4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and seems to be well made
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent chairs, but not excellent (3 1/2 stars)
We recently bought two of these chairs for a home office. They are nice, but at the higher price point for this type of chair, my expectations were raised.

Pros:
* Thick cushion on back and seat.
* Seems sturdy overall.
* Neutral design (not modern or traditional).
* Tilt feature.
* Star base holding wheels and pneumatic lift piston...
Published 23 months ago by Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and seems to be well made, January 25, 2013
This review is from: basyx by HON HVL210 Task Chair for Office or Computer Desk, Black (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good task chair. Only two adjustments on it, height and difficulty of tilt. Had several people sit on it (wide variety of tushes) and everyone thought it was very comfortable. Comment from two people was that the shape of the seat made you feel like you were being held in place, this was good as they said it felt very stable. It is a very upright position, good for computer use or other task-oriented use.

Why 4 stars instead of 5? No instructions in the box. They did give you two spare bolts and a allen wrench to assemble it with, but no indication where the bolts went or how to get the wheels on. Can't push the wheels on, just doesn't work. The wheels have a flat spot that is obviously for you to use a hammer . . . guess what, the center post is a perfect hammer to put the wheels on and didn't hurt it at all. Took awhile for a group of 4 people that included a mechanical engineer to figure that out.

For the price, I don't think you can beat this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Chair, April 29, 2012
I purchased this as a gift for my son and he is thrilled. I ordered it directly from Amazon utilizing the free super saver shipping, and the chair was at his doorstep before noon the next day. (Thumbs up to Amazon!) I wanted a chair without arms to ensure it would fit well under his desk, which it does. I am told it has plenty of cushion and was easy to assemble. I looked at some other brands, but have always has good luck with HON products. We are very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more back pain!, October 2, 2012
I was nervous about ordering this chair! I needed a chair that was comfortable with good back support, since I suffer from back pain due to sitting in uncomfortable chairs all day. Since I've received this chair my back feels better and it is very comfortable. You definitely get quality for the price. I would highly recommend this chair, I just ordered two more.

5.0 out of 5 stars a few cautions, September 21, 2012
1) The chair didn't elevate as high as I wished, but should be a non factor for most people. Manufacturer reasoning for this is due to safety concerns. Seems reasonable.

2) This chair is not for nudists. First thing I did after assembling my chair was to sit in it naked. No Bueno. Chair material is polyurethane (according to the tag) with a slightly abrasive corduroy texture feeling that is not designed to be in contact with your jewels or skin. EDIT: After a few days your skin can actually get used to this :D!

3) Chair has that unpleasant new smell to it, but I expect it to go away within a few days. If not, I'll use Lysol. EDIT: it went away in 2 days.

other than that...

4) Chair is very comfortable with clothes on and has ample cushioning for my gargantuan ass.

Just, don't expect Herman Miller quality okay?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome chair, January 9, 2013
Emily (ALLENTOWN, PA, US) - See all my reviews
Extremely cushy and comfortable, provides excellent back support. The only chair i've sat in where I can comfortably sit in an ergonomically correct position. I work from home at a computer, and was starting to have back and shoulder pain because I couldn't sit correctly in my previous char. There is no pain from this chair so i am very happy.

Update 10/25/2013 After 10 months of sitting on this chair 40 hours a week or more:

The cushion under by butt has squished a bit and is a little less comfortable. I also lost most of my the fat in my buttocks.

Overall, the chair is still not uncomfortable, and doesn't hurt by bony rear.

I could get a cushion for it if i wanted, still a better deal than a chair that costs $100 plus

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent chairs, but not excellent (3 1/2 stars), November 27, 2012

Pros:
* Thick cushion on back and seat.
* Seems sturdy overall.
* Neutral design (not modern or traditional).
* Tilt feature.
* Star base holding wheels and pneumatic lift piston are heavy duty.

Cons:
* The upholstery is out of alignment (piping stapled crooked around back cushion).
* The back cushion distance to seat varies from one chair to the other (quality control).
* One back cushion is mounted slightly crooked (back touches seat on one side, and has 1/4" gap on other side).
* There is no "HON" branding or labeling on the chair.
* Made in China.

I'll update the review if anything changes as we use the chairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price you can't beat the quality., May 29, 2012
I was skeptical at first, but this chair exceeded my expectations by far. It's really comfortable and really well built...way more solid than other chairs in the same price range. It rolls nice and you can lean back in it, sort of like a rocking chair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sitting on a cardboard is more comfortable., April 24, 2013
This is actually the first time Amazon's customer reviews were so far off from my user experience. This chair is not worth $90+ at all. The mesh fabric is really low quality, and I mean like substandard low. Forget about sitting with shorts on this chair, the fabric is razor sharp and feels highly uncomfortable on your skin. In addition there is no support when seating on this chair. Your butt just sinks in and hits the hard surface after a couple of minutes (I weigh 180 pounds, so weight is not an excuse). Basically like sitting on a wood chair, only difference―a wood chair has actually a smooth surface. Mesh fabric in general is supposed to deliver some kind of air circulation―forget about it, this seats gets very hot, very fast. This item is a huge disappointment. Made in China is not an excuse either, the chair is pretty sturdy, no problems on the Chinese manufacturing side here. The engineering of the chair is the real issue, it is just so uncomfortable, and this statement comes from a healthy young adult who is in very good shape.

One of my other big complaints with this chair is the tilt function. You can not remain seated in a tilted position. The tilt lock is ridiculous, since you are not able to lock it when tilted. You can only lock it so it does not tilt. I did adjust the tilt tension but the chair would still not stay tilted, no matter how I sat. It is more like a hectic rocking motion that the chair provides. I am a 5 ft 11 male, again I weigh 180 pounds so its definitely not me, it's the chair. There is no reason for this chair to not perform the way an office chair is supposed to.

According to the reviews that I read so far the hon company seems to have pretty good customer service, and I really appreciate that, but in this case I will just go ahead and take advantage of Amazon's top notch return policy. I will return the the chair tomorrow after a very uncomfortable week with this chair, even though I will have to pay for the shipping and its going to be quite a hassle to dissemble it.

I do recommend the "Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Multifunction Chair, Black" which is almost double the price (~$172) but centuple times better than this chair. It arrived today and it feels like sitting on a cloud. It also stays tilted! The list price of the chair is $459 so getting it for $172 here at amazon is really a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chair, September 28, 2012
I was a little leery about buying a chair without sitting in it but I am glad I did. Very padded and a great value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Basyx HVL210, April 27, 2013
The seat cushion compresses immediately and leaves you sitting on the framework. I had to take throw pillows off my couch to be able to use it. After a half hour or less the pneumatic cylinder compresses and you are sitting with your desk at chest level instead of at a comfortable level. I have contacted customer service but heard nothing from them yet.