Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > RAM forum

at last - ram in mono

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2012 9:49:51 PM PDT
Mike McAteer says:
If I thought I was dreaming, it was when I found the release date of my favorite McCartney solo l.p. would be within a month! But my bonus fantasy is coming true with the inclusion of RAM in MONO on CD and (did I say "and"?) most importantly and impressively ON VINYL. Yes there is a God in Heaven, and I am just thinking He knew I should see this day before I meet Him and all this won't matter anymore. Life does have its little joys, BUT THIS ONE IS A BIG ONE! Thank you Paul. This "Deluxe Book Edition" and "Limited Edition Mono Vinyl Edition" will probaly send me over the edge with my wife and kids calling me to return to earth. Well worth the wait, I'm sure.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 12:14:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 24, 2012 5:21:36 PM PDT]

Posted on May 2, 2012 2:47:55 PM PDT
M M says:
For many years I heard great things about the mono mix of "Ram", but I never actually heard it in mono. Does anyone around here have a mono of this? I would love to know what I'm missing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:54:45 AM PDT
sandi beach says:
'Ram'/mono is on youtube. I also want a mono-mix CD of 'Ram' but I don't want the Deluxe $90 edition because ..it's overkill for me and I've got over 600 Lp's now with the original Ram and don't want anymore vinyl. I just want a mono CD of Ram.

There are Paul fans over at the 'Ram' Deluxe edition page who have copies of the mono 'Ram'. I don't remember it being released. I can't find it for sale either. I'm thinking it's bootlegged perhaps but it is on YT so, it did exist at one time.

Posted on May 12, 2012 5:42:33 AM PDT
David Moore says:
Sandi,
Unless you can find a bootleg CD of Ram in mono, the only way to get a mono CD is to purchase the deluxe. It won't have a seperate release. Sorry. David

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 6:36:25 AM PDT
sandi beach says:
David,
Thanks. How disappointing for him to NOT put out a mono Ram outside the deluxe pkg.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 9:05:49 PM PDT
Mike McAteer says:
Many of the great albums of the 60s (and 1950s) HAVE been re-released in their mono mixes in the last couple of years. If you're a bit young to remember the way many of us heard, liked, and bought the hits...they were heard in a little round or oval shaped speaker in the center of the steel (yes, steel) dashboards of our parents' car. Maybe if our family had a station wagon there might even be a 2nd speaker in the back, but the sound that blasted out of those 5 watt mono AM radios was what got us to tell our parents to drive us to the local Sav-On drug store, or a T,G, & Y store, or Sears and Roebucks to buy the single (always in mono until the late 60s) or l.p. We normally bought the l.p., or album, in mono like I did with the Sgt. Pepper/Beatles record because most families didn't have stereo record players yet....and the stereo album was $1 more than the mono version. Did I forget to mention how valuable a dollar was? It bought 4 gallons of gas back then....ergo, saving a dollar meant something!

So, here we sit at our laptops, entering our thoughts via websites like http://amazon.com to communicate ideas, memories, and perspective around the world. My 2 cents to my younger Amazon friends like Hinch is simply that mono IS a valuable sound to some but not all music lovers. And to prove it, not only did Apple Corps and The Beatles reap ginormous profits from the 09-09-09 remasters of their album AND 45 catalogue in mono, but labels like Columbia, Sundazed and more have put beaucoups of cash into the pockets of The Byrds, Paul Revere and The Raiders, Bob Dylan, and many others through the delicate remastering of those purposeful mono mixes of days gone by.

RAM will undoubtedly do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 5:21:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 5:23:04 AM PDT
sandi beach says:
Mike,
I saw the Beatles in 1964 at City Park Stadium in New Orleans. I was given a stereo in 1963 for Christmas along with Elvis LP's, my family was obsessed with music and Elvis. When 'Meet The Beatles' was released..I was ready to be blown away! I never played another Elvis LP again! My house became a magnet for Beatles fans because many parents did not like The Beatles and wouldn't let their girls by their LP's.

