Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 16 GB Android Tablet AT105-T1016
Used & New from: $185.99
can attach external hard drive and install app on that? it has usb and SD card port.
Is it possible to attache external hard drive?
is it possible ot install all to SD card or external hard drive?
asked by U. Shelat on August 17, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Yes you can attach any 2.0 external hard drive that is designed to use the power from the usb such as a Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0/2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Midnight Black) .
You can also attach an external DVD drive that runs off the usb power, such as the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive (Black)
Gracie W answered on August 17, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No tablet except the Asus transformer can power a portable hard drive and only through their keyboard dock. Most tablets don't have enough power to turn on large external devices such as an optical drive or hard drive. If you want to be able to connect to those devices then you need to get a usb powered hub or use a desktop external hard drive with its own power supply or an optical drive with its own power supply. The usb port on tablets are only capable of powering flash drives.
P. Mai answered on August 23, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does anyone run a 2.5" portable HD off the Thrive's USB power? If you do, can you tell me the brand, model and capacity you use?
I have seen a lot of different posts on Thrive forums of the various external hard drives people use including, Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Metallic Blue). External drives must be reformatted to FAT32 or exFAT to work with Android. Most external drives come out of the box as NTFS format. Easy to reformat.

I run a tiny 60GB 1.8 inch Hitachi hard drive powered off the Thrive's USB connector only. It is a low power drive, the same kind used in iPods or MP3 players. I "built" this drive by putting the bare 1.8" drive in a nice little case I got on Ebay, for $2.50 plus shipping. I use the ZIF version of this drive, it requires only 3.3 volts, 1.4watts start-up, 1.0 watts read, and 1.1watts write. I usually keep the Thrive on it's charger when using the drive, but not always. Since a USB port provides 5 volts and max 2.5 watts (500 milliamps), this little drive has power to spare.

Here are the specs on this drive, If you are into DIY, it is an easy project, and if anyone wants me to put a "how to build one" video on youTube I can do so.

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/503ECC8AB77D22D686256EF40056CF4C/$file/C4K60_PC_v7_sp.pdf

Here is the case I used for the drive:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIF-1-8-HDD-HD-Enclosure-Case-Toshiba-Hitachi-/220594999924?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item335c7c9274

Amazon has a selection of "1.8 ZIF drives" and "1.8 ZIF enclosures". Just search Amazon for either of these phrases. I favor the enclosure I got from Ebay, because it is smaller than most, has a nice gloss finish, and a simple case comes with it.

If anyone has the power output specs for the Thrive's USB I would be interested in seeing them, IE: MAX volts and milliamps recommended?
That is the answer to everyone's questions of whether the Thrive USB can handle their particular external HDD or external optical (usb-powered) drive. With that info, I could compare the Thrive's power output to the power specs for your particular USB device

Another storage solution is get fast high capacity SDHC like Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E Also you can get a tiny high capacity flash drive Lexar Echo ZX 32 GB USB 2.0 Backup Drive LEHZX32GBSBNA. So with all the connections the Thrive has, compared to other tablets, there are lots of neat ways to get more storage working with your Thrive.
Gracie W answered on August 25, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
thanks
U. Shelat answered on August 18, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can use USB media such as flash drives and external hard drives. If you have trouble accessing the media it may be that the media is using an unrecognized file system. You will need to Google that to make sure youre using a supported file system. As far as putting apps on SD, thats not a good idea with this tablet. It has lots of internal storage for apps so to break them in half onto an SD card will only hinder your ability to use all your apps when you want to switch out your SD cards unless you plan to keep 1 SD card in it at all times thereby completely wasting the idea of having full size media slots
Scott D. Espenschied answered on December 26, 2012

A
I do. I use a WD 500 gig XHD. The usb plugs into the dock USB port. there is no port in the tablet.
Jeff Miller answered on April 18, 2013

A
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2011 8:44:06 AM PDT]

A
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2011 8:27:22 AM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›