Can you make anything other than rice with this? Anyone try to cook anything else in this appliance? Any luck?
asked by Clueless on November 3, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
You can cook almost anything in it, I bought this rice cooker and I am so happy with it. It comes with the recipe book where it has recipes for meat, rice, and other grains. I tried to brown meat, perfect! Made pasta in it, very good, you can even make burgers in it, just put oil, let it heat for 5 minutes and put and wait! I cooked porridge, soups, and it is a must have appliance. Also it uses many times less electricity than you would use your regular stove. I have two kids, and it is so easy to cook for them. Just an amazing rice cooker. I bought another Panasonic rice cooker larger one, Fuzzy logic SR-MS 182 to use as a slow cooker and cook larger bacthes of food, but this one I use it everyday, twice a day.
To cook soups or stews, put some oil, press on, wait 5 minutes, open and put whatever you are cooking, sear, add water and let it simmer. Great rice cooker.
Hope it helps
Bojeenah answered on March 11, 2011

A
votes
I also use it for various breakfast cereals - oatmeal, quinoa, steel cut oats,
etc. 2 parts water to 1 part cereal has worked for me in every case. It's important for a cooker this size to use no more than a rounded 1/3 cup or less of cereal to avoid boil over. If you want to make cereal for more than one person get a larger cooker.
J. W. Thomas answered on April 2, 2011

A
votes
I use it for cooking lentils, all kinds of rice. It cooks brown rice just right. I've thrown vegetables, and a chicken thigh with rice and everything is perfect. I made a curry dish - put in a bit of oil, and curry powder and let the spices cook a minute then added rice, veggies, potato, whatever I wanted. Perfect. Also made spanish rice in the same way.
The only time it boiled over was when I tried to make rice pudding and walked away too long. Duh, you always have to watch milk! Just think of the recipe - if the dish would boil over on a regular stove, it would boil over in the rice cooker.
Want hard boiled eggs? I cooked regular white rice for 10 minutes, then laid a few whole eggs on top of the half cooked rice and came back when the rice was done in the normal manner. The hard boiled eggs were perfect - steam cooked not boiled and not overcooked - no gray on the yolk.
If you add frozen veggies to a rice dish, add them when the rice is almost done so they steam without overcooking. it's pretty hard to ruin something with this handy cooker.
Muriel Schwenck answered on October 8, 2013

A
vote
Thanks - that encourages me to experiment. The first thing I tried after rice was oatmeal but got the proportions wrong and it boiled over into a great disaster! With a lot less liquid now I don't use any other method for steel-cut oats - so easy!
Clueless answered on March 11, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

ARRAY(0xa22ab498)