I own The Beatles CD collection in mono..it's incredible. I bought the original Beatles albums as they were released and still have them. I own the 1981 The Beatles Collection in the blue box, and all the Beatles albums on CD. I own most of Paul's LP's and many of them in CD form as well and some of John's also. I still play my Ram LP...but I would love it in mono on CD.

I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders in the 60's along with other bands of that era. I saw Paul with Wings in 1976 and with his new band in 2001. I saw Dylan a couple of years ago and his voice is shot.

Thanks for your post/reply.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:03:05 PM PDT
Mike McAteer says:
Sandi,
Wow! And I thought I had a lot of Beatles stuff! Did you happen to keep any of the concert stuff like ticket stubs or concert programs? I, too, saw The Beatles at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles in 1966, two days before their final tour concert in San Francisco. Absolutely electrifying. I have two stubs from that, plus the concert program in near perfect condition. I met Paul McCartney backstage at the Johnny Carson show in L.A. when he promo'd "Give My Regards To Broad Street" movie in 1984. He autographed a promo 12" single of Ebony & Ivory for me. Still haven't washed my hand....LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 7:58:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 8:49:04 AM PDT
sandi beach says:
Mike,
I had my concert ticket, the blue ticket to 'A Hard Day's Night', and lot's of Beatles keep-sakes in a scrap book. When I left home after college, they threw it all away while re-decorating my bedroom! When I found out...I was so disappointed. I took all the albums and 45's with me, thankfully!

Meeting Paul..must have been a thrill for you. GMRTBS..wasn't very good but he loves to create and he never slows down.

My oldest son spent time with Maureen for years at her house in CA and he spent Thanksgiving one year there and met Ringo's children. She was married to Isaac Tigrett at the time. He was very fond of her.

I do have a Paul encounter but I didn't know it at the time. He was living in New Orleans while recording 'Venus and Mars'. He was there during Mardi Gras. We walked to our favorite restaurant to eat before the parade began and there was a huge man at the door turning people away. I asked him 'why?' and he said "private party" today..and pointed to the balcony above. I argued to no avail.

So, I backed-up into the street and looked up to the balcony with scorn! The people on the balcony were all dressed as clowns..the adults and children. I held up my hands to gesture at them as if to say, 'you people!' and they looked down and waved. The next day, it was reported that those Clowns were Paul, Linda, their kids and Wings!

I could have probably met Paul that year because the studio was well known and fans showed up every day and he signed autographs. But..I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have never approached anyone for an autograph and I have crossed paths with famous people many times.

I did get a place in front of the stage and in front of Paul for the Rockshow concert in '76 tho. I have a pic of him at the mic right in front of me. The concert in DC in 2001 was so different and the security was intense. It wasn't as much fun as '76. It felt like a maximum security prison getting in there and my seat was floor seating in front of the stage (row 24) and there were security guards posted down the aisles and along the stage like an army force protecting him. They were mean too..and I'm all of 100 lbs..so, what was I going to do to Paul? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:58:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 6:59:11 PM PDT
Mike McAteer says:
I know your pain. I spent an obscene amount of money on 2 tix for his 2007 concert and was thrilled to get into row 11 on the floor. Well.....like you mentioned, after all the security and "safe space" in front of the stage, I ended up feeling like I was 100 yards away! And for all that money!

I'm so sorry to hear about your scrapbooks. I was fortunate to keep mine through all those years, only to lose ALL my Beatle posters from my bedroom walls when I went to college....one of them, my favorite, was the one big blue "Live at the Palladium in London" large poster that my dad ordered for me in 1965 because there was a special offer that printed your name on it, "with Mike McAteer". I've only seen one once online from a noted Beatlefan magazine contributor. That's the one that got away....Wahhhhhhhh!

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 6:18:28 AM PDT
sandi beach says:
Hi Mike,
I have read listeners reviews of RAM and I'm ordering it.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=286546

People say the difference between the mono and stereo are miniscule and that the new RAM sounds fabulous...which is what counts!

So, after all the searching for this mono unicorn RAM CD..it's not really a big difference. lol

If you purchased the Deluxe set..I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Too bad about your Beatle posters.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  RAM forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2012
Latest post:  May 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
RAM
RAM by Paul McCartney (Audio CD - 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars (537)