Can babys chew on the Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether if they already have a few teeth? I was wanting to get this for my daughter who is still teething considering she keeps everything in her mouth wheather it is ok to chew on or not! I didnt know if her two teeth she has already would possibley bite into it
asked by D. Duncan on July 30, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 answers
A
votes
My son does. He is 11 months old with 4 teeth (and 2 more on the verge of breaking through). I think it is extremely similar to a dog toy, which can take quite a bit of abuse from chewing. In fact, it is scary how much like a dog toy it is. Of course, that does not stop my son from loving his Sophie! Sophie is a fun shape, a good size for small hands to hold, it obviously feels good on sore gums, and she gets a laugh every time she squeaks. My little boy loves her!
A Teacher answered on August 7, 2009

A
votes
Sophie is even better once the child has teeth! My 20-month-old is still going strong in his Sophie love. I am very surprised that a child was able to puncture the toy. I have even chewed on it myself to test it and did not break through it. As far as the leg getting lodged in the throat, Sophie is quite big and if the child does manage to push Sophie in too far, there is no way the child could swallow it or it would be difficult to remove--no matter how far back the child pushes it, there are a good 4-5 inches of Sophie sticking out for easy removal. Sophie is very easy to grasp. The child or adult simply needs to pull Sophie back out of his or her mouth to remove it. This is true for ANY toy or teether. Some very young children lack the dexterity to remove the toy from their mouths. Sophie should NEVER be used without adult supervision, just like ANY toy or teether. Even from a very early age, my son was able to remove objects from his mouth, so this was never an issue for us. If a child is unable to remove a large object from their mouths, then you should wait until they develop the dexterity to do so. No matter what, a child should never be left unattended with a toy or teether until the child has demonstrated the awareness and ability to remove a large object from their mouths. Sophie is not any different.
S. Hogan answered on September 17, 2010

A
votes
Momma San, just FYI. Looks like Sophie is completely non-toxic and made with food paint so the "chip" would not have harmed your little girl.
Gadget Girl answered on August 12, 2009

A
votes
My 9 month old has several top and bottom teeth, and happily gnaws on Sophie to this day. No wear and tear that I can see.
Ferbert answered on December 4, 2009

A
votes
i purchased this today for my 16.5 month daughter. i knew of sophie because it is such a popular registry item, but i didn't get one because i figured my kid would just chew on some other toy. well, she is getting molars now and nothing we have fits the shape of her mouth to get back there for those teeth. i thought of sophie's legs and went and bought one. it was like instant relief. once i gave it to my daughter, she went happily away, chewing on sophie and stopped fussing. sophie seems like an infant toy, but my toddler seems thrilled.
katie anderson wolf answered on September 1, 2010

A
votes
Don't worry Momma San. The paint is made from fruit and vegetable dyes and is 100% natural so some paint rubbing off or "chipping" is totally okay and expected. I'm surprised that your daughter was able to puncture holes in it because my son has a really strong bite and a few bottom teeth and he's never even come close to puncturing it. Hopefully you found something else your daughter liked as much as Sophie.
Mrs answered on August 9, 2010

A
vote
My granddaughters favorite teether and toy. One of her first words was Sophie.
Marie B. Earnest answered on September 7, 2010

A
vote
We bought Sophie when our son was 4 months old. He is now 8 months and Sophie has become his favorite toy. Unfortunately, we recently found a small chunk missing from her foot (hoof). He has 2 teeth that have come in so far so it must be possible for teeth to puncture this toy. We are very sad that we've had to take away his favorite toy but since it has now become a choking hazard, we have no choice.
Bill Landry answered on September 29, 2010

A
votes
My son loves Sophie! He is 11 months old with 4 teeth and no damage done to the giraffe...highly recommend!!
krtuma answered on September 11, 2010

A
votes
The paint has rubbed off noticeably, but my baby has never punctured it with her 6 teeth. However, she prefers wood rings and Link-a-Doos to teethe on.
Earthnut answered on January 14, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›