I saw the author Pamela Meyer speak on the subject of deception, and I was hooked

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2010 3:55:51 PM PDT
Chalae says:
I am one of the lucky ones to receive an advanced copy of Liespotting after I heard the author Pamela Meyer speaking on the subject of her book. Liespotting provides a true under-the-hood analysis of human beings and why we do what we do. And the amount of empirical research that went into Liespotting was incredible, so much so I would have imagined its author a dry analyst in a lab coat. But I truly enjoyed Pam's speech on the subject of human deception: She was engaging, welcoming and interesting, and her tales about the level of training she received in the "art" of deception (and in detecting it) were absolutely fascinating.

I couldn't wait to get home to read Liespotting after the discussion, and it did not disappoint. As I expected Ms. Meyer discussed the nature of why we lie and how she learned to detect it, but the book itself broke down how a regular person, like me, can apply the techniques to every day life. What a guide! I am so grateful to have received an inside look into this science I knew nothing about.

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 8:33:17 AM PDT
Codie says:
I was passed along this book a few connections down, and I really enjoyed it. I've always been intrigued by the psychology behind lies, and have considered myself a pretty fair 'lie detector,' so it was interesting to me that those who consider themselves the best at deciding when someone is lying are usually the worst. While I'm not quite ready to succumb to that concept in its entirety, I thought many of the cues the book provided for 'liespotting' were things that I've noticed in people before, but never really noticed.

I wish I could have met the author. I think it would have been interesting to have a face-to-face discussion and analysis. Also, it's pretty clear from the second half of the book that she's well-versed in business. Even though I'm not in a high enough position where I work to really apply all of the advice, I've definitely seen a lot of the deception she mentions in my work environment, and it makes me wonder how much more goes on, especially higher up.

At least now maybe I won't be scammed by the next Bernie Madoff!

A book to consider.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 12:22:07 PM PDT
Eugenie Vink says:
Great book, extremely useful to anyone in the professional world looking to improve their judgment skills, or to anyone who's interested in psychology and body-language.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 25, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception
Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception by Pamela Meyer (Hardcover - July 20, 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (181)