Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 11:59:45 AM PST
Almost every 5 star review has one or two sentences and says things like 'I want to read more' and 'this is the best book evar'. Have they created programs that can spam reviews?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 3:25:56 PM PST
Nathan Smith says:
Yup. That's the trick--all the 5 star reviews are semi-illiterate--all the one and two star reviews are well written. Could there be a correlation between IQ and likelihood to like this book perhaps???

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:38:22 AM PST
W. Westphal says:
There are two things this could be, maybe it's both.

1 There is a small group of crazy, militiant fans who are are making multiple reviews with multiple accounts. I know this is possible because I have talked to people who have done this on other things. These people get bored making so many reviews so they basically just say the same thing again and again, but they slightly different wording so that Amazon doesn't delete their reviews.

2 Or the majority of the five star reviews are legit. This might be the case, and then it still wouldn't be too hard to find out why they are so shallow. FSOG is a very shallow book about a romance so sick it shouldn't be called romance. FSOG is the glorification of a un-traditional, abusive kind of relationship that spits in the faces of feminists who have been fighting against abuse in the Middle East, and it spits in the face of most major religions which teach to wait until after marriage to have sex, etc. The author is shallow, as she disrespects her fans. Why should we expect the super fans to make articulate reviews?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 4:36:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 7:06:27 PM PST
Southpaw says:
I agree. They seem derivative. Frankly, I HATED this book and wrote a lengthy review in order to release my anger (and I'm STILL angry). I don't mind reading opinions that are different than mine, but as long as they state reasons. But like you said, all of the 5 star reviewers say something like, "What an amazing read. Can't wait to read the next in the series." And these aren't reviews so I really wish these people would stop "reviewing."

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:14:24 PM PST
Southpaw says:
The five star reviewers want to kiss Christian's face
But the one star reviewers want to spritz the rapist with mace
The five star reviewers can't tell the difference between rape and consensual sex
This doesn't concern Ms. James because she is laughing all the way to the bank to cash her checks
Abuse is romanticized and glorified
While common logic falls on the wayside

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:52:13 PM PST
Y. Stewart says:
This one got me:
"Extraordinary, simply does this beautifully gripping read no justice. I literally finished this book in less than 24 hours. Already purchasing the final two. When I explain how relentlessly captivating this is, please understand that I mean this to every extent. What a phenomenal mind James has. Thank you."
Jeez!!!!!!! :(

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:07:27 PM PST
I plead to the sane minds out there to report these fake reviews as spam and/or trolling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:05:04 PM PST
Southpaw says:
Scifi n fantasy lover,

Sadly, it wouldn't make a difference. I've been complaining about Amazon's #1 prolific fake reviewer (Harriet Klausner) to Amazon and my complaints have fallen on deaf ears. I've sent countless emails to them and every single one of them was ignored.

I know it wouldn't be fair and the idea is flawed, but I think Amazon should only allow those who have an Amazon Verified Purchase to post a review. This way Amazon will be able to curtail the number of fake reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:44:53 PM PST
Jaime says:
That absolutely won't work. If you look, most of these bogus reviews have "Amazon Verified Purchase" on them. The best reviews usually don't. The system is being cheated within the system itself.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:22:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 3:22:21 PM PST
Southpaw says:
Jaime,

Yes, you're absolutely right. I did notice that! Aaah, unfortuantely most people give credence to a review with an Amazon Verified Purchase. I only hope that people are smart enough to know that these 5 star reviews are all phony. I'm halfway through Fifty Shades Darker (I had to put it down a LOT- and then convince myself to pick it up again) and I cannot believe people gave it 5 stars! It's not even worthy of one star! I cannot believe the people who actually like this awful trilogy! Are they on crack? Ms. James doesn't know squat about BDSM, healthy relationships, friendships, etc.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:07:06 AM PST
Y. Stewart says:
By TawannaAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
This book is everything i cant ply my hands off its more than i could hope for i would defenitly reccomend

How many mistakes can you make in two lines?

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:44:34 PM PST
SORE EYES says:
Because publishers hire people to give good reviews. It's a well documented fact. When publishing went in the toilet, they outsourced it overseas where they don't speak very good english or write very well and get paid a few cents a review, so they write them and quickly as possible. Quality reviews don't matter. It's only the star rating the publishers care about.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 12:28:57 PM PST
SORE EYES says:
Google an article called "the best reviews money can buy new york times".
You'll notice a clear pattern here of one star reviews going up and then a couple of five star reviews going up. There are companies watching monitoring this page and protecting it for publishers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E. L. James (Paperback - April 3, 2012)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (26,691)