 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2007 12:47:31 PM PDT
Tim Brough says:
Daniel

You are right in that there seems to be a dash of The Pixies in here, maybe if Frank Black wasn't quite as densely layered musically. I can't quite picture The Pixies ever doing a song quite like "Neon Bible," for that matter.

My Pixies Story:
I saw them at the Newport Folk Festival when they performed the show that made the DVD. I can't recall a show where I was so dissappointed. At one point, Frank started a song and the rest of the band was playing another. It was sad to see heroes like The Pixies in such a sorry state.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2007 10:22:59 AM PDT
That's too bad about your experience with the Pixies....I had always heard they were so great in the early 90's. Have not seen them since they re-formed. I am excited that they are talking about recording a whole new album together, though.

Agree about the song "Neon Bible," but listen to the guitar/organ chords in "Intervention." It's Pixies all the way (without the surf-music rhythm section!)

dan

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2007 3:14:30 PM PDT
Subterranean says:
Talking Heads were brilliant.

Arcade Fire hasn't made an album that surpasses Remain in Light (although, granted, very few artists have). As such, while AF has potential to outdo Talking Heads, I don't think they have yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2007 9:41:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2007 9:43:48 PM PDT
There's not enough polyphonic madness going down to equate AF with the Talking Heads. (At least not that I picked up on.) The vocal in Antichrist Televison Blues is Byrne-esk, I guess.
Subterranean: In my mind Funeral is pretty close to Remain in Light, if not quite there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2007 12:04:54 AM PDT
aleceiffel says:
Daniel,

Yes, yes yes. My thoughts exactly!!! Iknow just what you mean. Not the chord progressions exactly, but the way some of the verses and choruses drop tp 3/4 time instead of 4/4.......or the way that you expact a chorus to come in, but they play an extra bar of music.....just like the Pixies.....Job job picking that up :)

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 10:41:08 PM PST
ifutureman says:
I wouldn't say Talking Heads, but I would definitely say that this could be the "new" Echo & The Bunnymen. This guy does Ian to a T. But I like like most of Neon Bible, so it's all good I guess.

And by the way I saw the Pixies a bunch of times back in the day, around Boston... and they were almost always great and even when they were tired or pissed they still played solid shows.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:12:36 PM PDT
D. Taylor says:
For what it's worth: The lead singer of Talking Heads has an appearance on "The Suburbs" (2009), Arcade Fire's follow-up to "Neon Bible".

Check out the special edition bonus track, "Speaking in tongues". Also one of the better tracks on the album. It's a shame they didn't put it on the mainstream version, but I bought the 2 disc version anyway. I'm a collector like that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Neon Bible forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Neon Bible
Neon Bible by Arcade Fire (Audio CD - 2007)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (240)